Rooting S7 Edge ADVICE NEEDED

inffy

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Also bear in mind that the new Samsung browser supports adblockers. No need to pay for one as there is free ones like Crystal in the play store

brava27

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I rooted my one month old Note 5. The problem with Lollipop and most likely Marshmallow is that it is harder to root so pretty much the only way to root is to load a custom kernel onto the phone. Once that is done, all you have to do is instal SuperSU and do whatever else you want. I even tried a few different ROMs, one of them had all the bloat removed.

I ended up restoring back to the stock firmware because with all the root methods I tried (ROMs had root baked in), all of them were not stable. My phone would reboot at random times and especially when I would be in the middle of a phone call.

I will not be rooting my S7 Edge after the experience I had with my Note 5.
You need to do more research. I own a rooted note 5 and it works absolutely perfectly. Never rebooted once. Also marshmallow will be just as easy to root like lollipop was. Give it some time.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
You need to do more research. I own a rooted note 5 and it works absolutely perfectly. Never rebooted once.

I don't have the time to keep trying to find something that works. I've been on vacation the last 10 days so I had some time to mess with this stuff. I go back to work on Wednesday so I had to give up and just go stock.

I don't need root to do what I was trying to do with root anyways and that is to block ads in apps, I'm doing that just fine with Adguard.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I've rooted all my previous Android phones, but I'm not sure I care that much any more. The main reasons I've rooted are for app backups and ad blocking, but I can now do that with an unrooted phone. In the past, rooting let me make noticeable improvements in performance, but this generation of phones appears to perform well enough that probably won't be an issue.

There are certainly some capabilities and customizations I'll give up by not rooting, but nothing I can't live without, I think. I plan to keep it stock for at least the first year. After that we'll see how it goes. Maybe someone will figure out a root method that keeps Samsung / Android Pay intact. One the warranty is up, I don't care too much about tripping the Knox flag.

Ashley Elson

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
That was a very interesting, if not a little confusing in places, read. I think I need to read it again to understand fully though.

Posted via the Android Central App

Joe J1

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I've been on note 5 stock just rooted with xposed min min guard adblock etc. rock stable. Yeah i didn't mess with any roms for it. No need. I'm debating rooting the s7 edge this time too and Adguard for non root is awesome.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I've been on note 5 stock just rooted with xposed min min guard adblock etc. rock stable. Yeah i didn't mess with any roms for it. No need. I'm debating rooting the s7 edge this time too and Adguard for non root is awesome.

I decided to try one of the custom ROMs once again that I tried previously. I just got tired if the poor battery life on my Note 5.

After installing that ROM, I let the phone sit there barley using it to see how the standby would be. After 6 hrs, the battery was at 98%. Much much better. Now it is at 85% 10 hrs in and 45 minutes screen time. This seems like it is more on track to what it should be.

I have no idea what was causing my battery to drain so quickly on the stock OS.

I will not be rooting my Edge since Adguard is doing everything that I would normally root my phones for anyways.

Joe J1

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Yeah it can be annoying if your battery life is like that. My note 5 battery life has been great 5 to 6 1/2 screen on time with heavy mixed use. So i'm hoping to get an hour or two more with the s7 edge. This is the first phone i might not root right away too. So i don't lose samsung pay and thank goodness for adguard

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
While waiting for my Edge to arrive I am getting to know about it as much as possible and I had the same doubt about micro as card adoption into internal memory touch wiz does allow memory adoption (marshmallow feature of adoptive storage) which doesn't need root just YouTube a video searching " how to get adoptable storage on Galaxy s7edge " and you will get the video it's kinda easy @OP