Complaint: Really irritated with the Android 5.1.1 update for T-mobile

kaleytrips

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
This new update took away the one function that I really liked from the Android 5.0 update which was the Interruptions (Priority) function (the one with the Star on the status bar). They replaced it with the "Do not disturb" which I think is so stupid. The worst part is that there a notification bar on the lock screen (which hides my owner information) which can't be deleted unless I turn Do not disturb off or turn off all notifications...which I don't want to because I have it on 24/7. If I turn off all notifications, I now have to unlock my phone every time to see if I have any messages/notifications/calls. I wish they could let us downgrade back to the Android version before this new one. I wish I had known before updating the software. Whoever thought of this, do we really need these huge notifications bars on our lock screens (especially the ones that we can't delete/clear from the lock screen? I miss those small icons on the status bar. Now, it looks like an iPhone. If I wanted an iPhone, I would have bought an iPhone instead of this. If something isn't broken, please please please don't fix it! Okay, I'm done.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I wish they could let us downgrade back to the Android version before this new one.
You can't "downgrade" due to the nature of how software works (they'd have to write a 5.1 "update" that would run with 5.1.1 in the phone.)

But if you back everything up - see Backing up an Android Device - then flash a 5.1 or 5.0.2 ROM, or whichever version you liked, then restore everything, it'll give you the same result, it'll just take a lot longer.

The problem is that after saying "no" to an update enough times, you get it anyway, unless you root the phone. (You still get the annoying messages, but the update "fails" when it sees that the phone is rooted, because a rooted phone can crash if it's updated, so you also freeze the updating app, so you have no update function until they come out with a working, well-planned, version. Then you back up, flash the unrooted ROM, update, restore, root, go through the whole process to keep THAT version.) I'm still on 4.4.2, because Lollipop doesn't give me anything I need that I don't already have - and 4.4.2 works.

caquito07

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
My phone has been completely trashed out by this so called "upgrade".

It is extremely slow after 5.1.1, constant app crashes, very lag response on every operation. Also, it will not lock on screen timeout, will only lock if I press the lock/power button.

My computer no longer detects the phone. I am trying to backup using Kies it does not connect, stays connecting and never connects.

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Try clearing your cache in recovery if that doesn't help after a couple days you may have to do a factory data reset.
Power down your phone, now press & hold the power button, volume up & the home button until your phone boots into Recovery. Now use the volume rocker to select Wipe Cache. Hit the power button to make it happen - give it a sec to clear the cache. Now use the volume rocker to select Reboot System - hit the power button & run you phone for a bit. See if this helps*

caquito07

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Try clearing your cache in recovery if that doesn't help after a couple days you may have to do a factory data reset.
Power down your phone, now press & hold the power button, volume up & the home button until your phone boots into Recovery. Now use the volume rocker to select Wipe Cache. Hit the power button to make it happen - give it a sec to clear the cache. Now use the volume rocker to select Reboot System - hit the power button & run you phone for a bit. See if this helps*

Already tried by clearing the cache, but no improvement. Now I am trying to backup my data to do a factory reset but the PC will not detect the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress