How do I get a Chrome to open up the YouTube app when I click on a YouTube link?

tecmo sb guy

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi. Is there anyway to get Chrome to play a YouTube link in the YouTube app?

Because every time I'm in Chrome and click on a YouTube link, it will play the link in Chrome itself.

As opposed to Firefox. When I click a YouTube link in Firefox, it does what I want, it opens up the YouTube app and plays the video there.

I already tried Settings>Default Applications> and cleared all that. It didn't change anything.

Also ignore the first "a" in the title of my thread.

Last edited:

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi. Is there anyway to get Chrome to play a YouTube link in the YouTube app?

Because every time I'm in Chrome and click on a YouTube link, it will play the link in Chrome itself.

As opposed to Firefox. When I click a YouTube link in Firefox, it does what I want, it opens up the YouTube app and plays the video there.

I already tried Settings>Default Applications> and cleared all that. It didn't change anything.

Also ignore the first "a" in the title of my thread.

That's interesting...YouTube opens for me when I click on YouTube links. I was going to say look at your Default Apps and clear them - but sounds like that was done...

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Does this happen for all sites? Or maybe one in particular?

A test - search for one of your favorite youtube videos in chrome - and click on the preview...where does it play?

tecmo sb guy

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
Does this happen for all sites? Or maybe one in particular?

I bookmarked a YouTube link as a test and it plays it in Chrome. And then I went to YouTube.com in Chrome and played a video and it still just plays it in Chrome. It doesn't kick it out to the YouTube app.

A test - search for one of your favorite youtube videos in chrome - and click on the preview...where does it play?

Hmmmm, that worked. It asked me if I wanted to play it in the YouTube app and it did.

But what I want is to be able to play a YouTube video with a timestamp that's in a Chrome bookmark. Like you have this YouTube URL then add &t=1h1m20s to it. It doesn't it kick it out to the YouTube app from a bookmark.

Any ideas how to make that happen?

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I bookmarked a YouTube link as a test and it plays it in Chrome. And then I went to YouTube.com in Chrome and played a video and it still just plays it in Chrome. It doesn't kick it out to the YouTube app.

Hmmmm, that worked. It asked me if I wanted to play it in the YouTube app and it did.

But what I want is to be able to play a YouTube video with a timestamp that's in a Chrome bookmark. Like you have this YouTube URL then add &t=1h1m20s to it. It doesn't it kick it out to the YouTube app from a bookmark.

Any ideas how to make that happen?

I'm sorry..I don't - very peculiar though. It has to do with the way the video is embedded I imagine. I notice some apps that feature youtube clips play in the app while other's open youtube. So perhaps it's on the developers to ensure that the youtube content is embedded properly for mobile devices...but I'm not a web dev, sorry.

oggan

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
One workaround I find is when a video has opened in the browser, open the YouTube app and click the library tab at the bottom and then go to history and the video should be at the top there.

josh harrington

Apr 10, 2018
Visit site
Hey i know this is real old but can still be relivent. If you are on your phone you can share the link with yourself and click on it to open in youtube app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress