Help my Galaxy S6 Edge is not showing MTP/PTP and also fast charging isn't working?

inclementia

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
To be precise its not that usb is not connecting to pc or not recognised. The usb when connected it doesn't show mtp/ptp and all it does is charge.

My friend told me that in nexus5 u can go to storage n u can enable the usb settings but on s6 edge it doesn't show that option as my s6 edge was working with out any issue before and the main problem is that i cant be sure if its a hardware problem or software as the phone displays "charger connected" notification. No mtp/ptp notification appears.even the fast charging shows only charging so wht is the problem the cable ? the fast charger ? or the s6 usb port ? but the thing is s6 for still charges so usb prob nah then cable still works as its charging but wont show mtp/ptp so is the cable of low grade ?? or is the fast charger broken if so ok i will change it but why is there a problem with the s6 edge not connecting with the pc or not recognising the otg cable it says a device has connected when u plug it in n when u disconnect it it says disconnected but wont show u data in the otg cable extension so what the hell is wrong with my mobile software hardware help me if u can plsss
and i have tried this going to dialer n *#0808# n enabling ap and usb settings n enabling the mtp + adb so i did find the usb setting option but this also doesn't work if u got the same problem n were able to fix it please help me out

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you using the original cable? If you're using a different cable, be aware that some are used only for charging, and not data transfer.

Even if you are using the original cable, try a different one, since cables can fail unexpectedly.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Don't know if this will help you or not. With your phone connected to your PC by USB cable, pull down your Notification bar. Does the USB connection say "Charging"? To access your files on your phone from the PC you have to touch this notification and change it from "Charging" to " File Transfer MTP". That is what helped me.

inclementia

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
yes that the main problem you see s6 doesnt have that option of changing it to file mtp/ptp the option isnt therein settings and what i did was *#0808# and i also checked if it was in mtp or not but it was in mtp+abd still it only say charging so i havent been able to identify the problem i even checked with different cables and different charger i have been browsing through the net and i have seen some people with the similar issues and they also havent been able to identify the issue and i dont think its the usb port problem as it still does charge so. An thank you for your suggestion.

inclementia

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Does it work on other PCs? Or did you try a different USB port on your computer?

I havent tried it in other pc's but i did try the otg cable on it. It used to work fine but now it doesnt show me the folder/ files in it. All it does wheen i connect my otg cable is that it shows usb connected n i click it and it disconnects it doesnt show the folder or data in it before when u do it shows usb connected n it opens the folder but now nothing the usb does say something is connected but it doesnt show th efiles. when you connect a pendrive to your mobile it usually shows the capacity n how many files n space remaining in the storage but now only the internal storage is shown it doesnt show anything in the storage so i dont know what the problem.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Again, my files were not showing up either but the PC and phone were connected okay. I read a thread where it said to pull down your notification bar (upper right of phone). Touch the USB connection button and it should give you the option of selecting charging only, MTP, PTP, and something else I don't recall. You need to do this while you are connected via USB cable. I selected MTP and that fixed the issue for me.

Note: going into the settings of your phone and trying to select MTP that way did not work for me. Maybe I didn't have the USB cable connected at the time, I don't remember. But you need to have the connection first, then change the settings.

Good luck.

srome

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I've had this problem recently and what caused my Galaxy S6 not to connect to transfer files but only charged the phone was:

I have PC which I built with an Asus Motherboard remove all the bundled Motherboard Software - the monitoring, USB turbo software and similar junk they want you to install.. I've also had this in the past with Gigabyte Motherboard's bundled software. If removing this software does not work for you reload your system back to a fresh Windows install (If that's an option) and the phone will connect so you can transfer files and Pic's etc..

You should not have to change any settings on your phone for your PC to pick the phone up so you can transfer files.

This issue is defiantly a software issue with your PC.

Last edited:

fee_nix

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I am having the exact same issue, will charge but not allow any media transfer. It used to connect fine, haven't had to connect for a month or so and now it won't. I am using a surface pro 3 with windows 8.1. Very frustrating!

fee_nix

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Again, my files were not showing up either but the PC and phone were connected okay. I read a thread where it said to pull down your notification bar (upper right of phone). Touch the USB connection button and it should give you the option of selecting charging only, MTP, PTP, and something else I don't recall. You need to do this while you are connected via USB cable. I selected MTP and that fixed the issue for me.

Note: going into the settings of your phone and trying to select MTP that way did not work for me. Maybe I didn't have the USB cable connected at the time, I don't remember. But you need to have the connection first, then change the settings.

Good luck.

Are you using a Galaxy 6 Edge...? Because I am and the instructions you are offering do not make sense but thanks for your suggestion.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes, Galaxy S6 Edge. With your phone connected to your PC with your USB cable, swipe down your status bar (upper left on your screen). Tap on the USB connection and then select MTP. That worked for me.

fee_nix

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Can you please screen shot and add photo of what you are pressing in regards to USB connection? I think I know what you are talking about but the issue I am, and I think the original person who posted this is having, is that we don't get that option now, but used to. Oh and you said upper right in first post, upper left in latest post - do you just mean slide notification bar down???

inclementia

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Are you using a Galaxy 6 Edge...? Because I am and the instructions you are offering do not make sense but thanks for your suggestion.

Yes i am with you here the instructions he/she has offered do not exist or its not there in s6 edge do it used to . as now if i try to connect to my pc i doesnt show the mtp and ptp anymore all it does in charge so the instructions do not apply or i dont know what im supposed to do but once you connect to pc all it does is charge and nothing else no mtp no ptp thats the issue

owen243

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I've got the SAME issue.

No MTP Options. Even after *#0808# Option and select MTP, it automatically selects USB Debugging which i read should be off. When you turn USB Debugging off it turns MTP on. Only way to re activate is to use *#0808# however that re enables USB Debugging.
Catch 22

inclementia

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
I've got the SAME issue.

No MTP Options. Even after *#0808# Option and select MTP, it automatically selects USB Debugging which i read should be off. When you turn USB Debugging off it turns MTP on. Only way to re activate is to use *#0808# however that re enables USB Debugging.
Catch 22

yes im having the same problem but do u know what caused this i mean i dont remember doing anything no root no nothing so what might have caused this i also went n tried *#0808# and kept mine in the mtp+abd still it didnt work as u see so i dont know what to do now not only that due to it i cant evne use the otg so im really pissed of at my s6 edge

M Stuart

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm also experiencing this, or something very similar on my non-Edge S6. Symptoms:

- it doesn't fast charge anymore.
- when connected to a PC, the notification says "Charging", no MTP/PTP notification appears.
- Windows/Linux do not recognize the device at all. This means no file transfers, no SmartSwitch/Kies.
- OTG USB, however, it DOES work

I've tried the following, to no avail: different PCs, different USB ports, different cables, different chargers. Also performed factory reset, booted into safe mode, and the *#0808# trick. Nothing works.

Firmware version/build number: G920FXXU3COI9

franky_4_fingers

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
when connected to a PC, the notification says "Charging"
Screenshot_2015-11-12-13-04-56.jpg
if i tap charging . it does nothing..

it was working fine few days ago...:mad:

how can i change charging to mass storage or camera or something.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty