Unwanted "Feature" Added To My Account Without My Approval By Verizon Rep!!!

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
So I got the phone on 4-10 like most folks. In spite of repeated efforts on the part of the rep (at a corporate store) to sell me cases, skins, screen protectors, half priced tablets, etc. I just kept repeating that all I wanted was the phone and nothing else. So after being badgered by this rep for over ten minutes, I finally walked out with my phone and nothing else....or so I thought.

Two days ago I got a letter from whatever outfit Verizon contracts with for insurance thanking me for being so smart as to have bought this insurance. WHAT???? Nope, didn't buy it, didn't ask for it and never would buy insurance on this or any other phone. Called Vz customer service and verified that this was, indeed, on my account. Asked to speak to a supervisor and explained the situation asking him not only to take this off my account, but indicated that was going to making an official complaint to the FCC about this and that I wanted to institute a formal complaint with Vz itself. I likened it to theft...pure and simple. And something that, in all likelihood, I would never even have been aware of if I hadn't received this letter. He assured me that an internal investigation of this would take place. Later I called the store manager in the store I was dealing with and repeated my story and complaint. He was outraged and said he would investigate this and get back to me later in the day. He did and said that the employee who did this was now subject to a period of six months intense oversight and careful monitoring and that he was reprimanded for this outrage. Vz customer service extended me a $25 credit for my inconvenience and the store itself also added another $25 credit to my account.

So, at the end of the day, Vz seems to have made every effort to do the right thing, but I point this out to others here as a public service of sorts. Watch you account carefully. There are some unscrupulous individuals out there. Be careful!

Last edited:

flugelboy

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
This happened to me at a T-Mobile store too. I walked out with only the phone. A few minutes later I got a text message welcoming me to "Jump" (T-Mo's version of an upgrade/insurance program) for $10/month.

A few days later, my next bill was automatically deducted from my bank account. Apparently, they also enrolled me in automatic payments, which I hate.

I just logged into the website, cancelled the Jump and reset to getting a bill in the mail. Took all of two minutes but it's pretty stupid that I was never even asked if I wanted either of those options.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
This happened to me on Verizon too.
They put it on my wife's phone.
Something like $8 a month.
I caught it about 2 months later.
Thought it was a mistake. Called them and had it cancelled.
Then a few months later it was back on.
Arghh!
I'm glad you're escalating the issue.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Since my wife and I have the grandfathered unlimited data on AT&T, each time we upgrade phones, I always call customer service to confirm that nothing has changed on our plans.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Unwanted "Feature" Added To My Account Without My Approval By Verizon Rep!!!

I want insurance. What if something happens to your expensive device?

Posted via the Android Central App

And that's precisely the point. It is the choice of the customer. If you want it then it's wonderful that they have it available for you to buy. But if you don't want it and never asked for it, it's nothing short of fraud to add it to your account.