email using all of my data allowance

Sarah Mcdonald

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
I've had a warning text to say I've nearly used all my data allowance (next lot due on 1st feb) when checking my data usage my email has used over 800mb all my other apps are just a few mb each. can anyone tell me how to stop this.? my service provider told me to uninstall the app but as it the email app built into the phone I can't. I can clear the cache but disabling wasn't available. any help gratefully received.
thank you

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Open your Email app, tap Menu>Settings, and select each of your email accounts. Check their sync settings, and see if you can set them to Manual (which means the accounts won't automatically check--they'll wait until you open the Email app and manually refresh).

You can also turn off your phone's Auto Sync function, and just manually sync things when you want. Auto Sync is usually a Quick Setting toggle (swipe down from the top of the screen with two fingers). If not, then go to Settings>Accounts, tap Menu, then uncheck Auto Sync. On some phones, it might be in Settings>Data Usage.

Another possibly useful option is to go to Settings>Data Usage and turn on the Restrict Background Data option. Be aware that this might impact the utility of certain apps, though.