Can I get some help with a group messaging problem for my S5?

A

AC Question

Group messaging problem for S5

So I might be a little slow with the uptake, I just changed over from a 'dumb' phone to a smart phone. One of the main reason for the change was I was getting fed up with not being able to get group messages. Low and behold I still can't. Pretty upset at the moment. I have never had an iphone or other apple product which I message through, but all the messages come in separately like on my dumb phone, but WORSE because now the text says download so I can't read it period (icing on the cake it won't download when I click it). I have seen some people mention getting texting apps, like textra. I know people with the S3 and their default settings allow for group messages, do I have to download an app to just get messages?

Please let me know if there is a way to receive group messages on my phone without using an outside app, or if you have a recommendation on an app.

Like I said I am kind of new to smart phones, so maybe I am missing something that is obvious, but I had an S3 owner of 2 years look at it without success. It seems crazy to me that an updated model can't handle group text (including others with iphones).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Group messaging problem for S5

Welcome to Android Central! Do you have your mobile data (3G/4G) turned on? Group messages come as MMS, which requires mobile data (not voice signal or wi-fi).