Wireless charging and a Steelie magnet

Reerun25

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I recently upgraded to a S6, and have always used the Steelie mount system, magnet on the back of the phone and the ball mount in my car. My question is has anyone tried the wireless charging pad from Samsung (or any QI standard) with a Steelie magnet on the back? I have never used wireless charging before, so I am not sure it would work for one reason that the magnet will not allow the phone to sit flush on the pad, not to mention what the magnet might do to the charger itself. Anyway, just looking for information... Thanks...

Haroon Ikhlaq

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I've used the metal plate on the back of the case / phone with the magnetic car holder combo and v when I've placed the phone on the wireless charger, the metal plate had started tip heat up to the point where I've been able to smell the phone case burning!

The heat also transferred to the phone but luckily I was able to take the phone off before permanent damage was done

Posted from my S6

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Horrible idea. You'll melt your phone. Common sense would tell you this isn't a good idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

anon(475911)

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
k. Thanks for the input, figured but asked just in case by some miracle it would work.

Bummers, now to decide, steelie or wireless charging. Why can't I have it all!! :)

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a metal plate in between my S6 and a thin case near the bottom third of my phone. So, I use both the magnetic holder and several different wireless chargers with no issues.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I have a small plate on the lower third of the phone with a thin case and use wireless charging every night. You just have to adjust the metal plate to work with the qi charging pad.

Posted via the Android Central App

TrueTenacity

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I have been using an iMagnet mount since before I got my S6 edge...

The cellular radio and the wifi are no longer working on my phone for the 2nd time now...

Samsung says it's mainboard damage... and the only thing I can think of that would be the cause is exceptionally bad luck with logic boards or the magnetic mount causing trouble...

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Wow, that's scary to hear that the iMagnet could have cause damage to your S6. I've been using the Steelie magnet mount for 18 months now with my S6 and haven't had any issues.