Problems with signal, sound and camera

rayvirgo

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Last January I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900F. Since then, I upgraded the firmware to Android 5.0. Unfortunately I noticed after I bought it that the Knox was tripped and the phone was a refurbished one. I have problems with the signal as if I set it to LTE or 3G, the bars go down until I have no connectivity at all. It works only when set to 2G. I tried different variants of firmware but to no avail. I even downgraded the firmware to Android 4.4 but the problem persists. I also had the Antenna replaced.
Another problem which is really annoying is that at times, the sound of the mobile is very low. I checked the settings and the configurations of the sound are all set to the maximum.
Lastly, and this is very strange, my Camera does not auto focus on Android 5.0 and above. When I downgraded to Android 4.4, the auto focus worked.

If someone has a solution for the above, please feel free to reply back. Cheers and Happy Holidays.

rayvirgo

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi. My carrier is Vodafone Malta and yes, their infrastructure is 100% compliant with the phone. I forgot to mention that I also changed the SIM 3 times, had my antenna replaced but to no avail.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Last January I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900F. Since then, I upgraded the firmware to Android 5.0. Unfortunately I noticed after I bought it that the Knox was tripped and the phone was a refurbished one. I have problems with the signal as if I set it to LTE or 3G, the bars go down until I have no connectivity at all. It works only when set to 2G. I tried different variants of firmware but to no avail. I even downgraded the firmware to Android 4.4 but the problem persists. I also had the Antenna replaced.
Another problem which is really annoying is that at times, the sound of the mobile is very low. I checked the settings and the configurations of the sound are all set to the maximum.
Lastly, and this is very strange, my Camera does not auto focus on Android 5.0 and above. When I downgraded to Android 4.4, the auto focus worked.

If someone has a solution for the above, please feel free to reply back. Cheers and Happy Holidays.

Hi. My carrier is Vodafone Malta and yes, their infrastructure is 100% compliant with the phone. I forgot to mention that I also changed the SIM 3 times, had my antenna replaced but to no avail.

Hi rayvirgo and a big hello to the beautiful island of Malta!

Lets see if we can get you sorted out. I will need to ask you some questions first.

1. From your posts, I take it that this was not a new Galaxy S5, G900F, from your carrier?

2. Could you post your exact, "Version", details as per #1.8 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

3. Could you install, free from the Play Store, Phone Info Samsung and under, "CSC CODE", post your "Product code", and, "Original CSC Code".

4. Is your phone rooted?

Last edited:

rayvirgo

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi.

1. I did not buy it from my carrier but from a mobile re-seller. It was unlocked and after a while, I noticed that via the Phone Info Samsung, the phone was refurbished, rooted, the IMEI and Serial No differed from the ones listed behind the battery and the Knox was tripped

2. AP: G900FXXU1BOL2
CP: G900FXXU1BOL2
CSC: G900FOXA1BOL2

3. Product Code - Not Active , Original CSC Code BTU

4. It had (or still has) customised ROM so I take it that it was rooted before I purchased it. Now, according to the Phone Info Samsung, it's no longer rooted.

For your info, the firmware listed above was automatically installed OTA.

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi.

1. I did not buy it from my carrier but from a mobile re-seller. It was unlocked and after a while, I noticed that via the Phone Info Samsung, the phone was refurbished, rooted, the IMEI and Serial No differed from the ones listed behind the battery and the Knox was tripped

2. AP: G900FXXU1BOL2
CP: G900FXXU1BOL2
CSC: G900FOXA1BOL2

3. Product Code - Not Active , Original CSC Code BTU

4. It had (or still has) customised ROM so I take it that it was rooted before I purchased it. Now, according to the Phone Info Samsung, it's no longer rooted.

Strange! I cannot find any stock Samsung G900F release for OL2 , Dec: 2015, firmware!

Your phone's Product code, BTU, shows that it was originally for the United Kingdom, unbranded.

I agree with you. It sounds as if it was rooted at some time.

My initial thought is that you should flash the stock Samsung firmware for your Product code by downloading the firmware below and installing it by carefully following the instructions and video contained in the links of #1.11 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Model SM-G900F
Model name GALAXY S5
Country United Kingdom
Version Android 5.0
Changelist 5508620
Build date Mon, 05 Oct 2015 07:14:38 +0000
Product code BTU
PDA G900FXXU1BOJ1
CSC G900FOXA1BOJ1

Last edited:

rayvirgo

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
The current firmware was automatically downloaded OTA. The CSC G900FOXA1BOJ1 was already installed before reverting back to Android 4.4 as this was downloaded from SAMMOBILE and the problems persisted. As indicated in #1.11, I always flash the firmware with Odin as Kies3 gives me an error that it cannot initialise. The strange thing besides this firmware is that the Phone NFO is displaying the Product Code as Not Active and that the IMEI and Serial No differ from the ones listed behind the battery.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
The current firmware was automatically downloaded OTA. The CSC G900FOXA1BOJ1 was already installed before reverting back to Android 4.4 as this was downloaded from SAMMOBILE and the problems persisted. As indicated in #1.11, I always flash the firmware with Odin as Kies3 gives me an error that it cannot initialise. The strange thing besides this firmware is that the Phone NFO is displaying the Product Code as Not Active and that the IMEI and Serial No differ from the ones listed behind the battery.

Product code not active can sometimes be displayed on rooted phones that have had a custom firmware flashed to them. More worrying is that your IMEI and serial numbers differ from those on the sticker as this could indicate that the phone has been blacklisted originally. You can check both your original and your new, IMEI numbers, here.

rayvirgo

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Both IMEI numbers and Serial Numbers are not blacklisted. So if I understood correctly, no matter how many times I update the firmware, the custom ROM remains intact. If in the affirmative, is their a way to re-initialise the phone by removing the custom ROM and re-install Stock Firmware? I have been ripped off and it's all my fault. Or else, is there a workaround to the problems I am encountering?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Both IMEI numbers and Serial Numbers are not blacklisted. So if I understood correctly, no matter how many times I update the firmware, the custom ROM remains intact. If in the affirmative, is their a way to re-initialise the phone by removing the custom ROM and re-install Stock Firmware? I have been ripped off and it's all my fault. Or else, is there a workaround to the problems I am encountering?

A stock Samsung firmware flash should overwrite and unroot you by flashing the stock, unrooted, kernel.

How long ago did you receive a Samsung update OTA?

Normally, the only way that you will receive an OTA update is if you are on the correct CSC and Product code for your phone in the first place.

rayvirgo

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
I received the OTA update with CSC G900FOXA1BOL2 yesterday after I downgraded the phone to Android 4.4. So if by flashing the firmware, the custom ROM should be overwritten right? So why am I encountering these problems?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I received the OTA update with CSC G900FOXA1BOL2 yesterday after I downgraded the phone to Android 4.4. So if by flashing the firmware, the custom ROM should be overwritten right? So why am I encountering these problems?

In that case, your firmware update may be correct on OL2 as there is a delay before the Samsung database is updated. Can I ask you to wipe the cache partition as per #1.3 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide

rayvirgo

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
It seems that the APN setting you forwarded improved the connectivity somehow however it's not saving the Vodafone internet settings. The signal however is intermittently unstable.

Last edited: