With advanced calling on Verizon using LTE, can I now get a phone without CDMA radio?

A

AC Question

with advanced calling on verizon using LTE can I now get a phone without CDMA radio?

I'm interested in the Samsung S6 active which is exclusive to AT&T, so no CDMA radio. I know this was an issue a few years ago, but with Verizon now allowing calling over LTE do I even need an CDMA radio anymore?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: with advanced calling on verizon using LTE can I now get a phone without CDMA radio?

Welcome to Android Central! In order to use Advanced Calling, the other person has to have it too. So the phone would be useless for making calls to most people.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: with advanced calling on verizon using LTE can I now get a phone without CDMA radio?

You can get a device without cdma radios so long as it is certified on Verizon's network.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Does Advanced Calling allow you to make a VoLTE call to someone who doesn't have VoLTE? The Verizon VoLTE information page specified that these kinds of calls require both devices to have VoLTE. I'm just curious, since I don't use Verizon.

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Does Advanced Calling allow you to make a VoLTE call to someone who doesn't have VoLTE? The Verizon VoLTE information page specified that these kinds of calls require both devices to have VoLTE. I'm just curious, since I don't use Verizon.

I believe the VoLTE part of advanced calling stays in place, even if one-sided. This serves Verizon's needs.
HD Voice comes by way of carrying the same codec from end to end. (G.722.2)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Oh, so VoLTE can call anywhere, but you need two Advanced Calling phones in order to get HD Voice--is that correct?

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Oh, so VoLTE can call anywhere, but you need two Advanced Calling phones in order to get HD Voice--is that correct?

That is my understanding with all carriers.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Yep -- For Verizon and I think AT&T.

That is my understanding with all carriers.

Posted via the Android Central App

T-Mobile can operate HD voice via their normal HSPA network as well. They had HD voice before they had VoLTE.

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

I believe so. If you're a Verizon customer and using the S6, you can enable advanced calling, turn off your wi-fi, call a land line somewhere and then see if you're still able to surf. This will prove that your voice to the tower is a packetized data transmission (VoLTE), along with your surfing being data of course.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the clarification, folks!

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Advanced calling sucks for me. I disabled it. Ever since that update, it's been trash. Do the calls sound funny to anyone else?

Galaxy S6 Gang

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38