Early S6 users, how's your battery life?

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I really really hope the ~5 hours becomes the norm with this phone once all the kinks are worked out. I know the difference between 4 hours and 5 hours doesn't sound like a lot, but it's really a huge difference even if it's mostly just in ease of mind. I usually use between 3-4 hours of SOT in a day. Going to bed with 15-20% instead of 1-5% is a huge difference in just ease of mind.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure I'm so unique. I addition to lots of posts from other Android Central S6 users, there is a 7 page thread on XDA Developers with some calling the battery drain on the S6 "severe". Their suggested fix (turning off T-Mobile WiFi calling) did not work (that much) for me yesterday evening unfortunately.

I suppose, it did help a tad - my Standby power drain went from about 5% an hour to 3-4% per hour on WiFi (which is still absolutely terrible) and the Cell Standby % did drop some but the phone gets hot (84 degrees+) just sitting in my pocket on WiFi but not being used.

I've tried a soft and a hard (Factory) reset but there's some bug in this phone right now that is draining this battery.

Galaxy S6 Edge Battery Life | Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge | XDA Forums

If I was you I wouldn't wait a single moment more, all I've heard from you since you began posting are not normal behavior, you should get a replacement and go from there.

Again, this phone will never get less battery life than the Moto X 2014, that one had a Snapdragon 801, 5.2" screen, 2300 mAh battery and the regular last year specs all around, Galaxy S6/Edge has a better and a lot more optimized Exynos Chip, Power saving Memory, power optimized 5.1" Amoled Screen (Even when it's Quad HD), power Saving memory and so on. With that in mind and seeing that most of you are complaining about the Standby battery drain, it's obvious that the only one spec that can affect the S6/Edge battery life (Quad HD screen) is not the culprit, then it's 100% software related.

So, only thing to do here is wait for T-Mobile to fix it (Some people must complain about it if not they won't even know about it) or be pro active and begin doing what it has been suggested here and in other forums and try to pinpoint the issue. Like I've said dozens of times already, turn off the Smart network settings on Wifi(If you have it on the S6, I don't have mine yet so I don't know) and the Scanning Always Available option in Wifi advance Settings, you won't need any of that.

Wifi calling, same as GPS (Location) and Bluetooth, you can turn it on when you will use them, no need to have wifi calling always running if you know you won't need it.

I'd love to have mine so I could be doing all this things myself and posting my screenshots of the Battery Stats, but not until next friday at least, so for now I (we) depend on you early birds on do this stuff for us and see what happens.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Well after two days my battery life has improved dramatically.

I turned off location reporting, turned off smart scan and wifi always scanning, disabled tmobile bloat ware, disabled the bundled amazon app(this made a huge difference, app was crashing a lot, the phone stopped stuttering and over heating), and turned off location cards in Google now.

Got 4.5 hours screen time yesterday.

I woke up this morning at 4 am and took the phone off the wireless charger, and went back to sleep. Woke up at 730 with 99% battery left, that immediate decreased to 98 by the time my email app opened. So we will save 2% lost in almost 4 hours.

Wifi and wifi calling was on the entire time.

Cell standby still reads as eating ally battery. I don't know if I believe that.

Posted via the Android Central App

Thanks man for following suggestions, now you can see that doing simple things on stuff that you will never ever use, can get you a lot better battery life. And I'm sure that if you turn off Wifi Calling and just turn it on when you need it, you will even get better battery life.

Like I've said before, I know for sure that if I managed to get 4-4.5 SoT constantly on my Moto X 2014, I'm sure that I can get 5 hours on the S6 Edge once I get it. Obviously, adjusting it as I always do to all my phones, YMMV.

jojen

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
I think Samsung took the Apple approach here. My experience with iPhone was the battery life isn't amazing, but the phone charges fast. I could put my iPhone 5s on the charger with less than 10% for about an hour and I'd be back up to over 50 by the time I left the house. That strategy has worked for Apple and I think that's what Samsung is hoping to accomplish here.

Apple may have changed their minds. They've posted a total of 9 job listings related to battery life so I expect the 6s to have something happening in that regard this Sept.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
If I was you I wouldn't wait a single moment more, all I've heard from you since you began posting are not normal behavior, you should get a replacement and go from there.

Again, this phone will never get less battery life than the Moto X 2014, that one had a Snapdragon 801, 5.2" screen, 2300 mAh battery and the regular last year specs all around, Galaxy S6/Edge has a better and a lot more optimized Exynos Chip, Power saving Memory, power optimized 5.1" Amoled Screen (Even when it's Quad HD), power Saving memory and so on. With that in mind and seeing that most of you are complaining about the Standby battery drain, it's obvious that the only one spec that can affect the S6/Edge battery life (Quad HD screen) is not the culprit, then it's 100% software related.

So, only thing to do here is wait for T-Mobile to fix it (Some people must complain about it if not they won't even know about it) or be pro active and begin doing what it has been suggested here and in other forums and try to pinpoint the issue. Like I've said dozens of times already, turn off the Smart network settings on Wifi(If you have it on the S6, I don't have mine yet so I don't know) and the Scanning Always Available option in Wifi advance Settings, you won't need any of that.

Wifi calling, same as GPS (Location) and Bluetooth, you can turn it on when you will use them, no need to have wifi calling always running if you know you won't need it.

I'd love to have mine so I could be doing all this things myself and posting my screenshots of the Battery Stats, but not until next friday at least, so for now I (we) depend on you early birds on do this stuff for us and see what happens.

For those of us not on T-Mobile, this may not be an issue at all, so I just wanted to make sure people are keeping that in mind. With that said, in instances like this, I'd definitely bring it back for a new one. While I want this phone really bad to test out, I'm kind of glad AT&T didn't send them out this early.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Need to open tmobile my account app, press menu button, goto options. Goto wifi manager and disable it.

I went ahead (just now) and disabled most T-Mobile apps except for the Hotspot & Visual Voicemail ones. I don't like how many options that account app has to do things on the phone (even if off).

Dell May

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I had that same thought at first. However, with as fast as this thing charges I think that will mostly be a non issue for me. I can see how it might still be an issue for you and others though. Most of the time that I use my device for activities that keep the screen on and tax the battery I'm either in my office, truck (not while driving), or home where I have a charger. Plan on having the Samsung wireless charging puck for my office and bedroom. I also have a portable charger that I keep juiced for when I'm out on job sites, skiing, vacation, or hunting that I keep on me. I firmly believe I will be ok and that the positives far outweigh this one potential issue. I do wish they would have kept the display at 1080p. Samsung's main competition is the iPhone and the iPhone 6 isn't even 1080p. Sure the screen looks stunning, but sit the S6 side by side with the S5 and there isn't much of a discernible difference.

I'll be keeping my Note 4 around just in case but I am really excited to get this phone. I've gone to Best Buy on my lunch break the past few days to play with it and I come away more excited every time. The guys at Best Buy probably think I'm a nut.

Ha. I guess I'd be a nut too. I've done the same thing for months as I weighed which new phone to get. The Best Buy Samsung guy fist-bumps me every time he sees me now. He'll leave one customer and come tell me hello. But how else can you research these major purchases without hands-on time?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yep same here yesterday was so tough to get thru the work day. Cell stand by was the culprit and turned off Wi-Fi calling yesterday evening. But again in the night during stand by it went down from 100 to 85 with cell stand by taking most of the time. Now I have disabled every T-Mobile app in my phone and will check how today goes.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I went ahead (just now) and disabled most T-Mobile apps except for the Hotspot & Visual Voicemail ones. I don't like how many options that account app has to do things on the phone (even if off).

well. I have limited data, I do use Tmo my account widget to monitor the data usage.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Apple may have changed their minds. They've posted a total of 9 job listings related to battery life so I expect the 6s to have something happening in that regard this Sept.

i'll save you the suspense, it's called quick charge!!! i don't understand why android idle drainage is nowhere near as efficient as iphone. my GF goes to bed and only loses 1-2% on her 5s. if android just fixed this, it would make a gigantic difference.

overall, i'm extremely disappointed with the 2015 android flagships in the battery department. i don't care about thin phones or quick charge, i care about getting a full day out of my phone.

robertkoa

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate the warning as I would be using on Metro/ Tmobile.

This is far worse than I get on Galaxy Alpha now- for better Camera I may upgrade but I average about 4:30 SOT at about 20% 30 % brightness ( auto mode) over 10 to 12 hours and a heavy user.
On Alpha I can replace the Battery OR get the larger 2500 Mah battery - no options for S6.

Battery worries me on this S6 as would be first non replaceable Battery phone.

Like the power specs but not good for Pros who NEED phone in the field using like a Laptop as I do.

Suggest Samsung make S6 PRO at about 7.6 millimeters thick with 3100 Mah Battery= perfect !

robertkoa

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Well after two days my battery life has improved dramatically.

I turned off location reporting, turned off smart scan and wifi always scanning, disabled tmobile bloat ware, disabled the bundled amazon app(this made a huge difference, app was crashing a lot, the phone stopped stuttering and over heating), and turned off location cards in Google now.

Got 4.5 hours screen time yesterday.

Oh man, I use location services on my Nexus 5 and if i plan to get an S6 i would not want them off. For me, turning those two bolded things off are essential...ugh.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I really really hope the ~5 hours becomes the norm with this phone once all the kinks are worked out. I know the difference between 4 hours and 5 hours doesn't sound like a lot, but it's really a huge difference even if it's mostly just in ease of mind. I usually use between 3-4 hours of SOT in a day. Going to bed with 15-20% instead of 1-5% is a huge difference in just ease of mind.

I don't understand the "1-5% is a huge difference in just ease of mind" part.

if you're going to bed, I assume the phone is on a charger. why would it put your mind at ease if the phone is at 15% vs 5%?

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Thats ont thing I hate about Samsung phones. You always have to turn a bunch of things off to get good battery. I had to do the same with my Galaxy S5 and S4. With my current Z3, I don't have to do all that

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thats ont thing I hate about Samsung phones. You always have to turn a bunch of things off to get good battery. I had to do the same with my Galaxy S5 and S4. With my current Z3, I don't have to do all that

But the things they're saying to turn off (mainly) are carrier specific.. so it could be the carrier software is bugged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codex_umbra