Downloaded mp3 (mail) turns in to annother format and wont play

Krassegrand

Apr 27, 2018
Visit site
When I receive a mp3 file in a mail on my Samsung S6 edge and save it it sometimes (just now) does not save as a mp3-file and therefore don't show in the music player.
I can find it in the download folder but how do I turn it into a mp3 or even better how do I choose the format from the beginning.

Jörgen

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
When using the file manager, what does it show the extension as? If it doesn't show the file extension as part of the file name, try long pressing it and check the details. Does it still show as an mp3 file there? If so, it could be that your music player isn't immediately updating its music list.

If it's truly not saving as an mp3, then I'm not sure what else could be done without using a separate converter. Another possibility is the file type isn't actually being changed, but the email app you're using is changing the extension. Instead of .mp3, it may be naming .mp3audio (or something to that effect) and you need to only rename the extension.

Krassegrand

Apr 27, 2018
Visit site
When I check details it does not show any extension at all. When I check an other file, one that works as mp3 it has the extension .mp3 is it possible in the file manager to add the extension?

Jörgen

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't have that phone, but the file manager in mine will let me rename the file and as the extension.

But I'm still wondering what's going on, because the email service should not be converting the file type. Are you sure what you are receiving from the sender is an mp3 in the first place?

Krassegrand

Apr 27, 2018
Visit site
I just had an idea, it seems it does not save the whole file name. Can it be that the file name is to long and the end of the name gets cut away together with the extension?

In that case, how do I put the extension back on it?

Jörgen

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I just had an idea, it seems it does not save the whole file name. Can it be that the file name is to long and the end of the name gets cut away together with the extension?

In that case, how do I put the extension back on it?

Jögen
Maybe? I've seen file names truncated before, but the extensions were always left intact.

Krassegrand

Apr 27, 2018
Visit site
I tested my idea.
I hooked the phone into my laptop and put the extension on the filename and VOILA: now it shows in the Samsung music player.

Is there any way of doing that without connecting it to the laptop?

Jörgen

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Your built in file manager should be able to but I also found this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.klangappdev.bulkrenamewizard

It claims to be able to batch edit files (which would be a big time saver), including file extensions. I have not used this or similar apps, so I can't vouch for how well it may work. There are other apps similar to it in the Play store, so you may need to try different ones if this doesn't work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress