Android updates

Sammy Diab

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone. I had a generic question. With all these updates Android releases every few months for our cell phones, I can notice that smartphones nowadays last only so long until storage fills up with all these updates and before 2 years go by with your new cell phone, you most likely have to get a new phone because of this problem.

My question is how can I maximize my cell phone life without installing all these updates that tempt us to utilize. Do I study each update before I apply it? Can I wait for another update, apply that and it'll somehow be a smaller size than the one before and even better? I hope you know where I'm going with this and don't suggest getting a phone with bigger storage because I'm trying find a smart way to save what I have rather than get more.

Posted via the Android Central App

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I think you have a misunderstanding on how updates work. They don't just pile up on the storage of the phone, with every version of software update you've downloaded sitting there, taking up extra space.

When you download and install an update, it *replaces* the previous software on storage. So the old software stuff gets deleted, the new one is applied.

If you have a phone with just 8gb storage, it won't ever run out of storage due to software updates, unless the software OS itself grows to be 8gb. So there's really nothing to worry about.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G920I

Sammy Diab

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
So when ios users would get frustrated because they weren't able to download a new ios version, it was because the update itself only was bigger than their free storage?

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
So when ios users would get frustrated because they weren't able to download a new ios version, it was because the update itself only was bigger than their free storage?

Their fix was just to delete some apps, update, then the install the apps again. Just don't download apps till you can't download anymore. Leave some room. Like maybe 2 or 3 gigs and you'll be fine.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
You should more than fine applying these updates for bug fixes as well as the major Lollipop update coming next month. Even with a 32GB storage model, as along as you don't have apps and files more about 19 or 20 GB. Obviously, less of a concern with the larger storage models of the GS6 and GS6E.

Sammy Diab

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Thank you all for your participation. I had another thread about the new google calendars and how is its making me mad that they don't have the 4x2 widget only 4x4. Nobody answered, so can anyone help with that?

Beyond Fire

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all for your participation. I had another thread about the new google calendars and how is its making me mad that they don't have the 4x2 widget only 4x4. Nobody answered, so can anyone help with that?

If they don't offer that size for the widget then you can install a 3rd party launcher that lets you resize widgets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress