Firmware upgrade encountered an issue Kies does not recognize device. How can I resolve this?

southernphantom

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
"Firmware upgrade encountered an issue"; Kies does not recognize device

My S5 automatically updated to the awful 5.0 firmware, and I started trying to revert to 4.4 once I realized how much battery 5.0 seemed to drain. I attempted to use the reversion/downgrade tutorial seen here, not realizing that it was not possible as I am using AT&T and my phone has a locked bootloader. I then attempted another site's tutorial with a different set of firmware, figuring it was at least worth another shot, and got the "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue" error after Odin delivered a FAIL message. I then tried to use Kies' emergency recovery feature to resolve this problem, but Kies3 is not detecting my device, and says it is not compatible with the program.

Is there anything I can do to get my device usable again? If I can't find any solution, I suppose I'll have to bring the phone in to AT&T and exchange it under warranty. The Knox warranty has not been tripped, the device has not been rooted or physically damaged, and is otherwise stock in every way, so that would be straightforward, but I would really like to resolve the issue myself.