Samsung Galaxy S6 Carrier Branding with Glass Back?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Carrier Branding with Glass Back?

Lol the international version doesn't say that on the back though...does it?

Regardless .. A company branding their stuff to me is .. their thing. My fridge, car, washer, modem, router, thermostat, all that .. have branding .. So why have an issue with your phone having it?

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Regardless .. A company branding their stuff to me is .. their thing. My fridge, car, washer, modem, router, thermostat, all that .. have branding .. So why have an issue with your phone having it?
I'm not disputing it... It's their phone they can do whatever they want with it... I. Just saying it looks better without it... Geesh lol

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I'm not disputing it... It's their phone they can do whatever they want with it... I. Just saying it looks better without it... Geesh lol

You weren't saying that .. you were trying to defend as to why it doesn't have it as if you had an issue with branding .. So my question was how do you have an issue with them branding their own product? Your response was they don't have it on the international version. Sorry I disagree.. you can disagree with me.. That is totally okay since we are sharing opinions. Just saying to complain about a phone having it but your clothes, appliances, everything in life has it .. is pretty odd to me.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

You weren't saying that .. you were trying to defend as to why it doesn't have it as if you had an issue with branding .. So my question was how do you have an issue with them branding their own product? Your response was they don't have it on the international version. Sorry I disagree.. you can disagree with me.. That is totally okay since we are sharing opinions. Just saying to complain about a phone having it but your clothes, appliances, everything in life has it .. is pretty odd to me.
You definitely took my post the wrong way. There is nothing wrong with a company branding their product... All I was saying was that I personally think it would look better without it...it's their product they can do what they want...not sure why u got upset about that... Either way I'm still gonna get the phone... I don't have a problem with it

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

You definitely took my post the wrong way. There is nothing wrong with a company branding their product... All I was saying was that I personally think it would look better without it...it's their product they can do what they want...not sure why u got upset about that... Either way I'm still gonna get the phone... I don't have a problem with it

Not upset at all .. I think you took my post the wrong way... ;).

Simply saying .. if people want to say it sucks .. I simply want to ask valid reasons as to why a company can't brand their own product when .. all others do and no one complains.

That is it :).

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Not upset at all .. I think you took my post the wrong way... ;).

Simply saying .. if people want to say it sucks .. I simply want to ask valid reasons as to why a company can't brand their own product when .. all others do and no one complains.

That is it :).
I don't have an issue with the branding... I was just saying I personally wish the placement was in another position, or even if the text was smaller... But the phone looks fine with the branding on it... It's their product I don't have an issue with how they do it

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I don't have an issue with the branding... I was just saying I personally wish the placement was in another position, or even if the text was smaller... But the phone looks fine with the branding on it... It's their product I don't have an issue with how they do it

And thank you for explaining. You didn't before so ... that is why I questioned it. You have explained so all good :).

dmlv

May 11, 2013
Visit site

i did the same thing...went to my local att corp store and the staff (all were great) let me play with both versions. they were really into it as well as all were big big time android users joking with each other as to who is going to be the one to get the company one when it is available for them.

anyway..wow...these devices are gorgeous! just like the tech sites like AC mentioned in videos from MWC. And yes, i was disappointed in the logo vs "samsung" on the back but it is minimalistic. stores will have only the blue (edge) and white for display.

These were already to hit the floor for pre-orders tomorrow and had the device demo software loaded. reps let me try and uninstall some of the att and samsung bloatware but in the settings it would only allow "disable". could be because of the demo software which they said resets back to defaults if customers change things.

So bottom line, I can live w the small logo but no way will i purchase if the carriers block the ability to uninstall apps...not just hide. They actually agreed w me but said we'll have to wait for the real units to see.

also...one rep showed me the Next pricing and they were pretty fair. if i remember, about 27 ish for 24 month for the s6. the edge is priced like the iph 6 plus. $100 retail more for each size and a few $'s more on Next.

last thing..i took a few pics and the thing is snappy fast....incredible quality outcomes! will be the best android camera to date (imo).

The_Newtype

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site

Lots of interesting talk here. My opinion:

1) AT&T, Verizon, etc do NOT own the phone; it is not "their" device. They did not design it. They did not manufacture it. Everyone who says so is absolutely incorrect. Samsung is who designed and created the device. They did not design it with an ugly carrier logo on the back.

2) Some analogies are incorrect. If you buy an appliance and it says "Whirlpool" on it, that is one thing. Whirlpool created the appliance. What if you bought a Whirlpool appliance from Sears, and, on the front, it had a large Sears logo. Or Best Buy logo? Etc? How would you feel about that? Best Buy did not make the appliance... they just sell it. AT&T sells the phone; they did not make it.

3) Carriers who put their own branding on a device are absolutely sleezy and are using you as a walking advertisement for their company. They will continue to do this because people continue to condone it.

I cringe whenever I see a nice, shiny new car and there is a dealer logo on the back. Your car is a Honda, BMW, etc; not the dealer's name. I always force the dealer to remove their logo from my vehicle before I drive it off the lot.

Don't be a walking billboard for these corporations. It's disgusting.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

1) AT&T, Verizon, etc do NOT own the phone; it is not "their" device. They did not design it. They did not manufacture it. Everyone who says so is absolutely incorrect. Samsung is who designed and created the device. They did not design it with an ugly carrier logo on the back.

2) Some analogies are incorrect. If you buy an appliance and it says "Whirlpool" on it, that is one thing. Whirlpool created the appliance. What if you bought a Whirlpool appliance from Sears, and, on the front, it had a large Sears logo. Or Best Buy logo? Etc? How would you feel about that? Best Buy did not make the appliance... they just sell it. AT&T sells the phone; they did not make it.

3) Carriers who put their own branding on a device are absolutely sleezy and are using you as a walking advertisement for their company. They will continue to do this because people continue to condone it.

I cringe whenever I see a nice, shiny new car and there is a dealer logo on the back. Your car is a Honda, BMW, etc; not the dealer's name. I always force the dealer to remove their logo from my vehicle before I drive it off the lot.

Keep in mind that phones need to have a carrier's service to work out in the real world. The carrier wants to reflect that they're the one that's allowing your phone to function when you're not on WiFi. Not all carriers have all devices so they want to remind you and potential customer's that they're the one who has that slick Note Edge that works on their great network that their competitor doesn't offer. That is why there is a Death Star on the back of my phone.

📐He who controls the Spice controls the universe. The Spice must flow. n.Edge

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Well said I explain it similar way but someone will say still need service for the phone to work. Sure that's why I'm paying monthly service to the useless carriers. May be they should give some discount to carry their ugly logo like amazon sells their kindle with ads or no ads but on software.

Either way I'm more mad with Samsung that we don't have the option to buy carrier free unbranded phones from their US online store. No I don't want to import from some useless 3rd party site or 3rd party seller on amazon and pay crazy price. And more over the radios are all not compatible. I know the useless carriers will not change and have no shame but at least Samsung can sell it online like HTC, Moto does.

Posted via the Android Central App

scuba_steve

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Is the VZ logo under the glass or silk screened on it (and potentially removable)? My wife hated the logo on her last VZ Galaxy and I had to buy a replacement back just for that reason. I may be getting her a VZ S6 soon, but that logo may be a deal killer...believe it or not.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Is the VZ logo under the glass or silk screened on it (and potentially removable)? My wife hated the logo on her last VZ Galaxy and I had to buy a replacement back just for that reason. I may be getting her a VZ S6 soon, but that logo may be a deal killer...believe it or not.
Nice good for her on hating that ugly logo, nice to know few other people hate that thing. Unfortunately you are out of luck, that think looks etched inside the glass panel. Don't think that comes off with out replacing the entire glass back.

The_Newtype

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site

Keep in mind that phones need to have a carrier's service to work out in the real world. The carrier wants to reflect that they're the one that's allowing your phone to function when you're not on WiFi. Not all carriers have all devices so they want to remind you and potential customer's that they're the one who has that slick Note Edge that works on their great network that their competitor doesn't offer. That is why there is a Death Star on the back of my phone.

������He who controls the Spice controls the universe. The Spice must flow. n.Edge

Yes, that is how the carriers feel, but I still believe the entire system is backwards:

1) This would be like your cable company selling the service and then pretty much forcing you into buying your TV or PC from them (they force the TV/PC company to make a version for their network to "optimize" it. If the manufacturer doesn't comply, your cable company won't sell their product. In essence, they are the gate-keepers as to which devices we, the public, can use, etc.) This sounds absolutely absurd that we would EVER sign up for cable TV or high-speed internet and then go pick out a lovely TV from the cable company's selection of PCs and TVs, but that is EXACTLY what the carriers are doing.

2) Certain carriers do not have all phones because carriers want to have the device exclusivity. Why? Because, here in the States, historically, they do not want to try to win customers by the service alone; AT&T will offer you the Note Edge, but, strangely, it's absent from some other carriers. Wouldn't it seem reasonable that all carriers would want the device? Wouldn't that create true competition? It's a tool to offer people a reason to switch (or stay) with them. It's a shortcut. They do NOT want to win customers on quality of service alone, because that would force them to upgrade their networks. Not going to happen. We have the worst service in the developed world, but pay the most.

(Digression: Further, when the service is superior, they gouge and resort to playing dirty with their branding and your privacy (Verizon). Where else are you going to go if you need the coverage they offer? No where? You're stuck. There is just a lack of competition, and they know it)

3) Carrier's services are required for all cellular devices to work, yes. The issue is that they don't want to be seen as simply a dumb pipe that gives you data and communication services. They want to control the experience from start to finish. SIM cards were created to allow just this idea. You place the SIM card in a device, because, technically, that's all that should be needed to connect your mobile device to a network. AT&T/etc does NOT need to do anything to the device outside of programming the proper APN settings (even this is not necessary as most modern devices can automatically load such settings), but they literally go as far as to force carriers to create customized firmware for the phones to run on. Slow updates, sluggish phones and nasty bloat are the thanks we end users get for giving AT&T the pleasure of taking our money.

To refer back to my whirlpool example, this would be like your utilities company (which are far worse... ZERO competition) signing you up for water service in your neighborhood, and then forcing you to purchase your dishwasher and washing machine from them -- with their hideous logo on it of course. And you may want the Newtype 8000 washing machine, but, oh, too bad... only the other utility company has that model, but you are zoned for them. You are stuck getting whatever model your utility company thinks you would buy.

Sorry for the wall of text, everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa