Can Bloat Be Uninstalled?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I was going through my apps and came across the Flipoboard Briefing app can be installed not just unchecking it on the homescreen. Does this mean we can uninstall with no consequences? Was there some update pushed out?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Did you mean it can be uninstalled in your first sentence? I haven't gotten any updates, but if it now gives you the option to uninstall, I don't see why not. You can already disable it without any consequence. Uninstalling would just be going one step further

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Did you mean it can be uninstalled in your first sentence? I haven't gotten any updates, but if it now gives you the option to uninstall, I don't see why not. You can already disable it without any consequence. Uninstalling would just be going one step further
I had read somewhere that there may be some bloat that can't be removed. Until now, I thought all you can do was uninstall them.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The problem is even if you removed the bloatware it won't give you back the space it took up on the phone. The bloatware is part of the OS partition so its not meant to be used for any kind of storage. Its best to just disable (hide it) and carry on.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The problem is even if you removed the bloatware it won't give you back the space it took up on the phone. The bloatware is part of the OS partition so its not meant to be used for any kind of storage. Its best to just disable (hide it) and carry on.
So, it wouldn't decrease the 9.43GB of space present when I I boxed it?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Cool. Still think it's kind of odd that it has the uninstall option when I could swear it wasn't there before.
I don't have that option on my Note 4. Not sure why they'd just add it back, but it doesn't really do you any more good than disabling it does

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't have that option on my Note 4. Not sure why they'd just add it back, but it doesn't really do you any more good than disabling it does

So, if it's part of the original 9.43GB out of the box before anything else, where is being accounted for if not in OS partition? Was it a miscellaneous file?

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Cool. Still think it's kind of odd that it has the uninstall option when I could swear it wasn't there before.

Even on apps you cannot uninstall, you CAN uninstall updates. This reverts the app to what it was originally, but from there, you still cannot remove it. You CAN disable many of the bloat apps so you at least do not have to look at them.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
So, if it's part of the original 9.43GB out of the box before anything else, where is being accounted for if not in OS partition? Was it a miscellaneous file?

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device
I'm not sure how it is on the S6, but the Note 4 has a "System Memory" category when looking at your Storage page in settings, in which all pre-installed apps would be included. That is the /system partition