real battery life. S6,G4,G3

tbgjlb

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
hello all
I say "real battery life " because I've looked at battery tests on web sites that suggest the G6 has better battery life than the G4 , G3 but in user and journalist longer term reviews tend to go with the G4 being better, so which of these is true in real life .

I also will try to post this in the G4 forum

regards
tbgjl

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
hello all
I say "real battery life " because I've looked at battery tests on web sites that suggest the G6 has better battery life than the G4 , G3 but in user and journalist longer term reviews tend to go with the G4 being better, so which of these is true in real life .

regards
tbgjl

There is no "real life". There are too many variables even in a "controlled" test;

• Carrier
  • OS version
  • Bloatware
  • Settings (which can't always be made consistent for a test)
  • Signal (unless all phones tested at the same location at the same time)
  • Etc

Since these variables - and more - apply to phones "in the wild", those comparing their various experiences with the same phone is all over the map, and not useful. Comparing different phones "in the wild" is completely worthless.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
hello all

regards
tbgjl

I could make my sprint G3 last all day with moderate use. My S6? Naw. I'm lucky to get 14 hours with 2 and a half hours SoT.

Posted via the Android Central App

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday I got 15 hours on my S6 with five and a half hours of screen on time

I know. I've seen your posts. I also know you turn your screen all the way to zero amongst other things to achieve it. I'm not saying it's wrong, just that others like me aren't willing to sacrifice everything the phone is capable of to achieve something that shouldn't be an issue in the first place.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I know. I've seen your posts. I also know you turn your screen all the way to zero amongst other things to achieve it. I'm not saying it's wrong, just that others like me aren't willing to sacrifice everything the phone is capable of to achieve something that shouldn't be an issue in the first place.

100% agree. It's one thing to gain capacity by tweaking or disabling a few things that don't impact usability, but quite another to sacrifice functionality to avoid charging. On my S4, I used Juice Defender Ultimate and while it substantially extended my battery capacity, I found myself either disabling its features or suffering with lost messages, no connectivity, hangs, reboots, etc. I finally realized I was being the phone equivalent of a "miler", those annoying guys that will do anything to maximize their gas mileage, including being a traffic hazard/nuisance, breaking/stretching laws, and stressing themselves out in the name of higher mileage.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
100% agree. It's one thing to gain capacity by tweaking or disabling a few things that don't impact usability, but quite another to sacrifice functionality to avoid charging. On my S4, I used Juice Defender Ultimate and while it substantially extended my battery capacity, I found myself either disabling its features or suffering with lost messages, no connectivity, hangs, reboots, etc. I finally realized I was being the phone equivalent of a "miler", those annoying guys that will do anything to maximize their gas mileage, including being a traffic hazard/nuisance, breaking/stretching laws, and stressing themselves out in the name of higher mileage.

Excuse me but changing my brightness setting doesn't "sacrifice functionality" for me. Any brighter and it impacts functionality for me because I get a headache

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Excuse me but changing my brightness setting doesn't "sacrifice functionality" for me. Any brighter and it impacts functionality for me because I get a headache

Great. Nothing wrong with that as it works for you. Functionality is objective also. But most can't read or see at 0%. If i set mine at 0%, i can get a few more hours but i can't see it, so it dwindles my functionality. Most stick with 30 to 40% to get the right mixture of usage and battery life. So basically, you're in the minority. For me and most others, being at 0 to achieve your kind of usage is non comparable.

Kind of like taking a challengers V8 hemi out and replacing it with a 4 banger Then going into a challenger forum touting you get 33 miles to the gallon.

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
"Real" battery life on the s6 is terrible unless you micro manage and turn every feature off until you need it. Some people somehow get by with doing this. I had this phone on vacation with me and it wouldn't last a single day out. My wife's iphone lasted WAY longer.

Sent from my Samsung S6 using Tapatalk

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
"Real" battery life on the s6 is terrible unless you micro manage and turn every feature off until you need it. Some people somehow get by with doing this. I had this phone on vacation with me and it wouldn't last a single day out. My wife's iphone lasted WAY longer.

And yet, my battery life lasts longer than my m8 with everything turned on.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site

Untrue for me. I have had days where it didn't seem to last as long as my S4, but once it has settled down it seems no worse and often better for me. Your statement is certainly true for you, but since each person has a different complement of apps, different usage patterns, different locations, and different expectations - you cannot infer anything other than your experience. Sure, there are plenty of folks on the forums griping about the battery life of the S6, and a multitude of other ailments. But that's what draws folks to forums. A vast majority of users for any given device are oblivious to the existence or topics of the the forums because they've never had an issue bad enough to drive them to search for answers.

niknik1971

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
48 hours!... that is pretty good. If I am lucky and don't you it to look at maps and things like that I will get about 14 hours max out of it.

revelations65

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
This is today. I had the phone now for about a 3 weeks and I am slowly warming up to it.
This is very decent phone the results are decent here is the results of my daily use today
It looks like I get around 12 hours of uss

Attachments

• 29205.jpg
    29205.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 120

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
hello all

regards
tbgjl

I was lucky to get 12 hours standby and 2.5 hours SoT on the S6 on AT&T. I was getting 5 hours SoT on the G4 for Verizon.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I got 5 days on a charge before realizing it was off the whole time. That expands battery life greatly BTW, try it.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

Great. Nothing wrong with that as it works for you. Functionality is objective also. But most can't read or see at 0%. If i set mine at 0%, i can get a few more hours but i can't see it, so it dwindles my functionality. Most stick with 30 to 40% to get the right mixture of usage and battery life. So basically, you're in the minority. For me and most others, being at 0 to achieve your kind of usage is non comparable.

Kind of like taking a challengers V8 hemi out and replacing it with a 4 banger Then going into a challenger forum touting you get 33 miles to the gallon.

You both hit the nail right on the head about what killed this phone for my next upgrade. There's far too many "guides" on how to get decent battery life. Translation: the S6 has unimpressive battery life without an irritating level of research and user intervention. If sub par battery life is not a purchasing criteria, then basically the S6's only attraction over the G4 and Z3 right now is the camera. I might get tarred and feathered for saying this but if a buyer had no OS preference at all, the iPhone 6+ is looking to be the way to go this year pending Fall releases from nexus, moto, sony for a phone with a superior camera and good battery life, nice build quality, and reliability.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
You both hit the nail right on the head about what killed this phone for my next upgrade. There's far too many "guides" on how to get decent battery life. Translation: the S6 has unimpressive battery life without an irritating level of research and user intervention. If sub par battery life is not a purchasing criteria, then basically the S6's only attraction over the G4 and Z3 right now is the camera. I might get tarred and feathered for saying this but if a buyer had no OS preference at all, the iPhone 6+ is looking to be the way to go this year pending Fall releases from nexus, moto, sony for a phone with a superior camera and good battery life, nice build quality, and reliability.

There's a reason I kept my six plus as well as my S6

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
S6 needs a lot of tweaks to get the battery right. I'm averaging 3.5-4hrs SOT 10-11hrs total (post tweaks). I need one full charge in the afternoon to get me to midnight. Its a great phone but the battery is so-so, I blame the small battery, poor cell reception, WiFi bug drain etc...

dreaming of electric sheep

Last edited:

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Don't dare go into the G4 forums, or any other forum for that matter as you'll also find battery saving settings listed there as well. As for Motorola, they have a history of poor battery life. Nexus, not much better history.

I will say that lollipop has borked battery life for most phones. But it's just easier to blame Samsung. I'll also say that my zf2 and m8 both have the same tweaks to help save battery life as my S6. Nothing different between phones. Oh, and the longest running phone that I have regardless of battery size? The S6.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38