Am I expecting too much from this battery

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Definitely something wrong with u phone, should be around 17H left with fully charged and not 10H as it displayed. Install GSAM battery and check on Apps when battery is down to 5-10% and see what apps is draining battery.
Known battery sucker:
AT&T VoLTE - Disable it.
Google Now - can drain battery fast with Any screen Enabled. Also Google positions history, if not using it and disable it.

Fully charged mine usually shows about 29 hours.

Posted via the Android Central App

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting 4 hours SOT on a Sprint S6 with these tweaks ONLY not sacrificing many features:

-Mobile Network mode is LTE/CDMA instead of Auto but unsure if this helps anything atm
-No always scanning for wifi(have to check this setting's default it's something that auto-enables it), smart network swtich or passpoint enabled
-Emails sync every 2 hours(no Gmail sync I use Type Mail)
-Location set to Mobile/Wifi(check this setting after using Map/Navigation programs which enable's High Accuracy some times)
-No "Ok Google" hotword detection at all but that's just a preference not a battery tweak so someone else can speak to that
-I only use Auto-brightness outdoors

Last edited:

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Definitely something wrong with u phone, should be around 17H left with fully charged and not 10H as it displayed. Install GSAM battery and check on Apps when battery is down to 5-10% and see what apps is draining battery.
Known battery sucker:
AT&T VoLTE - Disable it.
Google Now - can drain battery fast with Any screen Enabled. Also Google positions history, if not using it and disable it.

Where can I disable Google Now? I am not sure where to look?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Just turn off history in location and your battery drain will be fixed as Google now won't save or ask for information every 5 mins of the day.

Posted via the zenfone 2

Funny thing is that apparently the Google Play Service version is very different between devices, until all the devices have the same version is not fair for the one with the latest version (S6 and S6 edge) to be compared to other with an older version.

Just got myself an LG G4 brown leather (T-Mobile) it looks gorgeous with that leather cover, not as huge as I thought, so taking advantage of the Free 128 GB SD card from T-Mobile and LG's Free additional battery, Charger and a 32GB SD Card promotions, I decided to get one.

I will definitely comment later on the battery as right now I'm just setting everything's up, (and yes, I'm doing the same tweaks that I always do and don't bother me because I don't need them or use them) but the first thing I've noticed is that this version has both Location History and Reporting, so I could easily turn off Location reporting and left Location History on, kept my GPS only Location on and that by itself will get me a lot better battery life than if I do the same on the S6 because of the Reporting settings now incorporated into the Location History.

Again, I'll post my findings about it, together with the Alcatel Idol 3 (yes, I'm a pone addict) that was supposed to arrive today but it seems it should be here tomorrow, I'll be doing the same with all of them and will let you all know.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
On my zenfone 2 I only have history like my S6. Just saying that.

Posted via the zenfone 2

I spoke too soon, as it just received a Google Play service update and there it went the separate Location History and Reporting and immediately I could see the Location Icon in my Notification bar ALL the time, meaning, draining my battery at a huge speed.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I can't really show you cause I'm at 100 percent is what I'm saying and I just don't think you should have to follow tips. Most people who buy this phone won't be like us and go to these sites and do all this. Just feel out of the box the battery should be better. .....here is stats but does show anything at the moment

Yes, there are adjustments you will have to make and it isn't just to Samsung. This is Android, not iOS and everything isn't set up by default in Android, because most of us don't want that, hence the reason we are using Android.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
You said that you have your phone on Wi-Fi. I have found that when I use Wi-Fi it drains my battery like there is no tomorrow often going through 2% every five minutes. I quickly decided not to use Wi-Fi as much as I could avoid it

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
You said that you have your phone on Wi-Fi. I have found that when I use Wi-Fi it drains my battery like there is no tomorrow often going through 2% every five minutes.

Not normal...I have my phone on wifi 100% at home, and for example this weekend my battery is off charge for 1 day 10 hours, 3:04 mins SOT and 22% remaining.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Not normal...I have my phone on wifi 100% at home, and for example this weekend my battery is off charge for 1 day 10 hours, 3:04 mins SOT and 22% remaining.

I'm starting to get close to six hours of screen on time using 4g

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

That's amazing, I can't say I think I'd reach that and too scared to try as my wife and I only share 2gb of data. If you got unlimited I'd stick with using your data connection.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

One of the first things I posted back in april was that it seems that for some people been connected to a 5ghz wifi router was causing huge drains, once they switched to 2.4ghz connections, everything went back to normal, have you tried that?

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
That's amazing, I can't say I think I'd reach that and too scared to try as my wife and I only share 2gb of data. If you got unlimited I'd stick with using your data connection.

The weird thing is this phone sucks up so little data. Yesterday I was at 43% of my monthly data allowance. Today it's 45%

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
One of the first things I posted back in april was that it seems that for some people been connected to a 5ghz wifi router was causing huge drains, once they switched to 2.4ghz connections, everything went back to normal, have you tried that?

Would I find the setting for that on my Wi-Fi device or on my phone?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Would I find the setting for that on my Wi-Fi device or on my phone?

You can see it in both, but I think it's easier to just login to your Wifi router and look for the wifi connections and try to disable the 5ghz connection, if it works better with the 2.4ghz, great, if not you can simply go back and re-enable it.

If you want to see which one you are currently using, just go to Wifi settings and click in your connection, it will give you a summary of it, and it should show your the frequency.

Obviously, the above is assuming you have already turned off Smart network and Scanning Always available in Wifi settings, and if you have the Wifi calling option to be sure to turn it off until you really need it.

Last edited:

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
You said that you have your phone on Wi-Fi. I have found that when I use Wi-Fi it drains my battery like there is no tomorrow often going through 2% every five minutes. I quickly decided not to use Wi-Fi as much as I could avoid it

I think it's more an LP issue than Samsung, but it's amazing how much it has to be manipulated in order to get decent battery life.

If Android ever wants to attract iPhone users, they'll need to get better optimization out of the box. Not a problem for us obviously, but for the majority of users, I can see why this is an issue.

my personal problem is I shouldn't have to disable a bunch of features, that I pay a pretty penny for, in order for it to run the way it should ... and by "should" I mean getting longer than 4 hours SOT without disabling anything and not having half the stand by issues we've been having.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699