S7 active top layer replaceable

tjsmith51

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
PpnDZ

After having this phone since July I accidentally put a huge scratch in the poly carb layer. I have been trying to find video or photographic evidence of it being removed and since I could not I decided to have a go anyway. The image above is the layer that came with the phone removed. It is pretty thick. I plan on getting a glass protector as soon as I can but it is nice to actually have a screen which doesn't mark easily and attract finger prints.

Attachments

• 20170215_021909.jpg
    20170215_021909.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 13

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

After having this phone since July I accidentally put a huge scratch in the poly carb layer. I have been trying to find video or photographic evidence of it being removed and since I could not I decided to have a go anyway. The image above is the layer that came with the phone removed. It is pretty thick. I plan on getting a glass protector as soon as I can but it is nice to actually have a screen which doesn't mark easily and attract finger prints.

Even a bit opaque as well... I mean not totally crystal clear. That's interesting... thanks for the info and picture "tj"! Hey, try "Bodyguard HD Contour" Tempered Glass screen protectors - they go on pretty easy, are fairly thick and I don't find (much) of a problem with fingerprints! (I originally said Zagg then realized my AT&T Rep had a problem with the Zagg and ended up using the Bodyguard!)

Last edited:

tjsmith51

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
The screen was fairly dirty and I dropped the adhesive side on the carpet so it is clearer than it shows above. I just wanted to provide photographic evidence that it actually comes off for those nervous about doing so.

I'll give the Bodygaurd protector a shot thank you!

Theo Macris

May 17, 2017
Visit site
Confirmed. I pulled mine off starting at the top corner. I just used a sharp pocket knife (w/lockblade!). Took all of 45 seconds start to finish. Dont dig deep, it is pretty thin.

Not sure why I would put an additional screen protector on Gorilla Glass 4. My last Active 5 screen looked new after 3 years. I dont think an additional layer is going to add much protection, the polycarb was just there to keep all the glass shards in place in the event of breakage I am guessing. same way it works on a windshield; only on a car it is poly carb sandwiched between 2 layers of glass (which would have been the smart way for Samsung to approach this problem).

wtl

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
My S7 Active fell between the seat and center console of my Explorer, and extracting it put a nice inch long scratch in the top layer. I had seen this post some time ago and decided to confirm for myself the top layer was removable. It is, and the glass underneath was pristine. I used an exacto knife on the corner to get it lifted, and from there it came off like any screen protector would. I stuck the phone in a sock and put it away in a drawer until tempered glass screen protectors arrive, lest I scratch that pristine glass.

Note8uzer

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
My screen recently cracked. I'm thinking of removing the plastic top layer and adding a screen protector. Is there anything special you had to do to get the top layer off? . Just pry and hope for the best?

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
My screen recently cracked. I'm thinking of removing the plastic top layer and adding a screen protector. Is there anything special you had to do to get the top layer off? . Just pry and hope for the best?

Just read Post number 46... Theo spells it out pretty well there!

Note8uzer

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm still trying to get the courage up to remove the top layer. I dropped my phone but it looks like the top layer is the only part that is cracked.

Note8uzer

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
It turned out that my screen protector was cracked and the phone has a very little chip on the top layer which I'll peel off tomorrow and let everyone know how it goes.

Note8uzer

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
WOW, this was much easier than I thought. I ordered a SuperShieldz glass screen protector (btw, the screen protector is awesome) and when it arrived I popped off the old screen protector the looked to see where the plastic layer was, gently lifted on the corner and it popped up as easily as the screen protector did. I then cleaned the glass, put on the SuperShieldz and I am back to new. Thanks everyone for the tips/help and replies. I was a tad nervous about ruining the phone and having to pay the insurance for a replacement. This forum is awesome and so is everyone on here.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glda19