10 Reasons GS6 Is Better Than the G4

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Are we yet seeing noticeable benefits of DDR4 and UFS 2.0, especially when so many reviewers noticed lag and frame drops on the S6, and apps closing/refreshing when switching? These are basics. I'm skeptical. The ufs 2.0 sounds interesting but I want to see benefits. There will be no benefits in watching your media for instance - slightly faster storage makes no difference. I'd bet money a properly optimised os/skin will outperform these small hardware updates. Apple do it year upon year with less capable hardware. The G4 isn't out so don't jump to conclusions

Fingerprint scanner and mobile payments are nice features but not key features that would sell a phone to me. Some would say removable battery and expandable storage ARE key features that are infinitely more useful.

I think lg use 1.8A anyway? I here it charges quick. Wireless charging would have been great, yes

Premium materials? Didn't you own several previous Samsung phones which all felt kinda cheap and nasty in my opinion. How is glass more premium than leather? It's apples and oranges. The AC team seem to really like the leather and feel it's premium.

Posted via the Android Central App

I noticed the same thing, years past the Samsung loyalists all said plastic did not matter a removable battery and SD card slot is why I purchased it, and of lets not forget water resitent, that is a must also every year Samsung releases a phone the same users come to justify there purchase and regardless to what Samsung adds or removes that is fine as long as it says Samsung on it, I am not bias to any brand I purchase whatever brand fill my needs in a product I can tell you one thing as for support of a product Samsung are the worst,'' I have had better experience with LG support though I do not buy a product on support alone,nothing against the s6 it is a great phone other then touchwiz which I never liked but a launcher can be changed.these same fans had no problems when Samsung made minor changes between the S4 S5,years ago the same thing with the display we heard the human eyes cannot tell the difference between the large pixel counts and high resolution.now because all manufacturer are useing it they add the screens are the best.and my all time favorite reason is they outsell everyone elese so that is why I buy it.I have never purchased a product based on marketing but yet as we see people still do.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
leather doesn't count but glass does? I respect your opinion, but at least be fair about it. personally, a removable battery trumps many of the S6 features. I'll wait till I hold the G4 before deciding, but I'm not gonna give props to the S6 build, then say leather doesn't count.

For years, Samsung has been hammered for the plastic back cover regardless of what finish or pattern. They made a bold design choice probably driven in part by built in wireless charging to include the glass which isn't your window pane variety. Obviously, outside of this forum and others, the real world demand for a swappable battery is growing smaller at rapid rate that the feature was not included. I have used smartphones since 2006 and never seen a battery being swapped.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Are we yet seeing noticeable benefits of DDR4 and UFS 2.0, especially when so many reviewers noticed lag and frame drops on the S6, and apps closing/refreshing when switching? These are basics. I'm skeptical. The ufs 2.0 sounds interesting but I want to see benefits. There will be no benefits in watching your media for instance - slightly faster storage makes no difference. I'd bet money a properly optimised os/skin will outperform these small hardware updates. Apple do it year upon year with less capable hardware. The G4 isn't out so don't jump to conclusions

Fingerprint scanner and mobile payments are nice features but not key features that would sell a phone to me. Some would say removable battery and expandable storage ARE key features that are infinitely more useful.

I think lg use 1.8A anyway? I here it charges quick. Wireless charging would have been great, yes

Premium materials? Didn't you own several previous Samsung phones which all felt kinda cheap and nasty in my opinion. How is glass more premium than leather? It's apples and oranges. The AC team seem to really like the leather and feel it's premium.

Lag has been experienced by some owners but I'm one of the those who have not experienced any noticeable lag. My GS6 is lightning fast and buttery smooth. There are some obvious benefits to the UFS 2.0 and the Exynos chipset. LG clearly decided to omit many new features, wireless charging and fingerprint scanner in particular, not they are vital, and that improving the camera and screen were enough to deserve your hard earned money. Whether you glaze or add leather, it's still plastic, something Samsung was hammered for years but when LG does it, it's premium. I greatly respect but don't always agree with the AC experts but it's only their opinion. Does TouchWiz need work? Sure. I would be the first to agree. I read a ton of articles, watched numerous videos, visited lots of sites as well as doing my own research and in store testing before making my purchase decision.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I am not really sure what is underneath the leather on my moto x, but it is by far the best material I've ever used, beating out the sublime 2013 nexus soft touch by a little. The rounded design also seems much better for using the device, but that does reduce thinness. Wireless charging has been absent from all of my phones except the nexus 6, but despite being slower, it is still fairly convenient... That said, I have to work very hard to try to kill the nexus battery within a single day (it takes 7-8 hours of SoT to destroy it) and I wouldn't tolerate a lesser device that required mid day charging no matter how good the screen and camera are. I'd honestly have preferred it if LG would have sealed the battery and removed external storage as well so that the resources spent on those could be spent on even better choices in the G4. Samsung is a non starter for me until they fix their buttons and calm down on the redundant apps, but I do have a lot of respect for their 2015 camera and screen. If LG legitimately beat them in both categories, then LG made the Q1/Q2 device to beat. Otherwise, the S6 is near 5th on my top 10 android list and LG wouldn't necessarily rise into the top 5 at all if their claims are incorrect. Right now I think several 2014 devices are more desirable than anything released so far this year.

Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
For years, Samsung has been hammered for the plastic back cover regardless of what finish or pattern. They made a bold design choice probably driven in part by built in wireless charging to include the glass which isn't your window pane variety. Obviously, outside of this forum and others, the real world demand for a swappable battery is growing smaller at rapid rate that the feature was not included. I have used smartphones since 2006 and never seen a battery being swapped.

agreed, I made that argument when it was released, about how Samsung is simply appealing to the masses and that the AC type MIGHT make up 2-3% of all consumers. it's smart on their end, results back that up, and it'll be very interesting to see what direction they go with the Note 5

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Seriously?

"4. Its not available yet"

That cannot be considered a disappointment...absurd and unfair.

It is just as the GS6 got hammered for not being comparable to the GS5. Early demo unit probably.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
LG G4 battery life test: nothing's changed since the G3

Hopefully, battery life improves with a firmware update.

I find PhoneArena to be particularly not trustworthy. Particularly their full review on this phone is awful. Elsewhere, we see battery life improvments, not here. Elsewhere, we see screen brightness improvements, not here. And whoever wrote that review needs better ESL classes and/or better editors.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I find PhoneArena to be particularly not trustworthy. Particularly their full review on this phone is awful. Elsewhere, we see battery life improvments, not here. Elsewhere, we see screen brightness improvements, not here. And whoever wrote that review needs better ESL classes and/or better editors.

You have to take every site opinion including this one with a grain of salt and think for yourself evaluating their input.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
You have to take every site opinion including this one with a grain of salt and think for yourself evaluating their input.

Yeah. Agreed. I have and I do and my conclusion on PhoneArena is not to trust them and I came to this conclusion several years ago. Their current output has done nothing to assuage this negative conclusion.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
LG G4:

Pros:
Materials (backplate)
Design (ergonomics)
Camera?
Screen?
Battery?

Cons:
Removable back plate
removable battery
micro SD card
Stock software

Unknown:
Storage options
Materials/Colors availability

Galaxy S6:

Pros:
Screen
Camera
Design (Unibody)

Cons:
Software
Design (camera lip, hardware buttons)
Materials (glass)

Unknown:
Battery

I'm not sure this list is comprehensive, but there are seemingly good and bad things about both devices and there's a very good reason that I think the chances are very good that we'll see much better devices this year.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, FM radio is nice to have, but I really haven't used mine much on my phone. I do think it counts as a "con" not to have it, but isn't really much of a con for me.

OK. I can't remember the last time I listened to FM radio. XM Sirius satellite radio is the way to go. Pretty sure that there is an app in the Play Store.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-G4-battery-life-test-nothings-changed-since-the-G3_id68951

Hopefully, battery life improves with a firmware update.

and how on earth does Sony get so much more life out of their battery, yet the other phones are nowhere close?

I'm not a fan of phonearena, there have been to many times where my experience hasn't matched up with their test results, but the Z3 definitely is supreme in that department. hopefully the next round of 2015 flagships will put more of an emphasis on battery life.

I'd love if the discussions surrounding battery, which have dominated these forums the last couple months, was about if you can get 36 hours and 10 SOT out of a charge. We should all, no matter the usage, be able to get through a whole day without even thinking about quick charge or replaceable batteries