My fingerprint recognition stopped working (it hasn't stopped working altogether; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't) on my Samsung Galaxy S6 4G about a month ago. One of two things happens: either I need to keep trying to swipe my fingerprint for up to a dozen times before it finally works OR my phone asks me for my backup password.

Apparently this is a very common problem. Does anyone know of a solution to this problem that does NOT involve doing a factory reset?

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-06-2016 03:46 AM
    When you say swipe, are you actuallt swiping rather than placing and hold your finger steady - the scanner tech changed from the s5 to the s6 - s5 was a wipe action, s6 is a place and wait. So dont swipe to register or activate the scanner.
    TimmE likes this.
    01-06-2016 03:55 AM
    I have actually found that washing my hands makes a difference.
    01-06-2016 05:10 AM
    Mod Note, Cleaned up a post. I understand that the op is frustrated with his problem, but people are only trying to help. In any event,as a reminder, please follow the PUPPAH

(Be*Polite,*Understanding,*Patient,*Professional,Attentive and*Helpful)

Be polite.*We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.Be understanding and patient.*You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).Be a pro.*Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.Be attentive and helpful.*Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.

Please also take this moment to review the community guidelines

Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-06-2016 09:59 AM
    Delete and save your fingerprints again. Sometimes my fingers get nicked up and that seems to help.

01-06-2016 04:06 PM
    Interesting response. You specifically said swipe in your post, and given changes in the scanner operation from s5 to S6 I thought I would check. No patronising here, just thought it might help you. Hope you find a solution.

01-06-2016 04:16 PM
    Have you tried rebooting the device? Or clearing the cache data in settings>storage?
    01-06-2016 04:47 PM
    Yes to both.

01-06-2016 06:43 PM