'Seraching For GPS' Notification every time I unlock - Lollipop

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys

I Updated to lollipop as soon as it came out, and I am really happy with it at the moment, however something is annoying me a bit or else I'm just not sure why its happening -

Every time I unlock wake the screen up using the side lock button, i get a notification saying it is searching for GPS -

Why does it do this every time? I havent moved locations and I'm also connected to wifi so I don't feel it is necessary to constantly check the GPS position

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
After the update have you checked your location preferences? I'm not familiar with all the changes in LP but perhaps it changed your location preferences and solving your issue will be as simple as checking a tick box or unchecking one in your settings. That's where I would start.

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I cant see that anything is different - Its very annoying to be honest as I cant check the pedometer, because i unlock and it pops up about the GPS - Weird

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
You never mentioned the app thing. Check the settings for your app, or uninstall it. I'm wondering if maybe it isn't compatible with LP abd there's some kind of conflict. Without uninstalling it try force closing it from your app manager and put the phone to sleep and wake it up. If it doesn't do it then you may have found the issue. If the app is auto starting.

Posted via Android Central App

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Sorry i dont know which app you mean? I havent mentioned any app - Ive been thru the weather app settings and its not set to refresh on wake up

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
The pedometer app. Not sure if you use any others, besides maps and weather which are Google apps, that use our ask for location. Airpush is a good app for looking at permissions in other apps. It could help you find all of your apps that use GPS. Although I was only thinking of the pedometer app when I mentioned it.

Posted via Android Central App

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
The pedometer app is built in - And it doesnt use the GPS -

The app that is cuasing the notification is 'Lollipop UI' - So android system i assume

Why is it doing this? Does nobody elses do it? Cant someone please just.. check?

barry1964

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I've just got an S5, and I imeadiayely updated it to LP and it does exactly the same thing. It might be a system thing. LP has smart locking so that the screen lock can be set to be either active or inactive when you are in a designated safe place. For instance home. Logically it would need to check where you where to decide weather to activate the screen lock or not. BTW this isn't an answer, it's just a supposition based on what I personally think could be happening cos that's the only way I can see it functioning. The only other way would be to activate the GPS everyone the device moved which would be a massive drain on resources, but I could be wildly out. As I said it's speculation!

Posted via the Android Central App

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not that familiar with LP at this point however over the years Android has become better and better at managing resources. As barry1964 points out using the GPS will require some resources however I would imagine having the GPS on all of the time would be far less annoying for the user and may be managed in such a way that it puts very little strain on the battery. The only other concern would be privacy, but Google knows everything about you already so is that really such a concern? Meanwhile if barry1964 is correct and this is tied to the smart lock perhaps there is a setting in there that turns it off, if not perhaps you could disable it in your app manager. I might try it just to see if it is the cause of this issue? Then once you know you can make an informed decision as to whether you want this function or not, or if you plan to use it or not.

Detectionable

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Mine does the same thing, never got around to finding out why yet, but I assumed it was the "Home unlock" thing that I disabled ages ago, hasn't fully disabled maybe

icebubba

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Are you using the weather widget? That might be causing it if the widget is set to find your location. It must be something like that.

Posted via the Android Central App

RacegirlAng

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same problem getting a "searching for GPS" notification every time I unlock my phone, and I am unable to dismiss it. I am also finding it very annoying and would like to know how to disable this notification. Please help!!!!!

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
My Lollipop Galaxy Note 4 also searches for GPS every time I unlock. My main concern about this is that I view my lock screen A LOT and don't want to burn through my battery with GPS every time I want to check what time it is or if I have any notifications.

I'd rather not disable my GPS all together as it's useful for geotagging my photos and other apps which use it much more responsibly.

If anyone knows how to disable this I would be very interested to hear!

hibsbabs

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I searched high and low, disabled weather apps, notifications, etc. Nothing worked. In locations I noticed I had the Walmart app. I uninstalled it, and now the searching for GPS is gone!!! So more or less likely it is an app that is causing that annoying notification on the lockscreen. Go into location under the settings menu and see which apps are using it. Good luck!

Last edited:

AnnoyedAndroid

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
If I'm understanding tomothy94 correctly, the issue is the notification, not the fact that GPS is working. That said, I am in the same boat.

If I could talk to the developers, I would tell them that I turned on GPS. Therefore, I know that it is trying to find my location all the time. I do not need my phone to inform me of this. Just find my location and stop telling me about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa