Bricked? (FRP lock)

Buffdudee

Aug 3, 2020
Visit site
Hey,

My grandmother has S7 edge and suddenly yesterday her phone was turned off and when trying to power it on there was text on screen: Custom binary blocked by FRP lock". After some research I became to conclusion that I need to flash the stock firmware using Odin, so I found the correct files for the phone. Odin diplayed "pass" indicating that the flashing was success, but after that the phone was stuck in the samsung logo screen. After researching what should be done at this point, I decided to reset the device to factory via the recovery menu because we had backup of the files on the phone. During the process to reset the phone, it got stuck in some kind of loop where some text flashed on and off on the bottom of the screen indicating some files missing etc. power turned off and phone doesn't turn on anymore and not recognized via USB either.

Is there anything that can be done anymore or is the phone done at this point?

ps. Phone was bought new from a store by me (it was previously my phone). It was not rooted or anything so I'm wondering what caused the FRP lock in the first place.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi , welcome to AC!

Looks like should move on from this device , the reason why FRP came on because incorrect password and user name for the account.

Buffdudee

Aug 3, 2020
Visit site
Hi , welcome to AC!

Looks like should move on from this device , the reason why FRP came on because incorrect password and user name for the account.

Thanks for the answer. I thought it might be time for new phone. Can you tell more precisely what You mean by incorrect password? How does it happen and why doesn't it happen to people more often?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the answer. I thought it might be time for new phone. Can you tell more precisely what You mean by incorrect password? How does it happen and why doesn't it happen to people more often?

FRP is Factory Reset Protection, which is a theft deterrent security feature (so we can't help you bypass it). If a phone is not factory reset properly, it requires the Gmail and password of the account that was on the device at the time of the reset. This is to verify the owner and prevent a thief from simply resetting a device to use or sell off. This probably does happen more often than you'd think, but the device requires the login during the next setup and most people complete the verification with no issue.

To prevent this from happening in the first place is to at least perform the factory reset via the phone settings. It's not required for that method, but I prefer to first remove all Google accounts before resetting just in case something glitches. You can also factory reset from the recovery menu, but this does require removing all Google accounts first to prevent FRP from kicking in.

What is throwing me off in your case is the custom binary lock message. I don't recall seeing that associated specifically with an FRP notice, but that basically means a bad custom OS was installed. Considering how the phone apparently reset itself and now gives that message, I would guess a possible hardware defect that caused data corruption. That could easily explain the sudden and failed reset.

I'm think I'm with Mustang on this one. Even without the security discussion issue, I think I would move on. The phone is getting up there in age, and taking it to a repair shop to dig in enough to figure it out is going to cost more than the phone is worth.

Buffdudee

Aug 3, 2020
Visit site
FRP is Factory Reset Protection, which is a theft deterrent security feature (so we can't help you bypass it). If a phone is not factory reset properly, it requires the Gmail and password of the account that was on the device at the time of the reset. This is to verify the owner and prevent a thief from simply resetting a device to use or sell off. This probably does happen more often than you'd think, but the device requires the login during the next setup and most people complete the verification with no issue.

To prevent this from happening in the first place is to at least perform the factory reset via the phone settings. It's not required for that method, but I prefer to first remove all Google accounts before resetting just in case something glitches. You can also factory reset from the recovery menu, but this does require removing all Google accounts first to prevent FRP from kicking in.

What is throwing me off in your case is the custom binary lock message. I don't recall seeing that associated specifically with an FRP notice, but that basically means a bad custom OS was installed. Considering how the phone apparently reset itself and now gives that message, I would guess a possible hardware defect that caused data corruption. That could easily explain the sudden and failed reset.

I'm think I'm with Mustang on this one. Even without the security discussion issue, I think I would move on. The phone is getting up there in age, and taking it to a repair shop to dig in enough to figure it out is going to cost more than the phone is worth.

Hey, thanks for the clear answer. I'm leaning towards the hardware defect also now that you've mentioned it, because this happened so suddenly. Time for a new phone shopping.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Samsung will unlock it if you show them proof of purchase you are the original owner. Why tell him to buy new phone....
Hi, welcome to AC!

As stated in @Mooncatt post , it's locked by users Google account, they tried flash the stock firmware and still locked , how will Samsung unlock a device that locked by user account?
When you trade in a Samsung phone to Samsung they ask you to make sure you factory reset in settings to remove user accounts that would prevent them from getting in .

Woodchipalido

Jul 13, 2021
Visit site
Hi, welcome to AC!

As stated in @Mooncatt post , it's locked by users Google account, they tried flash the stock firmware and still locked , how will Samsung unlock a device that locked by user account?
When you trade in a Samsung phone to Samsung they ask you to make sure you factory reset in settings to remove user accounts that would prevent them from getting in .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non