Why is my battery life so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
So by the graph from 0030 - 0230 you are up playing all these games, youtube, and other crap you say after you took it off a full charge. The from 0230 - 0700 ish it is idle doing nothing. then from 0700 - 1000 roughly you are at it again with all your activities.

Meaning I couldn't give less a flipping bird about your experience with your S6. The only experience that matters is mine as I brought it. If I don't like it nothing you say will change that opinion. If you feel the need to be such a defender of your purchase please do it quietly in the corner of the fanboy pool. Most people with complaints are issues that relate to them. A lot of what you say they should do doesn't work for the particular person. This is the problem with a lot of posters like you don't get not everyone wants to cripple / compromise with there smartphone and you will hear it alot more often now.

About the times you quoted...
I work nights. That is my usage during my awake times. My usage is drastically far more intensive them anything you do on your phone. Above all, the latest software screen shots are with nothing turned off. Nothing crippled. In fact, with some things added that was not on by default.

No one wants you to cripple your phone. I won't for mine. Why should you. Sadly, you're too funny to even know that you are wrong about my battery life. Others have proven you wrong too with thier screen shots. Wrong is wrong. And got are wrong on this. You've proven nothing but that your mad. Grow up.

Your battery life was bad because your carrier messed up some part of the software, and the rest is Google's fault. If it is worse than most, then you got a lemon. But on AT&T and most other carriers the phone has great battery life.

Posted via the Android Central App

brushrop03

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Got down to 20% with 2hr 42min SOT

I'll admit my AT&T service isn't the best when in the office; I have one bar of LTE service.

I had location on (GPS) most of the time, but turned it off around 40%. Google Play Serviecs used up most of the battery. Wifi off all day. Enhanced LTE off all day. Auto brightness.

Mostly text messaging and a 30 min phone call today.

Pretty much sums up my experience with the device this past week.

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

I'll admit my AT&T service isn't the best when in the office; I have one bar of LTE service.

I had location on (GPS) most of the time, but turned it off around 40%. Google Play Serviecs used up most of the battery. Wifi off all day. Enhanced LTE off all day. Auto brightness.

I get poor GPS signal inside my building at work and it drains my battery quickly, so I keep it off until I need it. I am guessing the same is the case for you if your LTE service is weak. Weak cellular/data signal is a huge culprit for poor battery life - do you not have a stronger WiFi than LTE signal at work?

I find the Google apps to be the worst in terms of battery consumption, so I disable the ones I don't use and limit the syncing of the others to what I actually need.

anon367353

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I have been following batterylife issues on XDA for along time. I have (sort of) come to a conclusion from the limited sample set that the batterylife on non-US versions are good/stellar.

Keep in mind the following facts before judging

1. This this is the most powerful SOC available
2. QHD display which is super bright.
3. Relatively low battery capacity.

Now look at these numbers.

1429216191832ccu13.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1429swurn.jpg
screenshot_2015-04-14glu6l.jpg
29f938720a6e3f5a2fecc8vuxl.jpg
screenshot_2015-04-13hkush.jpg

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Google Play services drain is a very well known Lollipop Bug, not Samsung or other brand exclusive, basically all devices with Lollipop are suffering from this right now, OnePlus One finally released 5.0.2 (CM12) and in 2 days there are hundreds of complaints about it, so much that Cyanogen has expressed today that they are working on a fix and expect to have it ready by next week.

As of now what I've done in my devices shown this is to Force Stop Google Services framework and immediately Force Stop Google Play Services, this has stopped the drain and put the devices to deep sleep while not in use, the problem is that if you reboot your phone or any updates come related to Google apps it turns the drain back on, so you need to do the Force Stops again.

So try the above with the S6 and see if it also works, post results please.

katiheefner

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Google Play services drain is a very well known Lollipop Bug, not Samsung or other brand exclusive, basically all devices with Lollipop are suffering from this right now, OnePlus One finally released 5.0.2 (CM12) and in 2 days there are hundreds of complaints about it, so much that Cyanogen has expressed today that they are working on a fix and expect to have it ready by next week.

As of now what I've done in my devices shown this is to Force Stop Google Services framework and immediately Force Stop Google Play Services, this has stopped the drain and put the devices to deep sleep while not in use, the problem is that if you reboot your phone or any updates come related to Google apps it turns the drain back on, so you need to do the Force Stops again.

So try the above with the S6 and see if it also works, post results please.

What exactly will that prohibit?

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Your missing the whole point here, that's the Trade-Off, if you want the simplicity of out of the box settings and don't want to work around this, then don't look further, iPhone is your choice, but if you want the multiple options and custom enhancement for your own device, then Android in general, out of the box comes with every little thing and feature turned on.

No, I disagree! The general public are not phone gorks like many on here. They should be able to walk into a phone store and purchase an Android device and have it work properly out of the box...without question. Otherwise this product should be marketed to the tech crowd and let it go at that. You shouldn't have to set the phone up to make it work, it should be optimized for efficient running from the start, that concept I won't bend on.

However, the beauty of Android is that you can tweak this product if you're so inclined, but it shouldn't be a necessity. To think otherwise would alienate 80% of your target market. I know plenty of users that don't have a clue how to operate the phone outside of the basic functions and that's fine.

Google has dropped the ball here with Lollipop, they're slow to fix it and there has been no communication. I'm holding out on my Android purchase until they've provided a fix, I'll believe it when I see it.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
No, I disagree! The general public are not phone gorks like many on here. They should be able to walk into a phone store and purchase an Android device and have it work properly out of the box...without question. Otherwise this product should be marketed to the tech crowd and let it go at that. You shouldn't have to set the phone up to make it work, it should be optimized for efficient running from the start, that concept I won't bend on.

However, the beauty of Android is that you can tweak this product if you're so inclined, but it shouldn't be a necessity. To think otherwise would alienate 80% of your target market. I know plenty of users that don't have a clue how to operate the phone outside of the basic functions and that's fine.

Google has dropped the ball here with Lollipop, they're slow to fix it and there has been no communication. I'm holding out on my Android purchase until they've provided a fix, I'll believe it when I see it.

When I talk about the tweaks I do to my phone I don't do it because if it's a necessity I do it because I can live with whatever Battery Life it will give me, but I want to extend that by simply disabling and uninstalling Apps that I'll never use and are constantly syncing and draining your battery and using other resources in general plus using the Quick Toggles to turn on and off the features like Bluetooh, NFC and location is not Gorks stuff is simply common sense, just like you do with all your Electronics at home, you turn them on when you need them. There is a reason all of those are always in Quick Toggles with easy access to them.

Common users will just buy this phone will leave everything on by default and they may or may not complain about the battery life, but thinking on them is the reason that Samsung included Wireless and Fast Charging, and that for most of them will be enough, they won't even look at the Battery Stats to see how many hours they got of SoT, so the only ones that will complain are the same "Gorks" you mentioned before, so for me that's a moot point.

Yes, Google has dropped the ball with Lollipop and we are all waiting for them to step up to the plate and fix these drain issues, but nobody know for sure when that will be, so in a summary, right now, as it is with latest Flagships and Android Build we don't have too many options, that's why I said that if you don't want to deal with tweaks here or there to try to maximize your battery life, and indeed will complain about it, then you should get an iPhone, at least for now, until Google finally fix their issues.

microserfs

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
I could be wrong but I think my phone is settling a bit now and I feel like I'm starting to see slightly better stats (could be just me being hopeful though). Am gonna remain positive as I'm loving this phone at the moment. Am out tonight so will see how it holds up.

Screenshot_2015-04-17-08-58-07.jpg
Screenshot_2015-04-17-08-58-28.jpg
Screenshot_2015-04-17-08-59-20.jpg

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
This battery life BS is getting old. This phone is a solid performer with battery. Anyone who disagrees is either a fan of another device that they want to push as superior somehow or they're plagued with the bug that Google itself is responsible for that's also present on other devices, even Google's own Nexus 6.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

That must be it.
Multiple threads about battery issues are only being posted by those who don't like Samsung.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Man, I mean I see why battery life is important to a lot of people and by reading these discussions I see a lot of stressed out tech people. I'm so glad I can just enjoy my S6 without getting overly consumed. I guess maybe because I've been using weak battery phones for many years and I haven't had a flagship in over 2 years I can look past these things.

Posted via S6

Bodzm

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Adranalyne you are in denial. People who buy this phone absolutely want to love it. The battery problems are real, but you're one of those staunch defenders in every thread that (a) blames the user for not micromanaging the device (b) blames the user for imagining the issue (c) blames the user for hating Samsung. Does that sum it up? Perhaps we should blame the user for using the phone too! It's the owners fault!!

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Adranalyne you are in denial. People who buy this phone absolutely want to love it. The battery problems are real, but you're one of those staunch defenders in every thread that (a) blames the user for not micromanaging the device (b) blames the user for imagining the issue (c) blames the user for hating Samsung. Does that sum it up? Perhaps we should blame the user for using the phone too! It's the owners fault!!

I've literally blamed zero people for any of those things. The problem is very real, I've said that a million times, and it needs to be addressed. Pretending that this same thing isn't happening to other phones or that this is indicative of the way battery life is as a whole on the S6 is what I have a problem with.

It is happening on other phones because it's a Lollipop issue. The battery life people are getting as a result of this issue is not indicative of what battery life can be and is on the S6 without that issue. If people want to cry about their battery life and try to dispute those two facts? Yes, I'll happily correct them.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
You missed the "or" part in there. Solid effort. Reading can be tough sometimes.

This battery life BS is getting old. This phone is a solid performer with battery. Anyone who disagrees is either a fan of another device that they want to push as superior somehow or they're plagued with the bug that Google itself is responsible for that's also present on other devices, even Google's own Nexus 6.

Okay, I read it again.
1. You're getting tired of people in these forums.
2. Those who won't blame Google must hate Samsung.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I read it again.
1. You're getting tired of people in these forums.
2. Those who won't blame Google must hate Samsung.

1. Some of you are absolutely obnoxious about this. That's not debatable.
2. Those who don't understand this is a Lollipop issue aren't paying attention. Those who know it's a Lollipop issue yet still whine and cry like this is an S6-only thing are obnoxious.
3. Some people should really learn to read. If you haven't noticed, I have an S6 Edge and I'm sharing with people how solid the battery life is if you're not affected by this issue. Instead of saying "My battery is going to be pretty good once Google fixes this" and going from there, you want to argue with me instead. I own the same type of phone you do, I'm showing people how good it can be, and you'd rather go back and forth because you're upset your new phone has bugs.

Wildside

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I get that battery life is important. It was so important for me that I had spare batteries for my GS3 and have a power pack for the family to use when we're out for a long day (and no, I don't like carrying it).

But the battery issues on this phone seem to be carrier specific.

The only thing I've done since taking my phone out of the box is switch from Global to LTE/CDMA and turn screen brightness down.

My first full day with the GS6 is shown below; that included 4+ hours of phone calls, about a hundred texts, about a hundred emails. I don't stream video and only stream music when on wifi.

Screenshot_2015-04-17-23-42-52.jpg

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
1. Some of you are absolutely obnoxious about this. That's not debatable.
2. Those who don't understand this is a Lollipop issue aren't paying attention. Those who know it's a Lollipop issue yet still whine and cry like this is an S6-only thing are obnoxious.
3. Some people should really learn to read. If you haven't noticed, I have an S6 Edge and I'm sharing with people how solid the battery life is if you're not affected by this issue. Instead of saying "My battery is going to be pretty good once Google fixes this" and going from there, you want to argue with me instead. I own the same type of phone you do, I'm showing people how good it can be, and you'd rather go back and forth because you're upset your new phone has bugs.

Instant gratification and the supposed freedom that comes with a lack of personal responsibility and the entitlement to be free of consequences as well as intolerance to opposing viewpoints despite he facts has led to wanting a device slick and quick not caring how it gets there. They want to take it out of the box and turn it on not realizing there may be carrier issues or setting that need to modified slightly to tune the device. It is easier to whine or resort to character assassination responding with rants making it clear that they don't have facts or they try to shut you down.

Status
Not open for further replies.