Grrr Insceffient Storage please help!

Gaxaly

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
Hello im new to the forum but not to phone problems lol. Its time to system update and im out of storage. Its driving me crazy. I use clean master and installed a 128gb sd card and moved everything over. What bothers me the most is im only using 6.4gb of the phones internal but the one labeled "memory storage" takes up 4.5 gb. That seems excessive. What can i do to make space?

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I would suggest you uninstall any "battery saving" apps and Clean Master (and all the like) as they accomplish nothing but a placebo effect. You can clear cache the proper way through SETTINGS>> GENERAL>>STORAGE>>(tapping on) CACHED DATA

It's not uncommon that a few gigs is dedicated to the OS.

Android Central App | S5 G900A kitkat root

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
How many photos do you have on your phone? If they are being saved to the device and not the SDCard, make sure they're backed up to Google Photos and then delete them all from your phone. Use the built-in function of Photos to remove those that are already backed up.

Gaxaly

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
I have no photos on the phone they are all on the sd card. I cant find anything else to remove except factory resetting. I love this phone but this is ridiculous.

conanbarb

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have to clear my cache almost every time I want to update any apps in the Google Play store so I feel your pain. I moved everything I can over to the SD card to no avail. 16GB internal memory just isn't enough especially when the Miscellaneous files takes up 6.04GB.

I did read, however, that Marshmallow will give your phone the option to use your SD card as part of internal memory so I'm hoping that fixes the issue. Probably have to wait to at least April before that happens though.

I have a feeling a S7 or 6P is in my near future though. 2 years with a single phone is an eternity in the IT world.

mgssrs

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I there any way to see ALL the files in the miscellaneous file? 6 gigs seem like way to much to me. Deleting the cache frees up enough to update things but with every thing on my SD card I would think I should have plenty of space.

Posted via the Android Central App

conanbarb

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I there any way to see ALL the files in the miscellaneous file? 6 gigs seem like way to much to me. Deleting the cache frees up enough to update things but with every thing on my SD card I would think I should have plenty of space.

Not that I've found. From what I've gathered, they are system files that we have no control over so they can't be cleaned up.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

You need root access to see everything in /Misc.
Cache files should be left alone to do their job, which is to speed up operation and which they they do well. So what good is an empty cache? Any space gained only temporary anyway since cache files will rebuild themselves.

Gaxaly

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply. Woke up phone is up to date and now i have more free space. Dont know how but after you clear any open space up restart or power your phone off and on. I think the phone didnt catch up with it self.

mgssrs

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
You need root access to see everything in /Misc.
Cache files should be left alone to do their job, which is to speed up operation and which they they do well. So what good is an empty cache? Any space gained only temporary anyway since cache files will rebuild themselves.

I have heard this before but the cache builds to the point where my apps won't update due to lack of space. So I would say the good of an empty cache is that I can update my apps.

SweetSaudade

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
You can also delete the .thumbnails file, as well as the faces one. That always gets me a fair amount of space back