S6 in reality - How is it in day to day life?

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Re: S6 in reality

I'm referring to his ending saying that low light camera performance on auto and chrome performance issues are "universal". No, they're not.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge
Yes they are. Anyone who had actually used the camera extensively like I have, and also read reviews and benchmarks on chrome vs stock browser (go look at Anandtechs review) knows this as well.

But I understand that anything even remotely criticising the s6 makes you bizzarely furious, which is oddly hilarious and sad at the same time.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Yes they are. Anyone who had actually used the camera extensively like I have, and also read reviews and benchmarks on chrome vs stock browser (go look at Anandtechs review) knows this as well.

But I understand that anything even remotely criticising the s6 makes you bizzarely furious, which is oddly hilarious and sad at the same time.

Chrome performance isn't bad on this device. No, it isn't as good as the stock browser, but that's generally the case on skinned Android devices.

I have used the camera extensively on this phone, as I have with every other phone I've owned (which is pretty much every notable device over the last 4 years on any platform). Low light performance isn't terrible on auto mode at all. Can you improve it in pro mode if you know what you're doing? Sure. Saying it's "awful" on auto mode is hilarious, though.

This has nothing to do with the S6 in general. I'd correct you even if you were wrong about a Lumia. Since I can't really do too much given the rules of this forum, I can definitely disagree and make sure other people see the other side of the spectrum from someone not smitten with Apple so much.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

What issues with Chrome? I don't look at benchmarks because I don't care if one scores higher .. I go by real world usage and I don't see any issue when using Chrome on my S6.

As for the camera .. What is wrong with it as well?

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

What issues with Chrome? I don't look at benchmarks because I don't care if one scores higher .. I go by real world usage and I don't see any issue when using Chrome on my S6.

As for the camera .. What is wrong with it as well?

"To the rest of you whiners just bashing iPhone for no particular reason and feel like your ego got hurt cause something happens to be better on the iPhone, settle down. Have a drink. Relax!" -stevelam

That's what he believes to be wrong with these things on the S6; it isn't an iPhone.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site

Chrome performance isn't bad on this device. No, it isn't as good as the stock browser, but that's generally the case on skinned Android devices.

I have used the camera extensively on this phone, as I have with every other phone I've owned (which is pretty much every notable device over the last 4 years on any platform). Low light performance isn't terrible on auto mode at all. Can you improve it in pro mode if you know what you're doing? Sure. Saying it's "awful" on auto mode is hilarious, though.

This has nothing to do with the S6 in general. I'd correct you even if you were wrong about a Lumia. Since I can't really do too much given the rules of this forum, I can definitely disagree and make sure other people see the other side of the spectrum from someone not smitten with Apple so much.

Actually Chrome performance is worst on my S6 than my Note 3 or Nexus 7 for some reason. Chrome feels really bad now, but not bad enough for me to use Samsungs ugly browser lol.

Posted via the Android Central App

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
What exactly are you guys referring to when saying you don't like chrome's performance on s6.

I happen to not have any issues so far with chrome? Wut up?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I asked earlier for a break from trolling. Most people followed that, some didn't. We're going to shut this down for a few and see if people can collect themselves and decide if they want to be productive posters or not. If you want to check out the rules (link in my signature), I strongly recommend the very first section detailing PUPPAH.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
What exactly are you guys referring to when saying you don't like chrome's performance on s6.

I happen to not have any issues so far with chrome? Wut up?

Slow to open initially, then slow to open any sites, then slow stuttering scrolling. Images take especially long to load. Just overall feel of Chrome on this pound doesn't feel as good as it does on my note 3. I know I'm being vague and I don't mean to be, it's just that it doesn't feel optimized or something.

Leon Venson

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Im loving mines slight lag but nothing major or lasting. I dont mind the non removeable back because 32 gigs is more than enough for me i stream my music with unlimited data from sprint. Sending all my videos and pictures to my cloud accounts. Got 100gb of cloud through microsoft thats a plus. And technically makes this a 128 gb lol. Call quality is decent people have trouble hearing me as i do them when speaking withy phone on face. My battery has yet to die from a day of use. Including streaming music and on it back and forth while on a 9 hour shift. I constantly keep my power saving mode on and cut off my background data when i know i wont be on my phone all shift. The themes are great and the 1440p is great although you can only notice it in video when on youtube. Search 1440p 60fps video. Change the quality settings on youtube because it wont automatically play in 1440p. Camera is ok but noise level is insane. All in all i love it. I could see myself using it for 2 years.

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site

I never said chrome was bad. I said it simply isn't as good as the stock browser which is unfortunate. I just assumed chrome would be optimized since it's a Google product running on a Google OS.

Just like how safari on iOS easily outperforms chrome for iOS, except on jailbreak where there's a tweak that let's chrome use a better JS engine to make it closer on par with mobile safari. Is there such a thing like that for android? Doesn't seem like it.

And just to illustrate my point, anandtech says this :

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9146/the-samsung-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-review/5

"As always, we'll start things off with our browser benchmarks. After getting to use the phone, it became clear to me that Chrome is poorly optimized against the Galaxy S6 as Samsung’s browser is clearly superior in performance."

As for low light performance in auto mode in dark settings, that's more subjective, but it sounds like you're just fine with a lot of noise. My standards are probably a little different.

