Good phone for a 2 year contract?

JSC Dirtybird

May 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm due for an upgrade in August and currently have a iphone 4s. I'm probably going to switch to Android and the Galaxy S6 seems like the best Android phone available. I will be on a 2 year contract. Think the S6 is good enough for a 2 year contract? Or will it feel obsolete in 2 years?

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Most of us here used our renewals to get the S6, I don't think we would have if we didn't think it would be good for the next 2 years.

Based on my feedback since launch I have no concerns it will surpass the 2 year period.

Posted via the Android Central App

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
My biggest issue with the S6 is the software, this is a good thing as sw can get upgraded.

dreaming of electric sheep

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm due for an upgrade in August and currently have a iphone 4s. I'm probably going to switch to Android and the Galaxy S6 seems like the best Android phone available. I will be on a 2 year contract. Think the S6 is good enough for a 2 year contract? Or will it feel obsolete in 2 years?

It will be more than adequate until your next upgrade. It should hopefully be even better after the next Lollipop update.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

The S6 will seems like a new and better world from your 4s. I have a friend who is clinging to his 4s and will not try a new phone. He just has not idea what he is missing. Can't wait until he finally gets it. He is always asking us to search things since he does not have LTE...

If you kept that since it was new, then yes, the S6 will last you 2 years. Just make sure to give android a good 3 weeks to get used to. And try not to say "but on my iPhone, I could do this..." Give it a chance!

JSC Dirtybird

May 10, 2015
Visit site
The S6 will seems like a new and better world from your 4s. I have a friend who is clinging to his 4s and will not try a new phone. He just has not idea what he is missing. Can't wait until he finally gets it. He is always asking us to search things since he does not have LTE...

If you kept that since it was new, then yes, the S6 will last you 2 years. Just make sure to give android a good 3 weeks to get used to. And try not to say "but on my iPhone, I could do this..." Give it a chance!

Why would he not want to upgrade from the 4s??? Not to a 6 or even to a 5s or a 5c? I can relate to not being able to search for anything. I will be so glad to move on from 3G...

I'll be sure to wait a few weeks to get used to it haha. Admittedly I am a bit worried I won't like some things as much as iphone, but I think I will like it better after giving Android a chance. Anyway thanks everyone I'm pretty sure now I'm getting the S6!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Why would he not want to upgrade from the 4s??? Not to a 6 or even to a 5s or a 5c? I can relate to not being able to search for anything. I will be so glad to move on from 3G...

I'll be sure to wait a few weeks to get used to it haha. Admittedly I am a bit worried I won't like some things as much as iphone, but I think I will like it better after giving Android a chance. Anyway thanks everyone I'm pretty sure now I'm getting the S6!

He is the most patient man on earth! A wife, three beautiful daughters and two female Maltese dogs. lol! If you are a huge iMessage user that would be one area that android does not do as well, especially if your family all have iPhones. I do not even have iMessage turned on on my 6+ because I swap back and forth and just got tired of the "procedures" to keep my texts from getting messed up.

JSC Dirtybird

May 10, 2015
Visit site
He is the most patient man on earth! A wife, three beautiful daughters and two female Maltese dogs. lol! If you are a huge iMessage user that would be one area that android does not do as well, especially if your family all have iPhones. I do not even have iMessage turned on on my 6+ because I swap back and forth and just got tired of the "procedures" to keep my texts from getting messed up.

Haha I see.

Yeah all of my family and most of my friends have iPhones and we all use iMessage (I think). Could they still send text messages to me? That could be a problem if not...

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Haha I see.

Yeah all of my family and most of my friends have iPhones and we all use iMessage (I think). Could they still send text messages to me? That could be a problem if not...

Yes of course but just not imessage. You can still do mms also but imessage is such a good option. Lots of cross platform solutions also but I have never been successful in getting an iPhone user to use anything but imessage.

Posted via my Galaxy S6!

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I'd say it depends on how tied into Apple's ecosystem you are and what you're looking for.

I have an iPad and MacBook, but despise iPhone. the main reason is I have OCD and I like things a specific way. for example, each app has its symbol and the name below. I only like the symbol, the name below is ugly IMO and useless. Android I simply install a custom launcher and set it to my liking, iPhone I'm stuck with it.

obviously that's just an example, but you get the point. Android is so much more customizable and if you enjoy tinkering around with your phone, you'll like it.

If you're used to Apple's ecosystem across the board, you're not gonna get the same experience on Android. There's just a lot more moving parts so it's not as fluid. It's definitely manageable though. I have two Android devices, the Macbook and iPad, and a Dell xps and things work just fine.

As far as the S6, I'm sure you've read the reviews so you know it's a great device. Some people have had some issues, such as the home button rattling, but just like any device that sells by the tens of millions, it'll have a few issues.

If you're up in August, you might want to see if the Moto X 3rd Gen is out. Personally I'm looking forward to it. The knock on last year's model was a bad camera and battery life, but everything else, especially the UX was money. Rumor has it the battery will be significantly upgraded, as well as the camera. The battery I believe, the camera I'm not so sure. Moto has never had much success in the camera department and I think it's safe to say it won't compare to the S6.

Good luck.

JSC Dirtybird

May 10, 2015
Visit site
Yes of course but just not imessage. You can still do mms also but imessage is such a good option. Lots of cross platform solutions also but I have never been successful in getting an iPhone user to use anything but imessage.

Posted via my Galaxy S6!

Yeah I'm not sure if I could get everyone to turn off iMessage. As long as I do one of these methods, I should be able to get their messages without them turning iMessage off right?: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

JSC Dirtybird

May 10, 2015
Visit site
I'd say it depends on how tied into Apple's ecosystem you are and what you're looking for.

I have an iPad and MacBook, but despise iPhone. the main reason is I have OCD and I like things a specific way. for example, each app has its symbol and the name below. I only like the symbol, the name below is ugly IMO and useless. Android I simply install a custom launcher and set it to my liking, iPhone I'm stuck with it.

obviously that's just an example, but you get the point. Android is so much more customizable and if you enjoy tinkering around with your phone, you'll like it.

If you're used to Apple's ecosystem across the board, you're not gonna get the same experience on Android. There's just a lot more moving parts so it's not as fluid. It's definitely manageable though. I have two Android devices, the Macbook and iPad, and a Dell xps and things work just fine.

As far as the S6, I'm sure you've read the reviews so you know it's a great device. Some people have had some issues, such as the home button rattling, but just like any device that sells by the tens of millions, it'll have a few issues.

If you're up in August, you might want to see if the Moto X 3rd Gen is out. Personally I'm looking forward to it. The knock on last year's model was a bad camera and battery life, but everything else, especially the UX was money. Rumor has it the battery will be significantly upgraded, as well as the camera. The battery I believe, the camera I'm not so sure. Moto has never had much success in the camera department and I think it's safe to say it won't compare to the S6.

Good luck.

I only have one Apple device (iPhone 4s). I haven't bought any apps, although I have a lot of songs on itunes. There are plenty of ways to transfer songs though. It might be a bit of a pain to switch at first, but after a couple of weeks of getting used to it I should be good to go. I'll be sure to keep an eye on the Moto X and whatever other Android phones are coming out around August.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I'm not sure if I could get everyone to turn off iMessage. As long as I do one of these methods, I should be able to get their messages without them turning iMessage off right?: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

Yes, just make sure to turn off iMessage and sign out of it on all devices you have with it (iPad, Macbook?) Even after that you may not receive group iMessages. If you can get everyone with you on a group iMessage to delete the group message and start fresh it should work fine.
Lots if tips and fixes. Just make sure you do it more switching to android.

JSC Dirtybird

May 10, 2015
Visit site
Yes, just make sure to turn off iMessage and sign out of it on all devices you have with it (iPad, Macbook?) Even after that you may not receive group iMessages. If you can get everyone with you on a group iMessage to delete the group message and start fresh it should work fine.
Lots if tips and fixes. Just make sure you do it more switching to android.

I only have one Apple device with iMessage (iPhone). I'll be sure to turn it off before switching, thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non