Samsung Pay

cdjh

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
May be silly, but Samsung Pay is the most interesting thing about this device for me. Having had my CC as part of the Target hack, tokenization seems like the way to go. NFC payments are so few places I shop or I'd use my Note 4 for it more often. The fact that it will work with any traditional card reader and this is one of the reasons I strongly consider this device.

But it won't be available until summer?? If that's approaching the end of summer, I'm tempted to wait for the Note 5 with (presumably) a bigger battery and likely to have Samsung Pay also. Very disappointed none of the initial reviews will have a chance to properly use Pay. Don't like the idea of buying it hoping to use this feature only to find out it's a dud.

My main concern for the mag stripe emulation is that it will be finicky. I can just see the checkout person looking at you funny as you try to get your phone to talk to the card reader and they say "It doesn't work with Apple Pay yet." And you're like "It should work, with any reader", and they just roll their eyes like you're an *****. Or they think you are hacking something.

Anyone use LoopPay before and can comment on it's effectiveness or strange looks they get?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Release in summer could mean towards the end. So it might be wise to wait if you are open to considering the next Note device, which historically has been released in the Fall.

I'm also interested to see what others think about those payment options as well.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I've been with one of my friends a few times when she used Apple Pay and nobody really gave it a second glance. If Samsung Pay works and the Galaxy sells well enough then I don't imagine it'll get that many odd looks if people use it regularly.

I'm curious to see if cases have a big effect on it. I think it's 'range' is 3 inches so hopefully cases won't block it otherwise it's fairly useless.

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Release in summer could mean towards the end. So it might be wise to wait if you are open to considering the next Note device, which historically has been released in the Fall.

I'm also interested to see what others think about those payment options as well.

I have the Samsung pay beta, and I must say it is awesome. I used it even at a 711 where the card swipe is left to right and it worked like a charm. It's is smoove and fast even more it is user friendly from the install to setting up to using it. There are only a certain number of banks that support this but I bet more will catch on. With the token involved it's is a great security feature the fingerprint to use the app is awesome so that there are no worries if someone has your phone.

iPhone 5_to_GS4

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I absolutely love Samsung Pay. I have been using it for about a week and it has worked flawlessly. I love the fact that I don't have to carry my wallet everywhere.

Victor English

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I would love to try it out how do you get the beta??? I tried using Android pay and it doesn't work with my card(its a USAA card it should work)

Posted via the Android Central App

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
The only thing i hate about samsung/android pay is that it requires you to use a secure lockscreen with a pin or pin swipe method which disables the use of bluetooth. What i mean is, you can't initiate a call until the screen is unlocked.

If this is the case, which it has been on android pay so far, then this is totally useless for me. And yes, i set my BT as a trusted device and etc. If there is a setting or something I'm missing, tell me dangnabbit!

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I just turned off the lock and Samsung pay still works.

Thanks. Android pay won't work. If you shut the pin lock off, it disables it. Although, i honestly can't comment on Samsung pay as i don't have it yet. I just assume it will be the same for security reasons.

r56mcs

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Samsung pay requires finger print or password. So even if the screen doesn't have a lock the paying process has its own security block.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Samsung pay requires finger print or password. So even if the screen doesn't have a lock the paying process has its own security block.

Ok i gotcha. Well, I'll just have to wait till it's pushed to me to see if its going to work.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok i gotcha. Well, I'll just have to wait till it's pushed to me to see if its going to work.

Android Pay lets me use my fingerprint lock screen, not a password or pin lock screen. Fingerprint lock screen shouldn't disable the BT

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Nchaka

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't have the new Samsung phones yet. But I was curious, has anyone tried using it at the gas pump?
With the card reader inside the pump housing, I was thinking it would be hard to get the card reader and the phone close enough to work.

r56mcs

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
I think the problem with the pump is that Samsung pay closes out transaction within 3 seconds. But the gas pumps work differently in that the final dolar amount is not available until you are done pumping gas

ttrimmer

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
From what I've read, gas pumps won't work because there's a physical mechanism inside the reader that has to be pushed by a card to start reading the magnetic strip.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
From what I've read, gas pumps won't work because there's a physical mechanism inside the reader that has to be pushed by a card to start reading the magnetic strip.

That seems to make sense. Too bad, but hopefully they will start shipping Swpe cards soon. Preordered one about 10 months,ago. Between Samsung Pay and Swyp card, I'll just need my CDL and medical card for work on me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87