Apps on SD card moving back to device after update

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I just learned that this is indeed still a problem on 6.0....and even with this new Adopted Storage feature which treats the card as internal storage, you STILL have to move the apps back after updates. What's the freaking point of adopted storage then?!

Posted via the Android Central App

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I just learned that this is indeed still a problem on 6.0....and even with this new Adopted Storage feature which treats the card as internal storage, you STILL have to move the apps back after updates. What's the freaking point of adopted storage then?!

To use Adoptive Storage would require users to back up all data on their existing SD cards and reformat the cards to Adoptive Storage before replacing the data. Those cards would then be linked only to that device and not interchangeable with other devices. Samsung took the view that this was just asking for trouble... I mean, can you just imagine the threads about that!

However, you can still activate the, "Adoptive Storage", feature on the S7's by following these instructions...

How To Set Up Adoptable Storage On Samsung Galaxy S7/S7 Edge Without Rooting Your Device

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Yea but I still find the feature pointless. You can manage your storage better by treating the card as a separate storage location. Most apps allow you to choose where to store data.

Adopted storage will also hit performance as it's limited to the speed of the card. The fastest cards aren't going to be near as fast as onboard storage.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
To be honest BlurryEyed, I haven't bothered converting my SD card to Adoptive Storage on Marshmallow, for exactly the reasons you have stated.

L_Spilker

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Use app2sd to move multiple files at once to sd card. Need root. I hate how laggy and flaky my phone has become after installing a 64gb card and various apps.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Yea but I still find the feature pointless.
As as advertising feature, it's quite a new notion. As a technical feature
it's about as useless as a watch with no battery. After all, it's going to be right twice a day.

Adopted storage will also hit performance as it's limited to the speed of the card. The fastest cards aren't going to be near as fast as onboard storage.
Not true at all. The interface to the external card on a particular phone may not be as fast as the interface to internal storage, but the interface from my Android 2 phone to its internal storage is a LOT slower than a current phone's interface to its external storage. (And there's no reason the external and internal buses can't be the same speed on the same phone.) The "onboard RAM is always faster than off-chip RAM" adage is from about 1980. And about as dead on a lot of devices. (And it's about RAM, not EAROM.)

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
The SD card life cycle is far greater than that of the phone itself though, so use and abuse

This is completely wrong. The irony of SD cards is that for longevity and reliability, they should not be constantly written and rewritten to. I have unmounted my SD card and my S5 is running a lot better now. The way it should. And I don't have to constantly shuffle apps back to the SD card after app updates.

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Any tech articles to back up that theory? Photographers are constantly reading\writing to SD cards that keep on going without failing....

Posted from AC on Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900V

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Any tech articles to back up that theory? Photographers are constantly reading\writing to SD cards that keep on going without failing....

Memory Cards - How to Extend Their Life and Keep Them Healthy - Digital Photography School

SD cards were not designed for long term storage like they perform in a phone. The way photographers use them is ideal for longevity and reliability. Photographers load up images, transfer them to computer and then wipe the SD card. Phones however load up images, apps etc and they just sit there for years. SD cards have a limited amount of write cycles. As the above article shows, when an SD card sits in a phone, the internal storage of the phone has constant access to the SD as it needs to. This is the same wear as non stop writing and rewriting of the SD card, dramatically reducing reliability and service life. So yes, photographers can use SD cards constantly and have many years of life out of them. But phones are completely different as it is a constant usage/wear environment that it was not actually designed for.

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I have a 64gb Samsung microSD card I've been using for about 2 years now in my S5.

I doubt I've come anywhere close to 100,000 read\write cycles. Works just fine.

I stand firm that the SD card will likely outlive the phone.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have a 64gb Samsung microSD card I've been using for about 2 years now in my S5.

I doubt I've come anywhere close to 100,000 read\write cycles. Works just fine.

I stand firm that the SD card will likely outlive the phone.

Each to their own. I find it hard to believe that the heads of all the phone manufacturers are all in a conspiracy together to diss on SD cards just so that they can charge extra for increased internal storage. The CEO of Motorola slammed SD cards as slowing the whole phone down and challenged people to take their SD cards out and compare the performance difference. Motorola has nothing to gain at the moment because their phones still have SD support.

Yes it sucks passing extra for higher internal storage but I would rather do that than stuff around with SD cards that slow the phone down and potentially corrupt.

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Buy quality SD cards. I've yet to have one fail.

S7 now has an SD card slot because it was missed on the S6.

My next phone will definitely have more onboard storage, but that doesn't mean I'm willing to pay inflated prices for it and its purely for the fact that I get annoyed with having to move apps back to the SD card when updated. I keep media on the SD card and apps I don't use as often.

Steve Swift

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
The solution seems to be an app that moves apps back to the SD. Of course, it will get migrated back to the internal storage every time it gets updated. :)
This reminds me of the village where the barber shaves everyone who doesn't shave themselves. So who shaves the barber???

Batgus3

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
I have an LG Tribute2 with the same problem. I don't usually notice it until I get the device storage error message. First I clean the cashe, run an app cleaner and try again. If I get the error a 2nd time I then check the apps location and move back as many as I can to the SD card. I don't have the option to default the apps to external storage. With as expesive as phones are and with ALL the companies wanting us to get the newest and the best, you would think this issue would be resolved by now. I don't know about any of you, but my phone seems to take a long time to move each app to the SD CARD.

Batgus3

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Want to hear something strange? My wife has the EXACT same type of phone as I do, the LG Tribute 2, yet she doesn't have the problem. Anyone know why?

zita williams

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
hi
thanks so much though I do feel a bit daft for not working that out myself!
I had moved app like facebook etc to sd card then today got a notification saying my device storage was almost full
went to app manager and all the ones I had updated a couple of days ago had gone back to device storage
so I guess everytime I update an app check it
I didn't realise Andriod was not designed to run apps from SD card

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87