Updated my bootloader unknowingly, bootlooped my device, and can't find any firmware to match it.

DarkMatter425

Mar 11, 2020
Visit site
Background:
I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 model SM-S906L with Tracfone Wireless. In the past, I've experimented with trying to update from android 5.0.2 to android 6.0, which wasn't successful, but it involved flashing new firmware onto the device after bootlooping it to correct errors. It worked fine for a good while. Down the line I began experimenting with Magisk and the various modules it came with. An error in this lead to a bootloop that was fairly simple to get out of (boot to download screen and cancel, then attempting to boot to recovery would boot up the device). I found this annoying, but I worked around it anyway.

Where everything went wrong:
Just reciently, my device kept telling me there was an update availiable, but due to having TWRP installed, it would fail. In an effort to get it installed anyways, I fully wiped my device and restarted. The update then downloaded fine, but since I had already wiped my device, I figured it would be a good time to fix that bootloop issue I was having (looking back on this, I'm unsure whether having that update take place would have fixed the issue itself). I open up Odin on my computer and flash the same BL, AP, CP, and CSC files I did the first time I recovered my phone. It failed with the bootloader. So I do some quick googling and find somewhere saying just flash the AP, CP, and CSC files (looking back on this I definitly see this as a bad idea, but it was late at the time so I wasn't thinking). It goes through fine, but my device gets stuck in a bootloop without access to the recovery.

My Current Situation:
Since then, I've found out that the update raised the binary to 2 while all my firmware has a binary of 1, thus making the bootloader always fail to flash. I can't find any firmware for my device with a binary of 2. I found a version of TWRP that I can flash, so I have access to it's recovery now. I've seen sources say that my model SM-S906L is pretty much the SM-G920V, so firmware could work from that. However, flashing SM-G920V firmware with a binary of 2 fails at sboot.bin. I've tried flashing in other versions of Odin as well as extracting the firmware to remove the bin files so the firmware doesn't fail, but it still failed. Kies doesn't connect with my device and Smart Switch keeps saying my S/N is wrong.

I'm really running out of options and I was wondering if anyone here could offer any others.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, Welcome !

Get the correct firmware for your device from sammobile or XDA and country code .
Use all 4 slots
Bl
AP
CS
CSC

And don't play with majestic,Root, TWRP anymore just get phone back to where it was .

DarkMatter425

Mar 11, 2020
Visit site
I really wish it was that simple. Sammobile doesn't even recognize the SM-S906L as a device and all the firmware I've found after hours of searching on XDA have been for a binary of 1. I've flashed that several times only for it to fail with my device displaying "SW REV. CHECK FAIL. DEVICE 2 BINARY 1".

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I really wish it was that simple. Sammobile doesn't even recognize the SM-S906L as a device and all the firmware I've found after hours of searching on XDA have been for a binary of 1. I've flashed that several times only for it to fail with my device displaying "SW REV. CHECK FAIL. DEVICE 2 BINARY 1".
Have you checked samfirm tool ?

DarkMatter425

Mar 11, 2020
Visit site
Sorry for the delayed response. I'm currently using Odin 3.14.1 (the latest) but I also have 3.13.1, 3.10.6, and 3.04 installed on my computer. My phone currently is stuck bootlooping with the galaxy s6 logo appearing every few seconds. I can boot it into both download mode and TWRP. I had to go with TWRP because my phone wouldn't boot into it's stock recovery, but I can restore it back to the state it was in directly after the error occured by reflashing the files in which I flashed.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Sorry for the delayed response. I'm currently using Odin 3.14.1 (the latest) but I also have 3.13.1, 3.10.6, and 3.04 installed on my computer. My phone currently is stuck bootlooping with the galaxy s6 logo appearing every few seconds. I can boot it into both download mode and TWRP. I had to go with TWRP because my phone wouldn't boot into it's stock recovery, but I can restore it back to the state it was in directly after the error occured by reflashing the files in which I flashed.
So why don't you do that ?

DarkMatter425

Mar 11, 2020
Visit site
Yes, I used SM-S906L files for that. Currently I'm trying various SM-G920V firmwares in an attempt to find one that passes, but it's a slow proccess as they take some time to download, but I don't know how useful it may prove to be. All these files have a higher binary than 2, but they have seemed to also fail at the bootloader dispite not displaying the SW REV. CHECK FAIL. DEVICE 2 BINARY 1 or any similar error.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes, I used SM-S906L files for that. Currently I'm trying various SM-G920V firmwares in an attempt to find one that passes, but it's a slow proccess as they take some time to download, but I don't know how useful it may prove to be. All these files have a higher binary than 2, but they have seemed to also fail at the bootloader dispite not displaying the SW REV. CHECK FAIL. DEVICE 2 BINARY 1 or any similar error.
Try prince comsey Odin also for change of bootloader in Odin .... Odin option check the box says bootloader update also it's going take trial by error to see if any of these would work , I wouldn't mind helping but it's something can't be done on a forum so you have to try things out .

DarkMatter425

Mar 11, 2020
Visit site
Alright. I tried flashing both the 4 SM-S906L files and the SM-G920V Binary 2 file with the Prince Comsy Odin. I left Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time ticked and also ticked Phone Bootloader Update. Both flashes failed after sboot.bin, with the SM-S906L files displaying the error after failing. @mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Alright. I tried flashing both the 4 SM-S906L files and the SM-G920V Binary 2 file with the Prince Comsy Odin. I left Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time ticked and also ticked Phone Bootloader Update. Both flashes failed after sboot.bin, with the SM-S906L files displaying the error after failing. @mustang7757
Try Verizon see what happens