Weather Channel?

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
I am legitimately confused as to why the weather Channel is the most used app on my phone. I barely ever go on it. Could it be because I have it as a widget? New to Android widgets so have no idea really how they work

Attachments

• 1432364211565.jpg
    1432364211565.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 1432364223170.jpg
    1432364223170.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 99

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
You are correct. The widget constant refreshes. I would suggest you delete the widget if you don't use it. Or, you can go into the app settings for the weather channel and adjust how often it syncs info

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
You are correct. The widget constant refreshes. I would suggest you delete the widget if you don't use it. Or, you can go into the app settings for the weather channel and adjust how often it syncs info

Great tip. I have the app and will check the settings. For weather widgets, I have only used the stock widgets in the widget drawer.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Thank you so much for the tip guys. I thought this might have been the reason and force stopped the app. It has now stopped appearing on my battery stats

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I have severe weather alerts enabled during this season in my region of the country as it is tornado season. Last time Hurricane Elvis came through several years ago, it was a handy feature but I was on a RIM device at the time. You can also turn off location based services. NOT sure if that only applies to situations where the app is opened and being used.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's the widget, I have the same issue with Weather Channel app on my M8 and I don't have any widget. I think the app just keeps constantly refreshing in the background. You can force stop it but next time you reboot it will start back up again. I have thought about uninstalling the app but my battery life is great otherwise so I just left it alone. I've been looking for another weather app that is not such a battery hog but apparently they all are.

player22

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I uninstalled the weather channel app . It just uses to much battery. If I find a app that uses a lot of battery I uninstall it and search around until i find one that's similar and doesn't use battery like crazy.

CharlesCC2

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Weather Channel app is absolutely killer. I still haven't found a weather app that I prefer over it so I'm ambivalent for now. While removing the widget may help, that is not the only issue with Weather Channel draining battery. I got rid of the widget, and some days Weather Channel still shows up as a primary offender. Force stopping the background processes will completely stop it from eating battery, but having to do that every time you close out the app can be tedious.

What's really a shame is how their location services toggle works. If it's on, and as long as the Weather Channel process is running, it seems that it will use GPS at its own discretion in the background and eat up battery. If you turn off location services you cannot use GPS to update your location within the app at all. You either have to turn it back on momentarily to update your location, or manually enter a zip code. There needs to be a way to prevent the Weather Channel app from using GPS outside of having the app open and only using it to refresh your location within the app. I suppose keep location services off and flipping it on when you want to update your location is the only answer here, but it is a poor design choice.

I actually haven't tried letting the app and widget run with location services disabled within the app, but I'm going to try that to see if it stops it from eating battery, which I assume would be the case from everything I mentioned above.

Edit: After turning off location services you might need to close the app, and completely end the process for it to truly be off. I turned off location services and closed the app and my phone was still pinging GPS heavily (for about 5 seconds with 10 seconds between ping) until I ended the process (it won't show up under the processes tab, you have to find it under the running tab and force stop it). But strangely, about five minutes I've opened the app again, set location services on, set it to follow me, and put the widget back on the desktop, but GPS has not pinged once since. Now I'm a little confused.

Last edited:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Weather Channel app is absolutely killer. I still haven't found a weather app that I prefer over it so I'm ambivalent for now. While removing the widget may help, that is not the only issue with Weather Channel draining battery. I got rid of the widget, and some days Weather Channel still shows up as a primary offender. Force stopping the background processes will completely stop it from eating battery, but having to do that every time you close out the app can be tedious.

What's really a shame is how their location services toggle works. If it's on, and as long as the Weather Channel process is running, it seems that it will use GPS at its own discretion in the background and eat up battery. If you turn off location services you cannot use GPS to update your location within the app at all. You either have to turn it back on momentarily to update your location, or manually enter a zip code. There needs to be a way to prevent the Weather Channel app from using GPS outside of having the app open and only using it to refresh your location within the app. I suppose keep location services off and flipping it on when you want to update your location is the only answer here, but it is a poor design choice.

I actually haven't tried letting the app and widget run with location services disabled within the app, but I'm going to try that to see if it stops it from eating battery, which I assume would be the case from everything I mentioned above.

Can you disable in the settings in the app? In managing your location, type in the location or zip.

This is just a thought or suggestion for those of you who are wondering. It is not meant as an expert opinion and I am not an employee of the Weather Channel or the app developer.

CharlesCC2

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Can you disable in the settings in the app? In managing your location, type in the location or zip.

This is just a thought or suggestion for those of you who are wondering. It is not meant as an expert opinion and I am not an employee of the Weather Channel or the app developer.

Oh yeah, definitely. I guess you'd then set up a list of commonly visited zip codes to switch through when you move around. It's not like the weather is going to be vastly different in a city 30 minutes away from you anyway, and most people have a weather reading somewhere in another widget if they want the current temperature. Having location services off probably won't be too big an inconvenience for most with all of that said.

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
What weather channel app ? this must be on US S6's as on the international version you just get weather, this is linked to the clock/weather widget for your home/lock screen

When the widget is touched it brings up the full accuweather info and the weather app allows minor customization, but its google location services that determines if GPS and or wifi and mobile services are used for location not the weather app itself, that just says use location on/off.

If you cant turn GPS off for your weather channel app like the weather app then maybe you can source the apk for just weather app as it seems far less intrusive on battery etc

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
If you turn off location, ads can't get to You?

Just a question and not meant to be sarcastic or judgmental or offensive in any way for those who are wondering.

The only way to avoid ads is with a paid version of an app. The developer wants to generate some income and I can't blame them

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The only way to avoid ads is with a paid version of an app. The developer wants to generate some income and I can't blame them

Unfortunately, no BerryWeather for the GS6.

This post is a response to a prior post or series of posts and is not intended to be sarcastic or judgmental or offensive in any way. I am not a paid attorney spokesperson nor am I a Samsung employee but I am the Korean Thor.

CharlesCC2

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
What weather channel app ? this must be on US S6's as on the international version you just get weather, this is linked to the clock/weather widget for your home/lock screen

When the widget is touched it brings up the full accuweather info and the weather app allows minor customization, but its google location services that determines if GPS and or wifi and mobile services are used for location not the weather app itself, that just says use location on/off.

If you cant turn GPS off for your weather channel app like the weather app then maybe you can source the apk for just weather app as it seems far less intrusive on battery etc

The Weather Channel is an American broadcast channel that is dedicated to weather news. They have an app that is really good, one that hasn't been matched by any other app yet for me personally. Unfortunately it can be a battery sucker at times. Right now for whatever reason it's not even showing up on my list of offenders and is under 3%, but sometimes it shows up in the 15-20% range, which is absurd.

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
NOAA weather free is a great app. It doesn't have the best looking appearance, but it looks ok if you make the background clear. It also provides more current data than the stock app. Anything from Accuweather is ALWAYS an hour behind the most current available data and that's why I refuse to use it. I don't know why more people aren't annoyed with the stock app.

Posted via the Android Central App