Help me install Custom Recovery on already Rooted Galaxy S6

A

AC Question

I recently bought a used Samsung Galaxy S6 (SM-G920S) running Android MM 6.0.1. I did notice that a custom kernel is installed on the phone. So I decided to see if the phone was rooted. Installed SuperUser from the play store, verified it with a couple different root checkers and they all say phone is rooted. Tested some apps like Greenify, Titanium Backup, System App Remover; and SU grants them all root access plus they work.

However, when I enter recovery (Vol Up + Home + Power) it goes to Android stock recovery. Is it possible to have a rooted phone without a custom recovery?

I've rooted multiple phones before, but I've always started from stock and installed a custom recovery (TWRP) when I first root the phones. I do want to flash a custom ROM on this S6, but I don't know how to go through with it. If it's already rooted how can I go in installing a custom recovery? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I recently bought a used Samsung Galaxy S6 (SM-G920S) running Android MM 6.0.1. I did notice that a custom kernel is installed on the phone. So I decided to see if the phone was rooted. Installed SuperUser from the play store, verified it with a couple different root checkers and they all say phone is rooted. Tested some apps like Greenify, Titanium Backup, System App Remover; and SU grants them all root access plus they work.

However, when I enter recovery (Vol Up + Home + Power) it goes to Android stock recovery. Is it possible to have a rooted phone without a custom recovery?

I've rooted multiple phones before, but I've always started from stock and installed a custom recovery (TWRP) when I first root the phones. I do want to flash a custom ROM on this S6, but I don't know how to go through with it. If it's already rooted how can I go in installing a custom recovery? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, it's 100% possible to have a rooted phone but still have stock recovery. I always have an intermediate state where that is the case. Rooting is required to flash a custom ROM, but you can still root without flashing, if you want to. A custom recovery does make flashing custom ROMs much easier (like TWRP).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramhja11