Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
My guess is 100% that the GS6 gets M.

Before today everyone was banking on Marshmallow. Now a lot of people think Milky Way or Milkshake. I'm fine with any of those three. What are you hoping for?

I have M on my N6 - will let you know in a couple days how battery is treating me.

How is Android M working out on your Nexus 6?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
How is Android M working out on your Nexus 6?

It is very stable, not much in the way of bugs. That said, I haven't noticed much in the way of difference on battery life and some of the new features aren't really backwards compatible - so it's easy to intentionally break apps (through permissions for example) - but also easy to put things back to the way they were. I like it a lot so far. Also playing with a Zen Phone 2, so that's a totally new experience for me.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Android N is for 2016. It has to be before then.

No it usually doesn't on a carrier phone. Android updates usually go live OTA for Nexus devices around November-ish. OEM's get it and make their changes, then push it to carriers who do their own messing around with it and push it OTA to users somewhere around the February-April range (usually closer to the latter). So carrier phones from all brands will be getting M in the Spring of 2016. Android N or whatever it'll be called will arrive near the end of 2016, rinse and repeat.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Is there a reason for it not to get the upgrade?

I might as well ask here, why can't past flagships receive the upgrade. Is it...

Incompatible? I hope this isn't the case, really a flagship that's only two years old can't get it?
Lazy?
Marketing strategy where Google wants to use it as a selling point. Latest, greatest.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Is there a reason for it not to get the upgrade?

I might as well ask here, why can't past flagships receive the upgrade. Is it...

Incompatible? I hope this isn't the case, really a flagship that's only two years old can't get it?
Lazy?
Marketing strategy where Google wants to use it as a selling point. Latest, greatest.
If the carrier branded devices don't get it until 2016Q2, what's the point? If you are keeping the device, that's one thing but folks might be tempted to upgrade instead of waiting.

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
For the majority of us, it won't matter if the S6 receives Android M. For how often we upgrade, few of us will still have the S6 as a daily driver by the time it would see it.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I still don't understand how, with my Verizon Iphone 6, I can get IOS updates really quickly directly from Apple and yet with my wife's Verizon Galaxy S6, we have to wait for a long time until Verizon allows an update.( which is pretty much needed because of the memory issue)

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
For the majority of us, it won't matter if the S6 receives Android M. For how often we upgrade, few of us will still have the S6 as a daily driver by the time it would see it.
If you don't use the carrier installment plans and use the two year plans, an endangered species, then upgrade will be a great help.