10 Reasons GS6 Is Better Than the G4

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
That's odd. My S5 (Verizon) worked fine after Lollipop. I did do a factory reset just in case, but I had no issues after the update.

The S5 was a good phone. A bit big, esp with the wireless charging back.

I had no reason to upgrade, but I got the S6 anyway, because I love the latest phone tech. Also, the fingerprint sensor is much better on the S6.
One benefit of your upgrade was a thinner phone with built in wireless charging.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I assume you are taking about your wife's GS4. My wife had some battery life issues but I made some settings changes and they went away. No freezes on her phone. I have been very fortunate to have not been affected by some of the issues documented in this forum.

No, my S5. She has an S6. The old saying.....happy wife.....happy life! :D

Last edited:

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Say I'm in Chrome and I hide the navigation buttons. Sorry to sound stupid, but how do I browse around quickly without the back button? How do I flick to my other app then switch back? I'll need to recall the navigation bar which defeats the purpose doesn't it?

The on screen buttons are fine when they disappear but they surely do eat up a lot of space? I like capacitive buttons actually

Posted via the Android Central App
I use pie quick controls.

5987c8bd5e3c8059a691a5c0645becc9.jpg

Last edited:

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I found it quite interesting and somewhat amusing that the OP steered clear of responding to your post, especially since he makes a point to respond to every post, giving special attention to posts that dare extol the virtues of the G4.
OP mentioned in a few posts that one shouldn't have to adjust to a new button layout, yet, as you pointed out, his sacred, holy S6 has a new button layout.
I was looking forward to being entertained by his response.
The endless ravings and product worshipping by fanbois can make for great popcorn fodder as long as they don't get too heated or nasty.

I have much respect for jcp007, and trust me we have butted heads in the past. But I think that there is nothing wrong with loving a phone or a brand. He is a nice guy with just some strong feelings for Samsung. Nothing wrong with that in my book and I'm an HTC fan.

I do hope he wasn't insulted by my remarks. I do wish him the best.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Can we just all sit down and say that both are awesome phones and have their own pros and cons?

I'm swaying towards the G4 because it has a microSD card slot and removable battery, but I know there are many who love the build of the S6.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Never said it was not a great device. I plan on taking a look at when released to see how it,performs in the real world. When someone offers an opinion, you can disagree and refute but don't resort to sarcasm.

i don't know where in my quote i used sarcasm. it just seems you've formed a conclusion from only knowing two things, one says 810, the other says 808. i respect your opinion, but that doesn't mean i'm not allowed to disagree and state mine. if you plan on seeing how it performs in the real world, why not reserve judgement until then?

that said, you do make some valid points that i agree with. personally i applaud LG for recognizing that the 810 is inefficient and opting for a processor that's going to (hopefully) operate better. too often i've seen phones, or electronics in general, that look great on paper, yet the UX is awful and it's just a bad experience. on the flip side, i've had devices where the sum is greater than the parts.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
i don't know where in my quote i used sarcasm. it just seems you've formed a conclusion from only knowing two things, one says 810, the other says 808. i respect your opinion, but that doesn't mean i'm not allowed to disagree and state mine. if you plan on seeing how it performs in the real world, why not reserve judgement until then?

that said, you do make some valid points that i agree with. personally i applaud LG for recognizing that the 810 is inefficient and opting for a processor that's going to (hopefully) operate better. too often i've seen phones, or electronics in general, that look great on paper, yet the UX is awful and it's just a bad experience. on the flip side, i've had devices where the sum is greater than the parts.

Sold on Samsung: why I won’t be getting a G4, at least not anymore (Opinion) http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-not-getting-g4-601778/

I am an exuberant, enthusiastic smartphone forum member but I have never claimed to be a SME. The above is an article from someone with more experience.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I have much respect for jcp007, and trust me we have butted heads in the past. But I think that there is nothing wrong with loving a phone or a brand. He is a nice guy with just some strong feelings for Samsung. Nothing wrong with that in my book and I'm an HTC fan.

I do hope he wasn't insulted by my remarks. I do wish him the best.

We are solid. No worries. Thanks for your kind comments.

Bodzm

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Sold on Samsung: why I won’t be getting a G4, at least not anymore (Opinion) http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-not-getting-g4-601778/

I am an exuberant, enthusiastic smartphone forum member but I have never claimed to be a SME. The above is an article from someone with more experience.

To summarise, the G4 offers nothing new so that's why he hates it...say like that incredibly innovative sandwiched glass found in the S6? Nope, nothing like that in the G4. That seems to be his main gripe. The article reads like it was Samsung sponsored and lacks substance. There hasn't been anything innovative in years in mobile phones. The benefits of 2k haven't even been realised. He doesn't like the design. So what. Millions of others do.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
The article reads like it was Samsung sponsored and lacks substance.

Thats been the general response lately, since everyone is loving up the S6 and embracing how much they enjoy it (maybe its more of an appreciation of change on Samsung, since finally a major change since S3)...every positive article MUST be full of Samsung fanboys. The reality is Samsung sells A LOT of phones, i was against Samsung after i got an S3 and it ran horribly for the first 6 months...S6 brought me back. Point being is Samsung has been given a lot of media lately due to its good sales of S6/Edge, the article has very good points and he just doesnt seen the major benefit of the G4 over the S6.

