S6 Annoyances

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Another annoyance is when I wipe my cache some settings change their state from what I've configured. An example would be the "Always scan for Wifi" comes back on when I had it disabled. Found this out this morning, so now I'll have to review all of my device settings to be sure there aren't more. I know when you turn Location Services off/on it defaults back to high accuracy, but that happens without a wipe.

Kookie Mon

May 6, 2015
Visit site
The whole point of being able to screen cast is so you don't need to take your tv with you when you travel. I think this is ultimately the problem that people who have problems with screen mirroring are having. I travel a lot and would prefer not to have to take my tv with me. With older Galaxy phones one could connect the phone to the TV using an MHL adapter and it worked great. I have my home computer connected to two flat screens when I need to watch or stream movies. Using the Galaxy S6 to screen mirror at home seems like an asinine thing to do.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I've got a few annoyances that range from nit-picky to ones that negatively affect my usage:

- Battery life for me hasn't ever been stellar. I usually get about 3hrs screen time and by afternoon it's just about flat. I've tried various tweaks I've read to try and improve it, but haven't really noticed any difference. Sometimes at about lunch I just put it on power saving to keep it going into the night.

- I still get slight stutter and lag here and there. About 90% of the time it's fine, but every now and then it'll stutter between homescreen pages, drop frames when swiping from app to app or in Chrome tabs, take a couple seconds to open the multitasker app, the double press home button to open camera definitely takes longer than 0.7s or whatever they advertised etc. I just don't feel it's the fastest/smoothest android phone I've used.

- Notifications muting music for a good 3 seconds and that bar that pops up when you get a notification that just stays there for what feels like forever. I don't need it on the top of the screen like that. Just play the sound (don't need to completely mute music), and have the icon pop up in the notification bar at the top.

- Screen. While it's very good, I find it quite over saturated, to the point that some apps look blinding. I use the Google Keep app a lot and the yellow and red notes are so intense, they're hard to look at. Of the four screen settings two of them are oversaturated for me and the other two are too dull and undersaturated. I would have liked a screen setting to be in the middle.

- The auto-brightness is quite bad. I can turn the screen on, turn it off, turn it on, turn it off, turn it on and it'll select a different brightness every time. Very inconsistent. I find it regularly being too low or too bright in situations. Also the transition from light to dark or dark to light is not a smooth, gradual transition as it is in other phones. It just kind of flicks to the brightness which is jarring.

- Even though the phone has 3gb ram and it constantly uses around 2.7gb of it, I always find apps and web pages have to reload if you move away to another app or homescreen or something. It seems to have really aggressive ram management and kills off apps really fast. Very frustrating when you're on Chrome filling out some form, go home to look at your Drive documents to get some details, go back to Chrome and it has to reload the page from scratch with all info wiped.

- The external speaker is not very good. Over half volume it starts cracking and distorting on mids and especially highs. I used to use external speaker for calls a lot on my previous phone, but now I've stopped doing that completely.

- Our firmware doesn't have auto-rotate for images in the gallery, which is extremely annoying. You have to rotate the phone, then press the 'rotate' button for the image to rotate. It also doesn't allow apps in the app drawer to be sorted alphabetically or line up so that there aren't gaps in app pages. A launcher fixes the app drawer stuff, but doesn't fix the gallery issue, which is not ideal.

- Because of the camera protruding from the body, I already have scratches on the bottom part of the camera module.

- I don't like TouchWiz's aesthetic and the Themes aren't any better. I'd like a theme that looks professional, classy and not designed for children. Better yet, just let us customise our own theme. I'd love to change the colours used in the notification shade, settings, phone dialer etc.

- The notification light seems to only have three colours: blue for notifications, red for charging, green for fully charged. When there is a notification the light takes a really long time to show up between pulses. A lot of times I've looked at the phone, waited a second or two, seen nothing, only to find out that there was a notification, but the pulse timing is so long. There's no way to customise the colours or pulse timing in the settings so you're left with having to download an app to fix it.

So that's about it. Again, they range from nit-picky to more serious issues. And they're things I personally have issues with and understand not everyone would feel the same.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I've got a few annoyances that range from nit-picky to ones that negatively affect my usage:

- Battery life for me hasn't ever been stellar. I usually get about 3hrs screen time and by afternoon it's just about flat. I've tried various tweaks I've read to try and improve it, but haven't really noticed any difference. Sometimes at about lunch I just put it on power saving to keep it going into the night.

- I still get slight stutter and lag here and there. About 90% of the time it's fine, but every now and then it'll stutter between homescreen pages, drop frames when swiping from app to app or in Chrome tabs, take a couple seconds to open the multitasker app, the double press home button to open camera definitely takes longer than 0.7s or whatever they advertised etc. I just don't feel it's the fastest/smoothest android phone I've used.

- Notifications muting music for a good 3 seconds and that bar that pops up when you get a notification that just stays there for what feels like forever. I don't need it on the top of the screen like that. Just play the sound (don't need to completely mute music), and have the icon pop up in the notification bar at the top.

- Screen. While it's very good, I find it quite over saturated, to the point that some apps look blinding. I use the Google Keep app a lot and the yellow and red notes are so intense, they're hard to look at. Of the four screen settings two of them are oversaturated for me and the other two are too dull and undersaturated. I would have liked a screen setting to be in the middle.

- The auto-brightness is quite bad. I can turn the screen on, turn it off, turn it on, turn it off, turn it on and it'll select a different brightness every time. Very inconsistent. I find it regularly being too low or too bright in situations. Also the transition from light to dark or dark to light is not a smooth, gradual transition as it is in other phones. It just kind of flicks to the brightness which is jarring.

- Even though the phone has 3gb ram and it constantly uses around 2.7gb of it, I always find apps and web pages have to reload if you move away to another app or homescreen or something. It seems to have really aggressive ram management and kills off apps really fast. Very frustrating when you're on Chrome filling out some form, go home to look at your Drive documents to get some details, go back to Chrome and it has to reload the page from scratch with all info wiped.

- The external speaker is not very good. Over half volume it starts cracking and distorting on mids and especially highs. I used to use external speaker for calls a lot on my previous phone, but now I've stopped doing that completely.

- Our firmware doesn't have auto-rotate for images in the gallery, which is extremely annoying. You have to rotate the phone, then press the 'rotate' button for the image to rotate. It also doesn't allow apps in the app drawer to be sorted alphabetically or line up so that there aren't gaps in app pages. A launcher fixes the app drawer stuff, but doesn't fix the gallery issue, which is not ideal.

- Because of the camera protruding from the body, I already have scratches on the bottom part of the camera module.

- I don't like TouchWiz's aesthetic and the Themes aren't any better. I'd like a theme that looks professional, classy and not designed for children. Better yet, just let us customise our own theme. I'd love to change the colours used in the notification shade, settings, phone dialer etc.

- The notification light seems to only have three colours: blue for notifications, red for charging, green for fully charged. When there is a notification the light takes a really long time to show up between pulses. A lot of times I've looked at the phone, waited a second or two, seen nothing, only to find out that there was a notification, but the pulse timing is so long. There's no way to customise the colours or pulse timing in the settings so you're left with having to download an app to fix it.

So that's about it. Again, they range from nit-picky to more serious issues. And they're things I personally have issues with and understand not everyone would feel the same.

Short and sweet. Sorry you aren't having a great experience with the phone. There's an American saying...fish or cut bait. It sounds like you are unhappy with the GS6 and would be happier with the next big thing later this year. Hope you stick around and at least see if any updates help some of your issues.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I've never understood picky people. I adapt to everything around me including every phone I have owned. There will never be a perfect phone or machine until one passes the Turing Test and takes over the world....

These phones are still very new and things will get smoother as updates rollout.

Battery life will hopefully get better for some of yall as I don't have a problem with it. 14 hrs with 5 hrs of Sot with 44% still to go.

These hiccups that occur when doing simple things are more than likely because the way the 8 processors are programed to work with one another.

Posted via the Android Central App

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
I've never understood picky people. I adapt to everything around me including every phone I have owned. There will never be a perfect phone or machine until one passes the Turing Test and takes over the world....

These phones are still very new and things will get smoother as updates rollout.

Battery life will hopefully get better for some of yall as I don't have a problem with it. 14 hrs with 5 hrs of Sot with 44% still to go.

These hiccups that occur when doing simple things are more than likely because the way the 8 processors are programed to work with one another.

The inconsistency in the battery life is seriously pi**ing me off. I notice it more having coming from the iPhone six plus. Yesterday my phone had 4-5 hours of screen on time. Today it was seven. Why shouldn't it be consistent? Why shouldn't my numbers be as impressive as yours when we have the exact same phone?

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
The inconsistency in the battery life is seriously pi**ing me off. I notice it more having coming from the iPhone six plus. Yesterday my phone had 4-5 hours of screen on time. Today it was seven. Why shouldn't it be consistent? Why shouldn't my numbers be as impressive as yours when we have the exact same phone?

There are so many factors between one persons phone and another's. I'm a minimalist so I only have key apps that I use on a daily basic. If I can do it through my Web browser, such as FB for an example, I don't need the app. Actually I just counted, I've downloaded 16 apps that doesn't come preloaded with the phone. I also have 37 preinstalled apps disabled.

Not only that but cell reception, GPS efficiency, WiFi, and many more factors that keep going. Heck, even heat is a factor.

Not sure if it was in this thread I read it, but someone mentioned it projected them only having 10hrs of time right after taking it off the charger with a full battery. This is due to having settings setup to drain your battery for days or weeks. Then you start fixing these settings and such. The memory of your 10 hour days are still in there. It's probably best to FRS and start over again. Just my opinion.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't recall but I think we talked about clearing the cache partition. Have you done that? I only ask because I'd like to know but don't want go digging through a to nod posts.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I don't recall but I think we talked about clearing the cache partition. Have you done that? I only ask because I'd like to know but don't want go digging through a to nod posts.

Good suggestion - thanks...I do a cache partition clear once every 2-3 days just for the heck of it. Not sure how much it helps but it certainly can't hurt.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Totally agree. For some issues, looking in the mirror would help. No one forced them to buy the phone. No one told not to do their own research and not just rely on demo videos. It's never an issue of personal responsibility or usage habits or carrier related issues or OS bugs or a combination of the above. It's always the fault of Samsung device design and manufacturing. Especially when you are an early adopter, that's anyone who buys a month or less after release, issues will arise and require adaptation.

Thread title is S6 annoyances, those aspects of the S6 annoy him, and there's nothing wrong with that. Essentially you are annoyed that those things annoy him, how ridiculous.

dreaming of electric sheep

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Thread title is S6 annoyances, those aspects of the S6 annoy him, and there's nothing wrong with that. Essentially you are annoyed that those things annoy him, how ridiculous.

Nope. Point is some annoyances can be mitigated by taking a bit of personal responsibility for device management and acknowledging that past habits and carrier issues as root causes for issues that are a mangable from an end user perspective.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Yep.

Thread is to discuss issues about the S6 that annoy people. Don't know why anyone would get offended at what other people find annoying.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
I have literally turned off practically everything. I am constantly trying to find new articles or new videos to watch to give me even more tips to save battery life. How do I do the FRS and the clearing the cache partition you guys are talking about?

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Just got mine S6 and I found few really annoying things.
- The touch is too sensitivity. Makes 1 hand navigation really annoying.
- Folder options are gone! Before u can create folder on both homescreen and appdrawer by clicking on menu button, now u need to drag 2 apps together to create a folder. Also in folder there are no add apps option and had to drag 1 app at the time into the folder.
- Miss the menu key. The toogle apps key is useless and prefer as before. Longpress home button to bring up apps toggle and a menu key.
- Glass back is real bad idea. Too slippery and the phone just keep sliding around, when typing or using on on a table/sofa. Also the reason behind many that havent theirs phones wireless charged to 100% overnight using, since Samsungs official wireless charger have only 1 coil and the phone need to be align to center for it to charge. Since the phone is slippery and it will slide off center and make it stop charging.

I hopes Samsung would fix the touch sensitivity in future updates.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Just got mine S6 and I found few really annoying things.
- The touch is too sensitivity. Makes 1 hand navigation really annoying.
- Folder options are gone! Before u can create folder on both homescreen and appdrawer by clicking on menu button, now u need to drag 2 apps together to create a folder. Also in folder there are no add apps option and had to drag 1 app at the time into the folder.
- Miss the menu key. The toogle apps key is useless and prefer as before. Longpress home button to bring up apps toggle and a menu key.
- Glass back is real bad idea. Too slippery and the phone just keep sliding around, when typing or using on on a table/sofa. Also the reason behind many that havent theirs phones wireless charged to 100% overnight using, since Samsungs official wireless charger have only 1 coil and the phone need to be align to center for it to charge. Since the phone is slippery and it will slide off center and make it stop charging.

I hopes Samsung would fix the touch sensitivity in future updates.

My screen is so sensitive it's ridiculous. I try and watch some videos on YouTube and if I move my phone in my hands it picks up and kind of movement and will change videos based on where my hands are. Like seriously -_-

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I have literally turned off practically everything. I am constantly trying to find new articles or new videos to watch to give me even more tips to save battery life. How do I do the FRS and the clearing the cache partition you guys are talking about?

First, try clearing the cache partition.

Turn the GS6 off.
Hold Home+volume up+Power.
In Manual Mode, use the volume rocker to toggle to clear cache partition. Power to accept.
When done, toggle to reboot.

When it comes back up, go to Settings/Storage and clear the app data cache. Do at least once a week.

Reset device to factory is also in your Settings.