Why won't my Kindle books rotate?

Seeker4

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Kindle books won't rotate

I am running the Kindle App on my Galaxy S5. Suddenly, today, books can be read only in landscape mode and will not rotate back to portrait. The app itself (screen showing available books) rotates fine, as does everything else. It's just that reading a book is locked in landscape mode.

Not sure what happened, but it was working fine the last time I tried it. I've been looking for an "unlock" item for reading in the app, but cannot find one.

Any suggestions on how I get auto-rotate (or even manual rotate) back for reading a book?

Thanks!

Seeker4

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Kindle books won't rotate

Finally found the answer. I kept rotating and tapping in the lower right corner. After a half dozen times, the lock icon appeared and tapping it to unlock solved the problem.

I'm guessing I was tapping on the Galaxy's back button and slipped off and hit the lock icon one time.

phfoneman

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site

Thank you for posting this information. I had the same problem with my Mother's Samsung tablet and was looking for a lock in the "upper" left corner. You are the only kind person that I found willing to share this information about the "lock" in the bottom "right" corner. I would have never found this without your help!!! Thank you very much!!!!! John

Bocasthunder

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site

Thank you, that fixed my problem.

These clean interfaces with buried features under meaningless icons are bad enough, but tapping on random parts of the screen? Who thinks of this stuff?

Tobias Lundin

May 31, 2016
Visit site

Thanks for the tips!

I was also forced to disable "word Wise" before even getting close to hitting the spot of the lock icon as that feature share exactly that space when enabled...

Mr_Nil

Sep 16, 2016
Visit site

Not sure what happened, but it was working fine the last time I tried it. I've been looking for an "unlock" item for reading in the app, but cannot find one.

Any suggestions on how I get auto-rotate (or even manual rotate) back for reading a book?

Right so... Took a while to spot it, but....

Rotate your phone counter clockwise and the lock icon will appear. You can then tap it to lock or unlock rotation.

Jkthomas77

Jan 3, 2017
Visit site

Finally found the answer. I kept rotating and tapping in the lower right corner. After a half dozen times, the lock icon appeared and tapping it to unlock solved the problem.

I'm guessing I was tapping on the Galaxy's back button and slipped off and hit the lock icon one time.

Bless you, this was driving me crazy until I Googled it and saw your post.

Bernadette Smith

Jan 7, 2017
Visit site

Thank you so much, I remember touching the lock symbol and have been frustrated for days and thus fixed it in seconds. 😀

Last edited:

jkmail

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Success on my latest attempt. While in a book I turned the device counter clockwise to portrait mode and was able to get the lock icon to appear on the top right after I tapped there

Why do some things have to be so damned hard..

John

FanakapanAnnie

May 21, 2018
Visit site

Thanks Seeker4. Tapped down at the bottom right hand corner, and sure enough a padlock turned up. Rotation works again. Its amazing how the tiniest little things can frustrate:)