Will Samsung Pay be a factor in whether you get the S6 or not?

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Normally I'm not all that impressed with the mobile payment options. But the fact that Samsung will have the magnetic stripe technology is very intriguing to me. Literally any place that takes a card should work. That would be incredibly convenient. I don't know much about the technology but if this works as well as advertised it could have an impact on whether I buy the S6. Sounds pretty great but we will have to wait and see. What do you guys think? Anyone used this technology before and how reliable is it?

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah this really intrigued me as well. This is the reason why they purchased LoopPay. I will certainly be giving this a try for sure.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I bought a loop pay for $10 to try it out and I'm really impressed with it.

Used it no problem at Target, a small restaurant and Fresh & Easy.

It's gonna be awesome in the GS6.

Posted via the Android Central App

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
It would be a major factor if it was available in Canada although it doesn't look like that is happening any time soon.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I bought a loop pay for $10 to try it out and I'm really impressed with it.

Used it no problem at Target, a small restaurant and Fresh & Easy.

It's gonna be awesome in the GS6.

Good to hear it works well from someone with real world experience. I think this will be a bigger deal than some people think. Being able to use your phone to pay at ANY place that takes credit card....that's impressive and convenient.

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
It isn't a feature that would sway me from one device to another, but I do think it is a plus. If it really works the way they demoed it and if it works with 90%+ retailers...then it could become a factor as time goes on in future upgrades for me.

EMY92

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I was considering switching to an iPhone due to Apple Pay. I like the idea of virtual account numbers. I already use them when shopping online. The Samsung pay uses tokenization. I'm not sure if that is considered the same thing as virtual account numbers, but it accomplishes the same thing.

I also like that it will be usable in many more locations than those that only use NFC.

The Samsung Pay is enough to keep me from switching back to Apple.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The magnetic reader compatibility is extremely intriguing, it's one of the factors that's grabbing me about the GS6. I don't know if it's the deciding factor or not but it's definitely helping.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
nope if I can get some more knowledgeable posters to answer my fingerprint security thread. I still plan to buy the device but am not sold on using this functionality.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I always have my wallet with me anyway, so I don't really see what the big deal is. I still need my driver's license, work ID, train tickets, business cards, etc.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I have used Apple Pay a few times, not as exciting as you would think and you would also be surprised how many cashiers, clerks, etc don't know what it is. Apple is the master of hype and marketing. As for Samsung Pay, if its secure I will roll with it, but I also have a Google Wallet Card so I was ahead of all of them. I open the app change my payment method and use my card. Quick and easy and I don't have to wait for the cashier to figure it out.

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I have used Apple Pay a few times, not as exciting as you would think and you would also be surprised how many cashiers, clerks, etc don't know what it is. Apple is the master of hype and marketing. As for Samsung Pay, if its secure I will roll with it, but I also have a Google Wallet Card so I was ahead of all of them. I open the app change my payment method and use my card. Quick and easy and I don't have to wait for the cashier to figure it out.

I will use Samsung Pay since I don't have to worry about the cashier figuring it out. I can use it at a gas station and not worry about a card skimmer and at most places I shop, I don't hand my credit card to anyone, I just swipe the card on a machine sitting on the counter. With this set up, I just place my phone next to that reader and let it work without any interaction from the cashier.

As for my wallet, sure I always carry it, but I wouldn't mind not having to pull it out which allows people to see how much cash I'm carrying too. I posted earlier that while it isn't a deciding factor for me, I will still use it.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if I'll really utilize it, but the fact that they included MST was genius, provided it's secure enough. Apple Pay got neutered real early on when the amount of terminals you could use it at became apparent. Some brands actually dropped out of offering it.

When you're looking to buy an iPhone, Samsung wants you to consider them. By offering similar features like the fingerprint sensor and Samsung Pay, they're making the choice to switch a bit easier.

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Supposedly Samsung is not planning on charging a fee to stores to use Samsung pay, at least initially, which is different than apple play and may spur a lot of places to support it.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Supposedly Samsung is not planning on charging a fee to stores to use Samsung pay, at least initially, which is different than apple play and may spur a lot of places to support it.

Let's hope it lasts for a long time. As I learn more about fingerprint encryption, the more I am looking forward to Samsung Pay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthHONK