To buy or not to buy...that is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt34Bears

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Hello all!

My current phone is an aging Galaxy S3. I like it, but it is getting a little long in the tooth. The S6 looks to be a very appealing phone; however, I have always appreciated the simplicity of stock android. Google is rumored to be releasing a 5.2 inch LG nexus phone this fall. My question is: should I hold out for the nexus phone or grab the S6 now?

Important things to remember:
  • I am fine with waiting. I don't NEED a new phone right now
  • Stock android is a big consideration for me
  • I do appreciate the fingerprint scanner on the S6
  • I am a little concerned with the battery life on the S6, so it woiuld be very helpful in somone could comment on that

Thanks! :)

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
This is a re-post, hope it helps

S6 is a great device, I mainly bought it for the camera, here's some pros and cons from my perspective.

Pros - screen, camera, quick charge.

Cons- touchwizz, battery optimization, external speaker, (lollipop ROM leakage)

Touchwizz frustration can mostly be solved with Google Now Launcher, and there are a lot of tweaks you can do to make the most of your battery, but at the end of the day it would of been nice if Samsung spent more time optimizing the battery.

Things I miss from my HTC M7, the aluminum design/build , Sense and external speakers.

dreaming of electric sheep

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would just wait to see what the next Google offering is, since you can wait and want stock Android

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

vzinoz

May 12, 2015
Visit site
Definitely get it. I used to have the s4, didn't really enjoy it and swore I would never get another samsung again. Now I've had the s6 for about a week now and am loving every single bit of it.

Posted via the Android Central App

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Hello all!

My current phone is an aging Galaxy S3. I like it, but it is getting a little long in the tooth. The S6 looks to be a very appealing phone; however, I have always appreciated the simplicity of stock android. Google is rumored to be releasing a 5.2 inch LG nexus phone this fall. My question is: should I hold out for the nexus phone or grab the S6 now?

• I am a little concerned with the battery life on the S6, so it woiuld be very helpful in somone could comment on that

Sounds to me like you should wait. I'm also anxious to see what the smaller nexus is all about but I doubt the camera will be as good as the s6.

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
The GS6 is a great phone, but if you have no problem waiting then I'd definitely go that route. You'll have more buying options by the time the next Nexus is available.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Hello all!

Stock android lover here too but honestly since they have slimmed down touchwiz from 1001 features you will never use I think it is pretty nice and more useful than stock android. I mean something like seeing the battery %, sliding a contact left or right to call or text and customizing the quick settings in the notifications shade. The fingerprint scanner is pretty useful, similar to iphone.

One area I am not sure yet on is radios. Need more personal testing to see how this compares to my Nexus 6 radios which are superb.

Overall it is a great device. If you get it you will have a return period. I got mine from Amazon to get a 30 day return period versus 14 day with Att. Got my first S6 from att but returned it and got my second from Amazon.
Pretty happy with it. If the camera is in any way shape or form important to you the S6 is the best camera I have seen on an android.

Posted via my Galaxy S6!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=529491

Please see the link above to a similar thread. In the end, it is only a question that you can answer.

It is a device that you can be very happy with and is future proof for at least the next couple of years. It should be one of the top two or three smartphones this year, one of the top two. It all depends upon your needs. Does the SD card slot or removable with a plastic back and chassis really mean anyway? Best of luck. There are a lot of great smartphones to choose from.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Richard Meyers

May 14, 2015
Visit site
As for the battery life, I'm getting a little more time vs my GS3 but I don't stream a lot of video. As already mentioned only you can make the final decision. For me the GS6 was a huge improvement and I'm very happy with it.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
If stock Android is a big deal then I'd say wait. I always thought Google stock was great, but as time passed with my nexus 5, I became more jealous of the OEM features other phones offered on Android in their stock OS. If you're used to touch wiz I'd test a Google stock device to make sure it has all the features it offers.

I can say the S6 is the greatest phone I've ever used and having owned since launch no regrets. Everything about the phone is stellar in my books, it's just too awesome.

But if you want to try something different, I get it and wait definitely wait.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm in a similar situation, and I'm waiting for the nexus and moto x before pulling the trigger. the S6 is a great looking phone, but I prefer closer to stock and am concerned with how inconsistent the s6 seems to be.

some users report amazing battery life, other not so much. I shouldn't have to disable/tweak so many things just to get my phone functioning properly. I'm also concerned about that sealed battery down the road, and even though it's toned down a ton, I'm not a big TW fan (one of my phones is an S4).

the new blue S6 would be my choice, aesthetically it's pretty much perfect, but that's not a big factor for me. and obviously it's not just a good looking phone, if you factor in everything, it's arguably the best phone ever made. that'll depend on what's important to you though. I'm sure you know all about the camera, and if you haven't seen any test shots, definitely Google it and check em out.

if the nexus and moto x disappoint, I'll either revisit the G4 and S6, or just wait til 2016. like u, I'm not in a big rush. my phone work good enough and I don't mind having the extra cash in my pocket!

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
OP
From an iPhone6 user

The GS6 is a very good device. There really are no downsides. Battery life is fantastic (as good as the IP6) and build is very good, typical Samsung quality.

IMO apps are the battery / time killers so I think depending on how your device performs throughout the day will depend largely on how your configure it.

Historically the Nexus generations have proven to be a pig in a poke. Why not buy the GS6 now, and see if the next Nexus is worth a second look once it's released?

edit: I'm using a Galaxy Gear S tethered to the phone with no noticeable battery hit through the day at all.

Last edited:

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm running an S4 with spare batteries and the phone is operating well. Just moved over transferred domain and corporate emails to Google Apps and everything inc Ooma phones are forwarded to the S4... and running well.

Have been to the Verizon store a few times and I like the S6 and the fluidity from which it operates.

I do not like the small battery and the inability to swap out a fresh battery. I also noticed the S6 getting WARM to the touch while running it hard through the internet browser. My S4 has never gotten this warm and I run it really hard.

I'm ready to buy outright a new phone to keep my UDP but am not sold on the S6 as of yet! If I HAD TO buy a new phone it would be the Note 4 or S6... as I like Samsung. But I'm on extended warranty too and if things go south.. I'll be protected with a no deductible replacement.

The S6 is a beautiful phone and its the right size too. It's the darn non removable battery issue... at the moment that is stopping me from buying one.

I'm patient. .. not in a hurry to buy... waiting for the right phone!

legend221

May 11, 2015
Visit site

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Buy the S6 Active. It's a far superior phone.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Galaxy S6.
Aside from the card slot, waterproof and larger battery, how? Sure battery life will better being larger. Same tired, plastic design, are you really going to be in aquatic environment needing water proofing. Analog recent app and back buttons versus capacitive. Don't miss the card slot or swappable battery. That just my take. If you like it, get whatever works best for you and that you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty