Android vs Apple ... the charging port

Jim_in_VA

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The charging cable..with Apple upside down whatever it fits. With my S5 I have to align it perfectly and always jab it it in after a few tries. I think this this will eventually wear out the port or the cable when I keep trying to stick it in. Apple got it right with their cable.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Well, we've had A LOT of Android phones and TBH I've never heard of anyone wearing their charging port out. If you're reasonably careful I think it'll last the life of the rest of the phone. No reason to "jab" it in their there out of haste. ...and I also think there will be a more universal fitting USB in the future. Using open standards like Android does means that some innovations take longer to come to fruition.

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
You can use a standard micro USB cable to charge your phone, you don't have to use the USB 3.0 cable that came with it. I do agree that the full USB 3.0 port is a little finicky but the bright side is that you can buy cables for $1 that will actually last. In order to get lightning cables that would last for longer than a month, you had to spend at least $20 to get Apple's.

The new micro USB standard should be coming out soon and it allows for a universal alignment like the lightning port. You can plug it in every which way and it won't matter. I do think Samsung has realized the error in going with full on USB 3.0 with the S5. They stuck with standard micro USB with the Note 4 and Alpha smartphones. The S6 will likely switch back to micro USB or use the new standard.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
The new micro USB standard should be coming out soon and it allows for a universal alignment like the lightning port. You can plug it in every which way and it won't matter. I do think Samsung has realized the error in going with full on USB 3.0 with the S5. They stuck with standard micro USB with the Note 4 and Alpha smartphones. The S6 will likely switch back to micro USB or use the new standard.

They ditched the USB 3.0 with the Note 4? That's a bummer. I like the 3.0 charger cable. While it is a bit harder to line up in the dark, I think it feels much more secure when plugged in than the flimsy standard USB charge cable. I like that you can use both as well. I really don't find it a big deal to have to line it up properly.

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
The difference is everyone has a micro USB cable to charge your phone if you go somewhere but not everyone has a iPhone one. Also they changed there cable style after all of these years and screwed everyone who bought accessories for the old style. I know you can get a adapter but when you use a docking station its a pain. I never heard of anyone wearing out there port. I have been using micro USB on my android and blackberry and never had a issue. Sounds like user error to me.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The charging cable..with Apple upside down whatever it fits. With my S5 I have to align it perfectly and always jab it it in after a few tries. I think this this will eventually wear out the port or the cable when I keep trying to stick it in. Apple got it right with their cable.

Apple's will go in no matter what but honestly .. that is about it. I have heard nightmares about "lightning cables" dying over and over and people having to buy new ones.

Also ... with Apple ... You have to find someone else with a "lightning cable" just to get a charge ... with Android the USB 2.0 slot is used for many things so chances are you can find something to plug it into. I have even used my PC headset charging base to charge my phone since it is also a 2.0 slot.

Just don't be to hasty with how you put it in .. also look at the 2.0 slot when it does go in .. remember which side is facing up .. makes life easier :).

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
The only time I had problems with putting my charger in the port was when the flap was attached. Once it broke off it was easier. Trying not to break the flap made me nervous.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
That port is so annoying.... never got in from the first try. I'm really happy Sammy reverted to the regular micro USB on the note 4 and other newer devices.

Posted via Android Central App

JediEwok

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Apple's will go in no matter what but honestly .. that is about it. I have heard nightmares about "lightning cables" dying over and over and people having to buy new ones.

I used to have a iPhone 5C and the lightning cables would die all the time, and they are like $20 at Wally World.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I started doing what Almeuit said a while back. My S2 and Moto X get plugged in with the spring clips facing down, and my Nexus 5 and M8 the spring clips face up.

Sent from an AOSP M8

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo