S7 edge Battery life

AS7Edge

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Hello new here, I just picked up a galaxy edge 7 from t-mobile and I'm loving the phone and battery life
Screenshot_20160513-095851_zpscdjqj17z.png

yomny Martinez

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Best battery hands downs, I've had the pleasure of dealing with including Apple's. This is not light usage but constant checking IG, FB and some youtube videos along the way. Also a few 'crazy birds' rounds during my lunch hour, checking the briefing news every hour or so as well as contact email work. It will easily get me 12hrs+

Screenshot_20160513_140854.png

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm getting really good battery life myself after the first week. Coming home from work with 20% or better remaining, which is almost as good as my M8. No complaints at all.

sleeptech

May 14, 2016
Visit site
I disabled all the recommended bloatwares by the app except for Facebook and samsung photo editor.

Edit: I achieved 7.5 hours SOT.

a140b0872248ec66f6a1db1e57354ae7.jpg

3f1c8ddd386d01182004978e22183a7d.jpg

Last edited:

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I think mine might be sorted. Took it off charge and have streamed pocketcasts to the car and been on 4G with a couple of calls for the past 2 hours and I'm at 94%. Over the past while this would have been 80% at best.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I disabled things through package disabler Pro but I don't notice any difference - my phone's battery is still draining and not getting enough SOT to compensate, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
What did you change to sort this out?

This might sound strange but I really think it was smart switch that caused my issue. I had been blaming the APD3 update, but when I got that update I factory reset and did a smart switch from my Oneplus One. Since that I'd been having problems with something running in the background that I couldn't pinpoint, and a few services that didn't look like they belonged (though I'm not 100% sure on those but after a lot of Googling apps like OM Customise didn't seem to be a Samsung thing).
Anyway, then I remembered a PocketCasts issue that I'd been having when streaming to my car on the Oneplus that I'd never had before on a phone (was only using the One a week, PocketCasts would not pause audio for a call and would randomly stop and jump back a few minutes when restarted). I'd started having these exact problems on the S7 too so I was suspecting something carried over that shouldn't.
In the end I factory reset and used no backups at all but started completely fresh. The battery issue and podcast Bluetooth issue have both gone away (have 76% remaining with 8m keep awake so far, before my keep awake over 7 hours off charge would have been at least 6h30m). Maybe the issues will come back but it looks good so far.

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Back when I had a s6, I read somewhere that if you use any sort of backup program to back up ur phone and then transfer it to your phone, supposedly the battery life is worse. Since then I've always started fresh and had no issues.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
My battery was perfectly fine before I updated the phone to the April security patch. Something went amiss since then and my battery keeps on draining and nothing I'm doing is helping it. I am trying to avoid doing a factory reset because it took me a long time to get my phone to where it is now and I hate the thought of starting all over. The factory reset might not even work and it would be all for nothing. I just hope that the next update will fix whatever issue is causing for my battery to train. I have to charge my phone twice a day now when before, I only had to charge it once, or maybe once every other day. It just makes no sense because I'm not doing anything different to my phone now than what I was before.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Back when I had a s6, I read somewhere that if you use any sort of backup program to back up ur phone and then transfer it to your phone, supposedly the battery life is worse. Since then I've always started fresh and had no issues.

I'll be doing the same in future. Only for the Pocketcasts thing being so annoying and getting me thinking, I'd barely have remembered doing the smart switch.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site

So when I got my S7 Edge they did the samsung smart switch to transfer everything from my Note 5. I am thinking of doing a factory reset to start fresh but how will I get my pictures and text messages back on my phone without a transfer service? Do those hurt or is it the apps and settings and such?

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
One of the reasons why I don't want to do a factory reset and start new is because I like that I was able to transfer my text messages over to my new phone. I wasn't able to do that when I switched from iPhone to the S5 2 years ago, so it feels comforting knowing that I was able to keep the text messages. That's very important to me. I have my pictures on my SD card, which is fine, and the apps I can always re-download myself, but if I were to lose my text messages, I would be disappointed. That's one of the things I didn't like about switching from iPhone to Android - I wasn't able to transfer my text messages over to the new device so I am thrilled that Samsung made a solution for that. I just hope that whatever is draining my battery will fix itself with the next update.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
This might sound strange but I really think it was smart switch that caused my issue. I had been blaming the APD3 update, but when I got that update I factory reset and did a smart switch from my Oneplus One. Since that I'd been having problems with something running in the background that I couldn't pinpoint, and a few services that didn't look like they belonged (though I'm not 100% sure on those but after a lot of Googling apps like OM Customise didn't seem to be a Samsung thing).
Anyway, then I remembered a PocketCasts issue that I'd been having when streaming to my car on the Oneplus that I'd never had before on a phone (was only using the One a week, PocketCasts would not pause audio for a call and would randomly stop and jump back a few minutes when restarted). I'd started having these exact problems on the S7 too so I was suspecting something carried over that shouldn't.
In the end I factory reset and used no backups at all but started completely fresh. The battery issue and podcast Bluetooth issue have both gone away (have 76% remaining with 8m keep awake so far, before my keep awake over 7 hours off charge would have been at least 6h30m). Maybe the issues will come back but it looks good so far.

I'm not a huge fan of Smart Switch. In my case both a restore from my LG G4 when I first got the S7E, and then a restore that came from the S7E after I did a FDR a month or so in, left a lot to be desired. I didn't find I had any rogue apps as a result. My complaint was more that Smart Switch didn't restore anywhere near enough data. I still had to take quite a bit of time to get things as they were. Note that I had used LG Backup a number of times and it did a far superior job in putting things back as they'd been. So, I do have something with which to compare Smart Switch.

That said, I did have the rogue app issue with LG Backup when I used it for restore. When I first got my LG G4 I restored a backup and wound up with the Fenix app for Twitter running rogue, giving me very high Keep Awake times. The problem was that it wasn't evident from Fenix's own battery stats. The Keep Awake time showed up in Android OS. It came down to a week or so of trial and error to pinpoint Fenix. I don't think Fenix is a problem itself, but the way it was restored caused an issue. I figure that's also a possibility with Smart Switch.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
One of the reasons why I don't want to do a factory reset and start new is because I like that I was able to transfer my text messages over to my new phone. I wasn't able to do that when I switched from iPhone to the S5 2 years ago, so it feels comforting knowing that I was able to keep the text messages. That's very important to me. I have my pictures on my SD card, which is fine, and the apps I can always re-download myself, but if I were to lose my text messages, I would be disappointed. That's one of the things I didn't like about switching from iPhone to Android - I wasn't able to transfer my text messages over to the new device so I am thrilled that Samsung made a solution for that. I just hope that whatever is draining my battery will fix itself with the next update.

There are 3rd party backup and restore apps available for your texts. SMS Backup & Restore by Carbonite seems to be among the best in the Play Store. It's rated 4.5 with 10 million downloads, has been updated earlier this year, and it's free (you can also pay for an ad-free version if you choose):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en

Saving text messages isn't a huge thing for me, but I have used the above app recently and it worked flawlessly. Even if you choose to not do a FDR, it seems text backups are important enough to you that you should probably have one of these type apps, regardless.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

One thing I always do after any sort of major update is unistall and then reinstall any large apps including third party launchers, and then disable and enable all Samsung and Google Apps. Works like a charm for me everytime.

Posted via the Android Central App

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
One thing I always do after any sort of major update is unistall and then reinstall any large apps including third party launchers, and then disable and enable all Samsung and Google Apps. Works like a charm for me everytime.

Posted via the Android Central App

I'll try that next time I update. I'm on AT&T and still on the April security patch. Every time I check my phone for updates, it says it's up to date, so I'm still waiting.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a huge fan of Smart Switch. In my case both a restore from my LG G4 when I first got the S7E, and then a restore that came from the S7E after I did a FDR a month or so in, left a lot to be desired. I didn't find I had any rogue apps as a result. My complaint was more that Smart Switch didn't restore anywhere near enough data. I still had to take quite a bit of time to get things as they were. Note that I had used LG Backup a number of times and it did a far superior job in putting things back as they'd been. So, I do have something with which to compare Smart Switch.

That said, I did have the rogue app issue with LG Backup when I used it for restore. When I first got my LG G4 I restored a backup and wound up with the Fenix app for Twitter running rogue, giving me very high Keep Awake times. The problem was that it wasn't evident from Fenix's own battery stats. The Keep Awake time showed up in Android OS. It came down to a week or so of trial and error to pinpoint Fenix. I don't think Fenix is a problem itself, but the way it was restored caused an issue. I figure that's also a possibility with Smart Switch.

That's exactly what I was getting in mine too. Massive awake times in Android System but nothing showing as the reason in the sepatate app battery stats.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez