Unsolicited Pop Up Adds in Lollypop Galaxy 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
HI. I have an s6. Does anyone know of a music app to download free music that actually has good quality? The app I was using no longer exists for some reason.

♡ Live life to the fullest ♡

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Incorrect, 90% of the pop-ups on the new Galaxy 6s were from Google, after all it was my phone and my experience. I have promoted internet development since dos. I do not live in a cave or wish to. I am not a product and do not want to be advertised as one by any corporation making money at my expense.

This is either a defective phone, app, or user error. I have a friend who doesn't have a Google account.... No problem.... I just side load apps on her note 4. No need to agree to the terms of Google play. No pop up ads or anything on the note 4 or her older Androids.

To put it to the test do a factory data reset and don't install anything... See if you get any pop up ads. You shouldn't.

You don't wish to live in a cave, but don't want to agree to the terms of service of the major providers - Google, Microsoft, yahoo,etc. That would be really hard to do. It is your choice of course, but you will have to follow the road less traveled.

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
To clarify the Apple vs Google data sharing thing from earlier -

There is a common misconception that Google is very loose with user data and that Apple and/or Microsoft are stalwart defenders of user's private information. Here are the differences in the privacy approach, in a nutshell:

Apple: By having an Apple account, you agree that Apple may, at its discretion, share your personal information with any of its partners without your direct consent or knowledge. They will protect your personal information as best they can from invasion, but they reserve the right to strategically use your data as a commodity. Apple does regularly share aggregated data in which personal information is not present.

Google: By having a Google account, you agree that Google may use your information in order to present more relevant advertisements to you across the web and in some connected services. None of your personal information will ever be shared with any of Google's advertisement business customers or business partners. There is a possibility for your personal information to be shared with another service or app, in which case Google will ask for your explicit permission for each service or app and let you know the kinds of data that may be shared. Google does regularly share aggregated data in which personal data is not present.

The difference is that Google will never share your personal data without your permission, while Apple assumes that it is their right to do so, as it strategically benefits them. Here's the reason: Google's business is data. This is important to them. Their lifeblood rests on having a humongous wall of separation between your personal data and any and all third parties that you don't want the data shared with. Apple is in a different business, with some overlap. They know they have to be relatively vigilant, but they have a wider range of things they are willing to do that they assume people are generally okay with.

Neither of them is doing anything sinister, but if you really don't want your personal information bought, sold and traded, Google is the only giant data company I know of that doesn't participate in that game.

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes that is true. I did not click and I returned the phone. It's the non tech savy people I'm trying to reach, the ones who don't read the Terms.
When you go and purchase your new phone and then dont sign up to Apple,what part of IOS will you be able to use?Surely you`ll be in the same situation as you were with Google ie. if you dont sign up you cant use the service??

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
When you go and purchase your new phone and then dont sign up to Apple,what part of IOS will you be able to use?Surely you`ll be in the same situation as you were with Google ie. if you dont sign up you cant use the service??

It's actually worst on an iPhone. You can't do anything at all without an Apple account.

Posted via the Android Central App

dcool19d

May 10, 2015
Visit site
Plot twist:
You returned an amazing phone only to switch to an iPhone to later discover that the government (NASA) Is watching you no matter what phone you use.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Plot twist:
You returned an amazing phone only to switch to an iPhone to later discover that the government (NASA) Is watching you no matter what phone you use.

NASA? Lol, you mean NSA! Unless NASA has decided to hack every phone for a matrix style study believing we are nothing but a hologram!

Posted via the Android Central App

moheeb

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
You are mixing few things together and I want to clarify them.
1- Google collects data when you add a google account to your phone. You don't need to add a google account to run your phone. Also, you can use third party app stores to download apps for your phone.
2- Google does not show or display any type of ads in your smart phone.
3- apps developers select one or more ads network providers like (admob --> google, mobile core, airpush...etc) and integrate the ads network in their applications. Apps developers decide when and how to display the ads to you.
4- Some apps developers use shady ads network which install malicious apps in your phone after installing the main software. These apps track all your personal data, sell your data, and display popup ads to you when you are not using the main app that causes the problem.
6- Google usually ban these apps and remove them from Google Play. You can contribute by reporting these apps to google https://support.google.com/googleplay/?p=report_content
7- Apps developers are not allowed to display ads when their applications are not running. Report any app that displays ads to google and it will be removed.

The problem of the ads you are facing is caused by a third party software you installed. The ads appeared to you because the developer of one of the apps you are using decided to enable the ads.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress