S6 in reality - How is it in day to day life?

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Have you not been reading the plethora of bug/problem threads that are dominating this forum from those who have been using the device for awhile? Therein lies your answer. Poor battery life, high cell stand by time, screen rotation and finger print scanner issues, to name a few.
Samsung sold its soul and deleted all the things that differentiated it from iphone and made it stand out. Now the Galaxy is just a neutered, soulless pretty metal brick.
Just like an iPhone.

Well I'll just Respectfully disagree. I have none of the aforementioned issues you stated with my s6. It's just forums are here to discuss and workout problems or customize or learn more about devices. I've never seen a forum that did nothing but praise a product. Most of the time ppl won't even visit a blog or forum unless their is a problem. So you have a small % of complaints that lead you into believing it's a large problem when in fact it's like 1% of the total phone distribution. I don't have figures to back that up but statistically speaking that's the norm.

Posted on my Galaxy S6 Edge🔪(S is for Super) via the Android Central App

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Have you not been reading the plethora of bug/problem threads that are dominating this forum from those who have been using the device for awhile? Therein lies your answer. Poor battery life, high cell stand by time, screen rotation and finger print scanner issues, to name a few.
Samsung sold its soul and deleted all the things that differentiated it from iphone and made it stand out. Now the Galaxy is just a neutered, soulless pretty metal brick.
Just like an iPhone.

Isn't this forum where you would come to complain about the issues and figure them out. Of course there's a whole bunch of issues just like everything. I was more or less looking for good things for a change. Its okay if you'd rather not take part. Thanks

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Once you set it up right like launcher, theme, gestures, keyboard and apps it's unbelievable, the only real con is the battery - it's crap , but at least it charges really super fast.

Posted via the Android Central App

Well I disagree with you on the battery. It is absolutely NOT crap IMO. I easily get thru a full work days use with on average 2.5-3 hours screen on time (not using battery saving mode) and using all battery saving features I can probably get around 5 hours (I haven't really tried as I'll never use it that way in reality).

dyana9673

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I have never had a phone with great battery. I get better battery with my edge than with my G3 (my G3 would get hot ). I work a few ten hour days I get through the majority of my day . I always have a portable battery charger with me just in case . I wouldn't say my battery is horrible at all. The phones fabulous. It's my favorite one so far.

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: S6 in reality

Camera is great. But overall app quality is very subpar compared to iOS which is what I'm used to. Battery life has been extremely disappointing. This is after turning off smart network, WiFi scanning and disabling some apps.

One gripe about the camera though is its low light performance in auto mode is absolutely awful. Expect to use pro mode at all times at night unless you want terribly noisy low light shots. Samsung for whatever reason made its auto low light performance to be insanely aggressive which makes photos unusable.

Also disappointed in chrome browser performance. The stock browser is definitely quicker but I prefer chrome. Found this kind of odd as I would have assumed chrome would be optimized for android more than it is for iOS. Also not sure why this phone has 3 GB of ram yet chrome still needs to refresh tabs when jumping back into the browser?!?

Screen is great. I came from an iPhone 5 and the bigger size is also wonderful.

I must in the minority. I am in the s6 forum right? Lol. The device i have (s6) is about as flawless as i can ask for. I must have gotten one of the few good ones because this device is better than any other phone I've laid my hands...ever. Guess I'm just lucky...

Oh and that does include the battery.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

I must in the minority. I am in the s6 forum right? Lol. The device i have (s6) is about as flawless as i can ask for. I must have gotten one of the few good ones because this device is better than any other phone I've laid my hands...ever. Guess I'm just lucky...

Right there with you.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

You're wrong. You are not in the minority. You are definitely in the majority.

The simple fact is that for a device launch this huge there seems to be a remarkable low amount of complaints. My battery life is just as good as any phone I've used besides the note 4 and I'm baffled as to how the readership could think otherwise. The screen shots are everywhere.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

You're wrong. You are not in the minority. You are definitely in the majority.

The simple fact is that for a device launch this huge there seems to be a remarkable low amount of complaints. My battery life is just as good as any phone I've used besides the note 4 and I'm baffled as to how the readership could think otherwise. The screen shots are everywhere.

It seems like we are since there are so many threads and cross posting. It would appear that we might need to temper our expectations a bit. Some of us are upgrading from earlier Galaxy S devices while others are from other Android devices as well as the forbidden fruit company. We come from all these places with baggage from past experiences hoping things will be better. We all have different usage habits and carrier related issues. In time, these issues will be sorted. We also have to take responsibility for our own purchase decisions and vote with our wallets. I believe that with a little patience and learning from one another it will all work out in the end.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for getting on it. On another topic, is there a reason the avatar feature is turned off?

I'm sure that battery life is just fine on the device. If I can make it a day with a little use in the evening I'll be happy camper. I have the Note 4 now and it still seems to be the same as all other handsets, as far as battery life goes. I do not use the power saving modes due to performance. I work for a telecom company in Canada and my phone is multitasking all day long, the Note 4 would generally be at 40%-30% by the time I've gotten home, the S5 would be about 30% and the HTC M8 would be about the same. Really there isn't much difference, in NY experience its 10-15% give or take. I'm personally looking forward to the finger print scanner, exynos processor and the smaller screen. I'm in love with the Note 4 but the size is uncomfortable and has caused me to drop the handset, plus it drives me nuts when I attempt to fit into my jean pocket!! Hopefully the S6 will stand up to the Note 4, not in the battery spectrum but in performance!

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure that battery life is just fine on the device. If I can make it a day with a little use in the evening I'll be happy camper. I have the Note 4 now and it still seems to be the same as all other handsets, as far as battery life goes. I do not use the power saving modes due to performance. I work for a telecom company in Canada and my phone is multitasking all day long, the Note 4 would generally be at 40%-30% by the time I've gotten home, the S5 would be about 30% and the HTC M8 would be about the same. Really there isn't much difference, in NY experience its 10-15% give or take. I'm personally looking forward to the finger print scanner, exynos processor and the smaller screen. I'm in love with the Note 4 but the size is uncomfortable and has caused me to drop the handset, plus it drives me nuts when I attempt to fit into my jean pocket!! Hopefully the S6 will stand up to the Note 4, not in the battery spectrum but in performance!

I think you'll be very surprised at how good the battery is. It's better than my Note 3s imo, for what that's worth.

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site

Not sure what luck has to do with anything. Outside of the battery which is clearly a contentious issue and also based on personal usage so your mileage may vary, the rest of what i said is universal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

If you can go get a S6 and try it for 2 weeks and if in 2 weeks you don't like it you can take it back.
What else can you ask for .
The S6 and S6 Edge are great phones.

But this is just my View.
Get your own phone and try it out.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I love mine -- snappy -- works great. I also am in love with wireless charging :).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Oh I second that.
Wireless Charging Rocks !

Yeah I never thought I would like it but now that I have it .. I love it. I always put my phone in the same spot at home so I just put the pad there .. always have a charge without worry now :D.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Not sure what luck has to do with anything. Outside of the battery which is clearly a contentious issue and also based on personal usage so your mileage may vary, the rest of what i said is universal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, no it's not.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

What else I've noticed when sittin in the chair. If the Phone is charging on the wireless pad. The light under it is Blue.
When the phone is charged the light changes to Green.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

He is correct in his post... it is his opinion .. and he admits his battery issues may be only his. He even went on to say others mileage may vary.

I'm referring to his ending saying that low light camera performance on auto and chrome performance issues are "universal". No, they're not.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge