Active key on lock screen

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have the "active key on lock screen" set to ON, but it doesn't seem to be working properly for me. When my screen is locked, and I short press or long press the active key, the system is still requiring me to enter my lock pattern before launching the app. Any ideas?

AGee

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
did you get an answer to this... i just purchased mines yesterday and mines is doing the same thing... i might just end up calling Samsung...

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
did you get an answer to this... i just purchased mines yesterday and mines is doing the same thing... i might just end up calling Samsung...

No you are the first person to reply and let me know you have the same problem. No solutions from anyone either thus far. Please keep me posted if you contact Samsung. Thank you for the reply.

AGee

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
well i called Samsung yesterday, the lady told me it doesn't unlock when it has a lock code... i explained to her that isn't what the active key button menu states... and then she proceeded to sound confused, put me back on hold to check her "resources"

end result... i got nowhere but was asked to but it in safe mood and if it still persist to call back with my case # which she provided me with...
1 (800) 726-7864 -- that is Samsung # maybe u'll have better luck...

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
well i called Samsung yesterday, the lady told me it doesn't unlock when it has a lock code... i explained to her that isn't what the active key button menu states... and then she proceeded to sound confused, put me back on hold to check her "resources"

end result... i got nowhere but was asked to but it in safe mood and if it still persist to call back with my case # which she provided me with...
1 (800) 726-7864 -- that is Samsung # maybe u'll have better luck...
Ugh sounds like you didn't get anywhere. Thanks for the update. I have tried contacting Samsung and ATT in the past with issues and never had any luck. Each side always points fingers at the other side saying whatever the particular issue is, is their fault. I have been much given up on both of the "tech supports". Most of the resolutions to the issues and bugs I have encountered, have been resolved here on the forum by other members.

hanamizi168

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Ugh sounds like you didn't get anywhere. Thanks for the update. I have tried contacting Samsung and ATT in the past with issues and never had any luck. Each side always points fingers at the other side saying whatever the particular issue is, is their fault. I have been much given up on both of the "tech supports". Most of the resolutions to the issues and bugs I have encountered, have been resolved here on the forum by other members.
Works for me. I set short press to go into setting and it just works like it should. I have swipe lock as security.

markbc

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi I have an Active and while it basically is a great phone, I am really frustrated with the lack of updates. . . and also its kind of crummy voice phone quality… But your thread is about the lock screen and active key ;-)

I tried your situation on my phone --setting active key enabled on the lock screen -even though I normally don't have that enabled.
Oh, before my results, I would offer one comment on @Hanamizi's results. I would say that he is probably completely correct! However, he does not have a real security lock enabled. Swipe is not a security measure. So It can't be compared to password, face recognition, pattern, etc.

Based on my testing tonight, if you have any real security measure -like pattern or password, etc., even with the active key enabled, When you press the “active key” while the lock screen is showing, you FIRST will have to enter the password, or pattern, or visual, etc.

Anyway, that's how it works on my Active -using either pattern or password. I suspect that’s the normal Samsung implementation.

Oddly enough, even with a pattern lock screen set, I have two options showing on my lock screen -use the phone or use the camera.
- When I swipe the phone I am "allowed" to make an "emergency phone call" only.
- When I swipe the camera I am allowed to take pictures.

In both cases I don't have to enter the password! That makes it more convenient than the active key –if you have a locked screen! For example, my Active key is normally set to camera (quick press) and phone (long press), and if the screen is locked I see that I would have to enter the pattern first to use either! ;-(

Actually, I don’t really have that problem since I have my Gear S watch on my hand --and it is associated with the phone -so the phone is automatically unlocked when in contact with the phone. When I I press the active key for phone or photo I get to those apps normally without issue.

(In order to test the lock screen, I actually turned off my watch -so the lock screen was simulating most common users conditions).
In short, the Active key really does not add much to the lock screen –you still have to do your unlock measure. Try placing apps on the unlock screen –since I see that I can use photo and (emergency) phone when locked –even without unlocking. . .

Hope this helps! Have a great day!

Mark

hanamizi168

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Hi I have an Active and while it basically is a great phone, I am really frustrated with the lack of updates. . . and also its kind of crummy voice phone quality… But your thread is about the lock screen and active key ;-)

I tried your situation on my phone --setting active key enabled on the lock screen -even though I normally don't have that enabled.
Oh, before my results, I would offer one comment on @Hanamizi's results. I would say that he is probably completely correct! However, he does not have a real security lock enabled. Swipe is not a security measure. So It can't be compared to password, face recognition, pattern, etc.

Based on my testing tonight, if you have any real security measure -like pattern or password, etc., even with the active key enabled, When you press the “active key” while the lock screen is showing, you FIRST will have to enter the password, or pattern, or visual, etc.

Anyway, that's how it works on my Active -using either pattern or password. I suspect that’s the normal Samsung implementation.

Oddly enough, even with a pattern lock screen set, I have two options showing on my lock screen -use the phone or use the camera.
-When I swipe the phone I am "allowed" to make an "emergency phone call" only.
-When I swipe the camera I am allowed to take pictures.

In both cases I don't have to enter the password! That makes it more convenient than the active key –if you have a locked screen! For example, my Active key is normally set to camera (quick press) and phone (long press), and if the screen is locked I see that I would have to enter the pattern first to use either! ;-(

Actually, I don’t really have that problem since I have my Gear S watch on my hand --and it is associated with the phone -so the phone is automatically unlocked when in contact with the phone. When I I press the active key for phone or photo I get to those apps normally without issue.

(In order to test the lock screen, I actually turned off my watch -so the lock screen was simulating most common users conditions).
In short, the Active key really does not add much to the lock screen –you still have to do your unlock measure. Try placing apps on the unlock screen –since I see that I can use photo and (emergency) phone when locked –even without unlocking. . .

Hope this helps! Have a great day!

Mark
You got it. That's exactly how the active key works. And I think there's still convenience by using the active key even with security setting. It should save you at least 1 extra action of opening apps(1 tap or 1 scrolling etc.)

If one have smart lock setup, that's even better. Like if you connected your phone to car Bluetooth, active key setup for opening Google Maps. That should help your safety driving a lot.