Question about USB debugging on Samsung Galaxy S6

mujibyepi

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi. I tried connecting my Samsung Galaxy S6 to my computer to backup photos with a USB cord and the computer does not show the device. I googled this issue, and one solution discussed involves going into "developer options" and setting up something called USB bugging. Here is one of the websites that talks about it:

http://www.solvemix.com/index.php/a...ng-galaxy-s6-activate-usb-debugging-how-to-do

I'm not super tech-savvy, so I'm concerned about trying this - could I screw up my phone? Or is this a simple fix about which there's nothing to worry? Another possible fix I found is to download Smart Switch onto my computer, although seems like it would be nice to be able to connect the phone to any computer and not have to download software to do this.

I'm also curious - why in the world would Samsung do this? Why not just make it so that the device can be seen by computers? That seems like a no-brainer.

Thank you in advance for any assistance on this.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
On Marshmallow, the default when you connect via USB is Charge Only. After connecting, swipe down the notification panel on the phone and tap the USB icon. Change it to MTP (or File Transfer). The computer should recognize it now.