Am I expecting it to take perfect night shots? No. But it's overly aggressive in trying to do so in auto mode.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Wow, this thread has some good stuff in it. Regarding the Note 3 vs S6, I'm a strong believer in the longer an Android phone is out the better it gets. Especially when there's a new OS like Android 5.0. The note 4 is still sketchy and I find its getting better with every update and every app update. I'm sure ask the kinks will be figured out on the S6 within time.

Bodzm

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site

I never said chrome was bad. I said it simply isn't as good as the stock browser which is unfortunate. I just assumed chrome would be optimized since it's a Google product running on a Google OS.

Just like how safari on iOS easily outperforms chrome for iOS, except on jailbreak where there's a tweak that let's chrome use a better JS engine to make it closer on par with mobile safari. Is there such a thing like that for android? Doesn't seem like it.

"As always, we'll start things off with our browser benchmarks. After getting to use the phone, it became clear to me that Chrome is poorly optimized against the Galaxy S6 as Samsung’s browser is clearly superior in performance."

As for low light performance in auto mode in dark settings, that's more subjective, but it sounds like you're just fine with a lot of noise. My standards are probably a little different.

Am I expecting it to take perfect night shots? No. But it's overly aggressive in trying to do so in auto mode.
Your opinion is wrong you're not allowed to criticise anything about the S6. Just no. It's the precious

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I'm aware of what Josh wrote about Chrome and the stock browser and that generally rings true on every device on Android except for the Nexus (although AOSP is probably better than Chrome performance wise). It's not so much a surprise as it as confusing practice among OEMs, but so is the fact they even include their own browser at this point. So while we're not really in disagreement on this, I'm just making sure it's not being misconstrued as Chrome being a bad experience on the S6. If you're not already, run Chrome Beta.

You stated that auto mode in dark settings is "awful". I disagree. Is there more noise than if you turn it over to manual settings (and know what you're doing)? Of course. Again, not a surprise, but categorizing it as "awful" is quite a bit off, even if you're comparing it to the almighty iPhone 6.

To address this whole "You don't have anything negative to say about the S6" thing, I do find it amusing. I've got plenty. Do I think they could have launched with 5.1 knowing the issues their own S5 was having with 5.0-5.0.1? Yes. Very well could have been time constraints, but I'm not so sure about that. Even on Google Keyboard, there's an occasional "pause" in the middle of a word that gets annoying. Not sure what's causing it, but it's noticeable. The placement of the speaker, while improved from the S5, is as annoying as the iPhone when you need to hold the phone differently to avoid muffling it during videos/music. The icons, while flatter, don't fit this Ui any longer and should have been changed. Same with the notification shade. Themes are welcome, but add on a level of jank that makes no sense. It isn't persistent, but it's noticeable versus not using a theme.

I call people out and tell them I disagree on things that I don't find correct. Mostly it's about people bashing the battery life and not seeing how phones that aren't affected by the issues being reported last far longer. That's it.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Your opinion is wrong you're not allowed to criticise anything about the S6. Just no. It's the precious

I think most people aren't trying to defend the s6 and say you can't say anything bad about it. I think people are just having different experiences across different carriers and different variants of the phone. I for one have a 99% positive experience with my s6 edge. Yes I'll get an occasional stutter or hiccup while scrolling through the UI or using SwiftKey keyboard, but its few and far between, like probably a couple times a day that even notice it. These things you'll get on every phone including the iPhone. Does my battery life sporadically suck? yes there's been a few days when I went fishing and had no reception and my battery only lasts about 6 to 7 hours but then there's days where it will last 16 hours with almost 5 hours of on screen time. the bottom line is, there is a lot of variables in situations that could cause the phone to not perform perfectly, but more times than not, the phone is almost as close to perfect as a mobile phone can get in my opinion.

Posted on my Galaxy S6 edge🔪(S is for Super) via the Android Central App

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I think most people aren't trying to defend the s6 and say you can't say anything bad about it. I think people are just having different experiences across different carriers and different variants of the phone. I for one have a 99% positive experience with my s6 edge. Yes I'll get an occasional stutter or hiccup while scrolling through the UI or using SwiftKey keyboard, but its few and far between, like probably a couple times a day that even notice it. These things you'll get on every phone including the iPhone. Does my battery life sporadically suck? yes there's been a few days when I went fishing and had no reception and my battery only lasts about 6 to 7 hours but then there's days where it will last 16 hours with almost 5 hours of on screen time. the bottom line is, there is a lot of variables in situations that could cause the phone to not perform perfectly, but more times than not, the phone is almost as close to perfect as a mobile phone can get in my opinion.

Posted on my Galaxy S6 edge??????(S is for Super) via the Android Central App

I agree. It's too simplistic to assert that opinions are right or wrong. They are just different based upon past experiences. The line gets blurred when you digress into the my dog is better than your dog in which we are beating each other with hyperbole not backed up by facts or not listening to each other. Listening is different from hearing in that you have process the thought you are getting before issuing a response. The old shoot first, ask questions later thing. I have no issues with opposing viewpoints backed up by facts and not hearsay and hyperbole.

1dtb

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
OOh one hour and still at 99% cell standby, that seems like it is on par with others who have reset their phone.