Let me say I give LG full points for the G4, it looks exceptional no doubt...that camera looks stellar and the screen improvement is a nice addition and will be interesting to see a full review against the other big guns. With that said, you cant go wrong with any of the devices. For me, id still pick my S6 over the G4 mainly due to G4's size doesnt warrant the bigger screen for me. The phone is much bigger and bulkier at the expense that I have no interest in.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
My impressions from the previews and photo comparisons floating around is the G4's screen isn't quite as good as the S6 and the camera in auto isn't quite as good as the S6 although those differences are minor. Full manual controls and DNG output tilts the G4 camera heavily towards enthusiasts. The S6 wins on design, fingerprint scanner, quick charging, and built-in dual wireless charging, although these aren't important to a lot of people. The G4 (presumably) wins battery, but we shall see. Note that 5.1.1 appears to be pushing out already, so the S6 may have it across the board by the time the G4 is released.

Personally, the G4 is ruled out because of size -- 5.5" is too unwieldy for one-handed use, but the larger screen may be a benefit to some.

Bodzm

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Thats been the general response lately, since everyone is loving up the S6 and embracing how much they enjoy it (maybe its more of an appreciation of change on Samsung, since finally a major change since S3)...every positive article MUST be full of Samsung fanboys. The reality is Samsung sells A LOT of phones, i was against Samsung after i got an S3 and it ran horribly for the first 6 months...S6 brought me back. Point being is Samsung has been given a lot of media lately due to its good sales of S6/Edge, the article has very good points and he just doesnt seen the major benefit of the G4 over the S6.

Let me say I give LG full points for the G4, it looks exceptional no doubt...that camera looks stellar and the screen improvement is a nice addition and will be interesting to see a full review against the other big guns. With that said, you cant go wrong with any of the devices. For me, id still pick my S6 over the G4 mainly due to G4's size doesnt warrant the bigger screen for me. The phone is much bigger and bulkier at the expense that I have no interest in.

We'll have to see about the sales bit. Results aren't in yet. I'm sure they will sell a heck of a lot though

I'd agree. The G4 is too big for me too. It's phablet territory. I don't think they could figure out if they were going for the S6/iPhone 6 or Note 4/IP6+ and in the end positioned themselves in between. The replaceable battery is pretty awesome though. Battery degrades after 1 year quite a lot. Who wants to spend the time and money posting their S6 to Samsung? We hear all the battery problems right now, 18 months down the line it could be a hell of a lot worse. Swapping it out gives your device a new lease of life.

My impressions from the previews and photo comparisons floating around is the G4's screen isn't quite as good as the S6 and the camera in auto isn't quite as good as the S6 although those differences are minor. Full manual controls and DNG output tilts the G4 camera heavily towards enthusiasts. The S6 wins on design, fingerprint scanner, quick charging, and built-in dual wireless charging, although these aren't important to a lot of people. The G4 (presumably) wins battery, but we shall see. Note that 5.1.1 appears to be pushing out already, so the S6 may have it across the board by the time the G4 is released.

Personally, the G4 is ruled out because of size -- 5.5" is too unwieldy for one-handed use, but the larger screen may be a benefit to some.

The S6 looks like any other S device except with glass and a horrifically protruding camera. It looks like it was designed by a committee of accountants. How can this thing win any design plaudits? It's the same design! It's an incredibly repetitive and safe design. The Edge looks much more distinct and unique. I'd take the G4 design over the regular S6 - the red leather looks great - but yes it's just too big. Not sure why they chose 5.5" and made it the largest and fattest device in the series to date

Last edited:

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I don't think they could figure out if they were going for the S6/iPhone 6 or Note 4/IP6+ and in the end positioned themselves in between. The replaceable battery is pretty awesome though. Battery degrades after 1 year quite a lot. Who wants to spend the time and money posting their S6 to Samsung? We hear all the battery problems right now, 18 months down the line it could be a hell of a lot worse. Swapping it out gives your device a new lease of life.

I agree that LG could not figure out who their target audience is, I mean their choice isn't terrible by any means as it can satisfy a very large demographic.

Ramovable battery as an option is a positive no doubt, I wont disagree. Mind you I've not had a battery give on me before 3 years (knock on wood) but accessibility to battery could never be a negative. Someone buying the S6 should know whether it's important or not, to me it wasn't but to my sister it was so she updated from S3 to an S5.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The S6 looks like any other S device except with glass and a horrifically protruding camera. It looks like it was designed by a committee of accountants. How can this thing win any design plaudits? It's the same design! It's an incredibly repetitive and safe design. The Edge looks much more distinct and unique. I'd take the G4 design over the regular S6 - the red leather looks great - but yes it's just too big. Not sure why they chose 5.5" and made it the largest and fattest device in the series to date
The hump doesn't bother me on an aesthetic level, but it does make the S6 an air hockey puck when it's lying on a smooth surface. Since it's only making contact with the bottom edge of the phone and the bottom edge of the hump, there's little friction between the phone and the surface.

It all comes down to personal taste, but the S6 looks sleek compared to the G4, which looks chubby and squat to me. But the S6 edge blows both of them out of the water. And the leather back may look nice to some, but 99.9% of the time you're looking at the front of your phone and don't even notice the back. I remember being concerned about the glass back of the S6 being a fingerprint magnet, but after using it I realized that I don't look at the back and I don't really care.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87