My OK Google option 'from any screen' suddenly disappeared, where could it have gone?

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: "OK Google" option 'from any screen' suddenly disappeared

The Google help page indicates that only certain devices have the "OK Google from any app" option available. I know the S6 had it when I first got it, but now it doesn't have it.

mkcoastie

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Add me to the list. I've been using the always on with no problem, and now all of a sudden, it's gone. Checked my wife's note 4 on lollypop, the option is still there.....frustrating.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

So you wanna take back what you said about my post? :) just teasin ya. All is good!

Posted via the Android Central App

I've even uninstalled the Google app updates and other things and all can't get all pages to work or show up in settings. But even with the Samsung push app reinstalled it does work on the main page again. (watch it turn off tomorrow... Lol)

Who knows, maybe it will get fixed.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

I've even uninstalled the Google app updates and other things and all can't get all pages to work or show up in settings. But even with the Samsung push app reinstalled it does work on the main page again. (watch it turn off tomorrow... Lol)

Who knows, maybe it will get fixed.

I bet what it is is that the new Play Services update (version 7) from Google borked it somehow. It's happened before and they will fix it.

Erm10

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

Was definitely working for me on all screens before the update and now it only works on screens where I have the Google widget added.

AT&T s6

LR7

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site

Um, not quite.

I'm not buying that explanation either. The Google Now Launcher still has "OK Google" functionality on all launch screens.

Google Now Launcher only works on the Home screens and not in ANY app. The settings are limited in the Google Now Launcher settings as well.....

This needs to be fixed...fast!

GeneJockey

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

Google Now Launcher only works on the Home screens and not in ANY app. The settings are limited in the Google Now Launcher settings as well.....

Yes, when I said 'launch' screens I meant home screens. But indeed if I use the Google Now launcher, I can get "OK Google" by default on all home screens. I cannot do this with any other launcher.

Besides, I would never have assumed it would work from WITHIN app screens, but then again I only had a day to play around with it before it disappeared so I am not actually certain about what this looks like when FULLY functional :-(

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
People, as I've said earlier. Just uninstall the update to the Samsung push update and Ok Google will work again. But only on the main page. The option for all pages was removed from the Google app update for our phone if I'm not mistaken.

Oh, and then disable Samsung push or it will re update again.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
People, as I've said earlier. Just uninstall the update to the Samsung push update and Ok Google will work again. But only on the main page. The option for all pages was removed from the Google app update for our phone if I'm not mistaken.

This doesn't gain anything for me. Still doesn't work anywhere except in Google Now or the search app.

GeneJockey

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

Over on google product forums there is a long and building thread about this. Bottom line is that so far it was reported that Google has disabled this intentionally because some users complained that it activated by accident

IF TRUE, it is really frustrating that a whole feature can be removed because some folks don't know enough to disable it if they don't like it.

Tried to get help from Samsung support on Twitter but they say it is a Lollipop feature. Can't be true since it ran just fine on Lollipop until a few days ago. They are copping out clearly....

GeneJockey

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

The question we are all asking is WHY has this valuable option been disabled. There are reports (can't confirm if true or not since no one from Google is talking openly yet) that Google intentionally disabled it because of some complaints that it activated by accident.

Like a lot of people go around saying "OK Google" when they really meant "Pass the butter".

And even if true, I am incensed that in Android of all places - where openness and flexibility are the watch words - those of us who use the feature can be dumped in favor of a few who don't know they can just disable it if they don't want it?

GeneJockey

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
PROGRESS (at least a bit...)

While browsing through another forum I think I may have discovered something relevant. I had suspected, based on others posts here and other places, that it was not the Samsung push services that broke this, but rather the Google Play Services.

The version of Google Play Services that my S6 was running was 7.0.99 but just today there was an update to version 7.3.29

I think that this is being rolled out slowly but if you go to https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=com.google.android.gms&hl=en&token=rMWsNYq6 you can download and install.

What did this do? It did NOT restore the "from any screen" option so no, this is not a full fix. But what it DID do was to make the "OK Google" come up automatically on the home screen in TouchWiz, with Samsung Push still fully active and updated.

More importantly (perhaps?) is that also allowed the "OK Google" to come up in EVERY SCREEN of the Nova Launcher - even the APP DRAWER now responds to OK Google in Nova Launcher. It did none of those things before I updated Play Services.

So I wonder if Google is on the right track?

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Again, I'm not here to argue. Let's just agree that we disagree and move on. But again if you want, just ask and I'll give a run down of what you might need to do as it Intales a wipe off your cashe partition in addition to reinstalling the updates.

Thanks for the thought, but I've already tried wiping cache partition, removing and incrementally installing updates in different orders (Google App, push service, Google Play Services, etc.). If you have anything beyond that, more than willing to try it barring a full reset again. I'm resigned to waiting for a fix from Google or at least an explanation at this point.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
It was mentioned earlier that the Google Play Services update may be the cause. However, I have not received the update and am still running 7.0.99 and I have also lost the use of voice activation except on the page where the widget is placed AND I have lost the setting where I had set it to activate from all screens.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
It was mentioned earlier that the Google Play Services update may be the cause. However, I have not received the update and am still running 7.0.99 and I have also lost the use of voice activation except on the page where the widget is placed AND I have lost the setting where I had set it to activate from all screens.

It was not the past services update but the Google app update and maybe the push app update in combination. But definitely not the play services app.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the thought, but I've already tried wiping cache partition, removing and incrementally installing updates in different orders (Google App, push service, Google Play Services, etc.). If you have anything beyond that, more than willing to try it barring a full reset again. I'm resigned to waiting for a fix from Google or at least an explanation at this point.

Sorry, it seems that you've done all you can do. Maybe the reason it doesn't work for you is that it's a Verizon phone. No idea.

Did you try Nova? With Nova installed it might work for you. You won't need to change the look of your phone if you don't want to, just don't make any changes if you don't feel like it and see if you get any functionality at all.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Do you people honestly think a Google feature is being hampered by a Samsung app??? Uninstalling a "push" service app is NOT a workaround. "OK Google" works on your home screen because you have the google widget, & that is the only reason it works. Take the widget off, & it won't work unless you open the Google app.

I'm just as aggravated as the next person. I loved this feature, & I hope Google brings it back. I had to place the Google widget back on my home screen because of it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87