S5 Common Fault!

Dougal95

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
Just received my THIRD grade A S5 from eBay in 3 months. The 1st two I returned as the earphone jacks were VERY loose. To the point of disconnecting if touched!!!
The 3rd one is better but still loose.
Being partially sighted, i use my phone as an MP3 player to listen to audio books.
The S5 is my 1st Samsung and really disappointed with this problem as I like the phone very much.
Having looked on YouTube I see its a major job replacing the sealed socket.
Any ideas are gratefuly received.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Can you contact the owner and tell them the phone you got had hardware issued? Can you send it back?

If you are dissatisfied with the S5, I would suggest looking at other device options in the future! There are lots of other great options that have good audio - the HTC 10 is one. And the Nexus 6P is a good all around phone. I've heard nothing negative about its sound quality. I would research some phones that are known for their audio capability and try those out in the store: plug in your headphones or the store's and see what it's like!

Posted via the Android Central App

Dougal95

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone else had this issue? I have several sets of earphones and full headphones. They all fit very snugly in two other (motor g phones), but very loose in the S5. I believe this is due to the sealed unit construction of the jack.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, but "common fault"? You bought them off eBay. There are no such issues with real S5s.

Go to a carrier store, somewhere you can walk in and hold and touch the unit. You don't even need to turn it on. Take your headphones and ask them to let you try plugging them in. I've used headphones and AUX cables in mine and they are "snap" tight.

You got screwed on your eBay purchases, I'm afraid to say.

Dougal95

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
Sorry, but "common fault"? You bought them off eBay. There are no such issues with real S5s.

Go to a carrier store, somewhere you can walk in and hold and touch the unit. You don't even need to turn it on. Take your headphones and ask them to let you try plugging them in. I've used headphones and AUX cables in mine and they are "snap" tight.

You got screwed on your eBay purchases, I'm afraid to say.

Thanks a bunch - a REALLY helpful post! It would be a fine world indeed if we were all as well off as you obviously are.
My only mistake was to use '!' in my post (by mistake) instead of '?'

I'm quite sure if they were fake (as you seem to believe), the vendors (reputable retailers) would not be offering 12 month guarantee's. Sure I can send them both back, but then I'm left overs, away from home and disabled.

If you've anything useful to add, then I thank you.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Go to a carrier store, somewhere you can walk in and hold and touch the unit. You don't even need to turn it on. Take your headphones and ask them to let you try plugging them in.

Did you even read this part of my post? Can you find someone (or somewhere) that has an S5 that you can look at and hold and try your headphones in? I wasn't trying to be rude, but if you've gotten three identically faulty phones from the exact same vendor (regardless of "12 month warranty"), then I would be posting a complaint with eBay, getting my money back, and going elsewhere.

There are always going to be the odd phone/device/etc.. . that has a manufacturing defect. Getting three in a row with the same defect? I would be hard pressed to believe that they were ACTUALLY built by Samsung.