Edge Plus screen not as bright or vivid as Note 5

pivotalrex

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I got the Note 5, was debating keeping it since I have no use for the stylus. I just got the Edge plus and still have the Note 5 (14 day return window). The Edge Plus is not as bright and not as vivid as the Note 5. Shouldn't these be relatively the same since they essentially have the same specs? Did I just get a bad phone? Anyone else notice anything similar?

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I got the Note 5, was debating keeping it since I have no use for the stylus. I just got the Edge plus and still have the Note 5 (14 day return window). The Edge Plus is not as bright and not as vivid as the Note 5. Shouldn't these be relatively the same since they essentially have the same specs? Did I just get a bad phone? Anyone else notice anything similar?
I haven't compared the two personally, but I would assume the Edge Plus is using a different display because it's curved. I like my Edge Plus color. It's more realistic and not as overblown as most SAMOLED displays (IMO).

Ken Allen3

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I would have thought they should be the same. Same SAMOLED with same 2560X1440 resolution. Only the curves being the obvious difference. Interesting to try get ur hands on another one to test.

After reading the link posted below they should be the exact same brightness, resolution etc. The curves being the only difference as I thought above.

Posted via my SM-G928F

Last edited:

pivotalrex

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
thanks for the replies guys. And appreciate the comparison leggy. Apparently I have a defective unit. Called Verizon, spoke with tech support (who basically just had me start in safe mode) and as I was on the phone (land line), my Edge Plus display started to flicker. Will be getting this one exchanged.

anon(607340)

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
It's true, the Edge+ is not quite as bright or clean as the Note 5. Not something you'd notice unless you had both phones in hand, but yeah I had both and there is a difference.

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
That's funny cause I own both and love them both for different reasons . You guys are being way to picky I think there both stunning . The best display in the business nothing is close

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(607340)

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Stating a fact isn't being picky. I love my Edge+ much more than I did the Note 5. But the Note screen IS better, that's a fact. Probably due to the plastic substrate they have to use for the Edge display

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Stating a fact isn't being picky. I love my Edge+ much more than I did the Note 5. But the Note screen IS better, that's a fact. Probably due to the plastic substrate they have to use for the Edge display

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Actually, 'better,' by definition, is an opinion word; it is not a fact word. You could state that the Note screen reaches to such and such brightness level, and that would be a fact--or perhaps an error. But saying something is therefore better because of it is an opinion.

ucsdsig

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Interesting, but it seems that Displaymate disagrees with your conclusion. Galaxy Note 5 and S6 Edge+ OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out

What is especially news worthy and significant is that the performance of the OLED display on a flexible plastic substrate for the Galaxy S6 edge+ is now essentially the same as on a traditional glass substrate for the Galaxy Note 5, even at 500+ pixels per inch and 2560x1440 resolution.

orangeman

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I own a Note 5 and picked up an Edge Plus because I was switching carriers and wanted to try something new.

When I first saw the Edge Plus by itself I thought it looked fantastic. Then comparing it to the Note 5 I was really disappointed. It's not as bright at all levels (brightness turned off) . Colors aren't as vibrant, and the Note 5 whites are whiter.

It's weird how the human mind processes things. If I never owned a Note 5 I would have been delighted with the Edge Plus since I prefer the form factor of the Edge Plus and don't use the S-Pen. But since I know how much screen quality I will be missing, I don't think I can keep the Edge Plus. I have 2 weeks to decide. Screen quality is my #1 priority.

Make no mistake, they definitely are not the same. Reasonably close, good enough for most, but if you have the 2 side by side, the difference is quite obvious.

leggy

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Make sure both phones are using the same display mode. Setting/display/display mode. Also make sure the brightness level are equal on both phones and set up manually

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Lol. I put my S6E+ next to several N5's. My phone's display was brighter than every N5. And yes the difference is obvious. The tech sites also agree.

f7bc88e03a7ad6990b48cb47430fe383.jpg

Last edited:

orangeman

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Make sure both phones are using the same display mode. Setting/display/display mode. Also make sure the brightness level are equal on both phones and set up manually

leggy, both screens using adaptive display, manual brightness, identical settings.

The purpose for my post is to provide support to the OP that I am experiencing the same thing, seeing a significant difference to the point that my disappointment level will cause me to return a phone I expected to keep.

These discussions are usually frustrating because not all people see the same things so one sees it while another says it looks great. Plus there could be variance in the screen production over time, "mine looks great you must have defective screen", "site XYZ says they are the same and they are experts so you must be wrong" is often stated when somebody disagrees.

For the record my Note 5 is AT&T and GSE+ is T-Mobile. It is possible that my Note 5 is exceptionally good and maybe the GSE+ compares favorably to the average Note 5. Who knows? In my experience there was a signification difference and I wanted to corroborate the OP's experience.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
runblue