10 Reasons GS6 Is Better Than the G4

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
You can also hit them by mistake. You shouldn't have to resort to yoga to power on the phone or change the volume.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Hit them by mistake? As a former G2 and G3 owner, I never found myself hitting any of the back buttons by mistake. The back buttons are easy to get used to and are fairly convenient.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Hit them by mistake? As a former G2 and G3 owner, I never found myself hitting any of the back buttons by mistake. The back buttons are easy to get used to and are fairly convenient.

Just my opinion. I can get used to a lot of things but the power button and volume rocker position shouldn't be one of them.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I had a G2 for close to a year and I grew to love the power and volume buttons, plus KnockOn was nothing short of awesome. Every phone should have something like that, though the home button on the S6 does mostly the same. To bad the phones internal SD card has some sort of error and cause the battery to drain in about 6 or 7 hours not matter what.

Unfortunately the slower RAM, slower memory, lack of wireless and fast charge, LG's horrid UI (it's like the TouchWiz of old and Material Design had a drunken night together and LG ended up with the result), and the phablet screen make it a no go for me. I don't care about the 808, processors are getting to the point that they aren't making huge jumps forward and Android can run pretty well on lower end processors, but I'm just not an LG phone fan.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
6 things that could have made the LG G4 better

LG had all year to do more than the GS6. Just take a look at the camera. Added a great looking display. Then, skimped on chipset, RAM, excluded built in wireless charging, mobile payments, fingerprint scanner, IR blaster and went with a heavy looking UI. On top,of that, some will be dealing with Lollipop issues. Definitely would trade vegetable tanned leather for more of the same premium features of the GS6. That's not to say that the GS6 could not have been better but LG dropped the ball worse, based upon what we know so far, than Samsung or HTC.

Last edited:

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
6 things that could have made the LG G4 better

LG had all year to do more than the GS6. Just take a look at the camera. Added a great looking display. Then, skimped on chipset, RAM, excluded built in wireless charging, mobile payments, fingerprint scanner, IR blaster and went with a heavy looking UI. On top,of that, some will be dealing with Lollipop issues. Definitely would trade vegetable tanned leather for more of the same premium features of the GS6. That's not to say that the GS6 could not have been better but LG dropped the ball worse, based upon what we know so far, than Samsung or HTC.

G4 does have IR blaster.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
11. Because I'm tired of spending hundreds of dollars on new phones/year.

I could have put down a nice down payment on a new car with all the money I've spent on phones over the years. I'm sticking with the GS6 until it falls apart. I'm tired of spending mucho dinero updating phones.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I stand corrected. Missed that. Will have to pay closer attention. Thanks.

You are welcome. Myself, I am particularly interested in seeing the results from the G4 camera in low light. They seem to put a lot of effort into camera tech/features which I appreciate - 3 axis OIS, color spectrum sensor, full manual control and RAW capture (a good use for the external memory). If all that pans out, it could make me choose the G4 over the S6. Have to wait and see.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
You are welcome. Myself, I am particularly interested in seeing the results from the G4 camera in low light. They seem to put a lot of effort into camera tech/features which I appreciate - 3 axis OIS, color spectrum sensor, full manual control and RAW capture (a good use for the external memory). If all that pans out, it could make me choose the G4 over the S6. Have to wait and see.

Here is a video of it being compared to the Galaxy S6

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Two things about that video cracked me up. First off, labeling the f/1.9 aperture as "conventional". Second, the S6 clearly had better and more natural colors than the G4. The G4 was unnaturally red and orange.

In the AMA thread for the G4, there are two low light samples of a motorcycle, and again the S6 was better with more detail. It had the slight yellow push, but it wasn't murky like the G4 sample.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Two things about that video cracked me up. First off, labeling the f/1.9 aperture as "conventional". Second, the S6 clearly had better and more natural colors than the G4. The G4 was unnaturally red and orange.

In the AMA thread for the G4, there are two low light samples of a motorcycle, and again the S6 was better with more detail. It had the slight yellow push, but it wasn't murky like the G4 sample.

Actually, I think they were refering to conventional vs. the "color spectrum sensor" in the G4, also, regarding color "unnaturally red", if you believe what the demo guy is saying, the actual light in the box matches the LG color. He pointed out that the G6 and the iPhone "corrected" the light cast, whereas the LG gave the actual representation of the color in the box.

The LG definately looked like it had less noise and more detail. Colors we will have to wait and see if it is true or not. Additionally, the 3 axis OIS should provide additional benefit that is not seen here, as these are esentially tripod shots.

Regarding the motorcyce shot, it looked like the LG colors were better, but the noise reduction was to heavy, resulting in a smearing of detail, vs. the S6 which had more visible noise, but less smearing and more detail. The good thing though is that the G4 can output raw files which should allow you to tweak the noise/detail trade off better than a straight jpeg from either phone.

But again, time will tell if the LG truly delivers what they are advertising.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Also, in the AMA comparison of the doctor who phone booth, the s6 looks much better than the g4 in terms of exposure/dynamic range. The LG blew out the whites and the side of the phone booth is darker. So, while I really want good low light performance, that isn't the only consideration.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I don't need much justification .. I like the S6 .. Simple as that. The button placement on the LG phones has always thrown me off. Does it mean it is a bad phone? No .. Just means it isn't for me.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I don't need much justification .. I like the S6 .. Simple as that. The button placement on the LG phones has always thrown me off. Does it mean it is a bad phone? No .. Just means it isn't for me.

Yeah, S6 is a great phone, that is a known. LG g4 shows promise, but we haven't gotten any real world use/reviews yet so it could be great or could be hype. I wish it was smaller like the S6 and wish it had wireless and quick charging out of the box too. LG has at least earned my patience to find out more vs. buying the S6 right away. I will have to see them side by side and see more results from the g4 camera and more reviews of the g4 before I make a move.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, S6 is a great phone, that is a known. LG g4 shows promise, but we haven't gotten any real world use/reviews yet so it could be great or could be hype. I wish it was smaller like the S6 and wish it had wireless and quick charging out of the box too. LG has at least earned my patience to find out more vs. buying the S6 right away. I will have to see them side by side and see more results from the g4 camera and more reviews of the g4 before I make a move.

Regardless that i have an S6, I'm sure that you'll be happy no matter what phone you buy. LG has earned my respect the last two years and this year they look great again. As a retired photographer I think that they did a great job on the manual mode and Samsung should have gone further to improve their manual to be more like LG.

But with that said, I'm ultra happy with my S6 and know that for me the G4 is just a drop too big for one handed use.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa