Google photos problem

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google Photos problem

Are you talking about the Google Search bar, or the search function for Google Photos?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Open Google Photos, swipe in from the left, tap Settings, and make sure Group Similar Faces is turned on.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Open Google Photos, swipe in from the left, tap Settings, and make sure Group Similar Faces is turned on.

It seems that this is the area I need to poke around in. I must have changed a setting inadvertently. Thanks for your help with this. You always set me straight.

Smartphone, Samsung Galaxy S5, Lollipop 5.0, Verizon network

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Outlook smartphone photos

Just started using Outlook on my smartphone for email. I get a email with a embedded picture. I can't see that picture unless I click on a paper clip icon. After I do that the picture displays. I want to put it in Google photographs. How do I do that? And is there a workaround? Thanks

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Location of Google Photos/google gallery

I know that Google Photos are stored in the cloud. Are gallery photos stored locally, and if so, does that decrease storage on the phone? Thanks.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Re: Location of Google Photos/google gallery

Yep, that's how it works. (You can see what's on your phone in Google Photos by going to "Device Folders" in the GP sidebar drawer thing.)

You can, however, tell Google Photos to remove pics from the phone once they've been sync'd, thus freeing that space back up. Look for "Free up device storage" in GP settings.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Thanks. That was a big help. One more question please. When I take the camera to Walgreens for hard copies, their machines only read from photos in the GALLERY, not from Google Photos. Why is that? I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

Janet E C

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site

Your photos are on the cloud, not on your phone. You probably need to download them to your phone. Next time, print them off before erasing them from your phone.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Your photos are on the cloud, not on your phone. You probably need to download them to your phone. Next time, print them off before erasing them from your phone.

Thanks. If I want to print the photos at Walgreens on their photo printer, I download the photos from Google Photos. They end up in my Gallery. I then go to Walgreens and print them. Otherwise, I don't understand the purpose of the gallery. It seems like a waste of storage space. What am I missing?

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Google Photos vs Google gallery

In many cases, when selecting photos, only photos in the GALLERY are offered. The photos in Google PHOTOS are not offered. I don't want to have two apps of duplicate photos. I know that GOOGLE PHOTOS are stored on the Cloud, but where are the photos in the GALLERY stored? Are they on the smartphone, taking up valuable storage. When I take the phone to Walgreens for printing photos, their machines only read from photos in the GALLERY. Your help please.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Google Photos vs Google gallery

Open any photo in Gallery > Menu (3 dots) > More info > Details > Path... this will show you the location in which a particular photo is stored.

Last edited:

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Open any photo in Gallery > Menu (3 dots) > More info > Details > Path... this will show you the location in which a particular photo is stored.

Thanks. So my question is ;since the photos in the GALLERY Are stored in the smartphone and uses storage space, and the same photo is in Google Photos, why do I need the gallery, other than getting them printed at Walgreens

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

If you clear off the photos from your device to save space, then be aware that you will need a signal, data or Wi-Fi, every time you wish to view a photo from the cloud and will increase your data usage.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

If you clear off the photos from your device to save space, then be aware that you will need a signal, data or Wi-Fi, every time you wish to view a photo from the cloud and will increase your data usage.

Thanks. You answered my question. I can always depend on you to solve most of my problems. Thanks again.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Google photos & Picasa

Can google photos be installed on a Windows 7 laptop? If so, how do I bring photographs that are in Picasa on the laptop to google photographs after Google photos is installed? Thanks

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: Google photos & Picasa

Yes, Google Photos can be installed on a Windows PC (though the PC app isn't much more than an uploader). Google Photos and Picasa access photos from the same source. If you use Google Photos, all of your Picasa Photos/Albums/etc.. will already be there.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Yes, Google Photos can be installed on a Windows PC (though the PC app isn't much more than an uploader). Google Photos and Picasa access photos from the same source. If you use Google Photos, all of your Picasa Photos/Albums/etc.. will already be there.

When you say that the PC version is available by uploader. What do you mean by that? How would i download Google photos from the web on to the laptop? Thanks again for all your help.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site

When you say that the PC version is available by uploader. What do you mean by that? How would i download Google photos from the web on to the laptop? Thanks again for all your help.

I meant that I think the Google Photos app for the PC isn't much more than a simple uploader that automatically syncs your images/pics to Google Photos, and that anything else is handled by using the Google Photos site via Web Browser. I could be mistaken though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo