Text message notification, but no text

ReporterRaf

Sep 28, 2017
Visit site
I keep getting notified that I have a new text message, but when I check, there's no message.

This is with the default messages app.

If I clear the badge, it goes away, but the next time someone texts me, I get alerted that I have two text messages. One is the new one I was just sent. And the other one doesn't exist. I have to clear the badge again.

Anyone know what gives?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Try going to the App Manager, tap Menu>Show System, and look for something like BadgeProvider. Clear its cache/data, then see if the problem persists.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just to clarify -- are you only seeing an unread badge count of "1", or are you also getting a notification in the status bar?

Splurgelex

Sep 19, 2018
Visit site
It's happening to me too. I even did a system reset and the problem persists. I thought it was the Facebook app conflicting with it, but I uninstalled it and still happening.

Jessmae998

Dec 11, 2018
Visit site
Hi all,
I was having the same issue and the solution (in this case, for me) was super simple and I wanted to post it in case it helped anyone else. I had a "new" text message waaaaay back in my texts that I had never opened so it still showed as new inside of the messaging app, it would not show a new message notification on it's own but everytime I got a new text it was showing as an extra new message, as in, it said I have two new messages but there was only one. This was driving me crazy! After googling with no luck I accidentally figured it out! I just scrolled down through ALL of my texts and found a message that still had the the blue 1 icon under the date, clicked on that message to "read" it and yaaay problem solved!

NoahFecks

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
This just started for me a couple weeks ago, I believe after I was included in a group text. Now when I receive a single text the badge will read 2, and after reading the 1 text I received I have to close and reopen the text app to clear the badge. Sometimes I will have a badge with 1 and no new message at all. Have cleared caches and data and still does it. Since the BadgeProvider only applies to Samsung phones, not gonna help on my LG G6.

Edit: Apparently it had to do with a Facebook Messenger update. I found a setting under Notifications in Messenger called "Other" which was toggled on. I turned it off and the second notifications have gone away. Seems odd though since I've never used or allowed Messenger SMS or MMS permissions.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non